996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

5 Things you hate about your TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:45 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
5 Things you hate about your TT

list them here, I think i have 1 complain :
1. wife complains how small the car is - "low to the ground".

Last edited by MadWhip; 05-06-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Jeff_DML is on a distinguished road
I don’t drive it enough

Old 05-06-2016, 02:14 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
The battery drain while parked
Tire options
The worry about the coolant pipes
I dont get to drive it enough
Lack of front lip options

Old 05-06-2016, 02:16 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I don't want to be negative or upset anyone but I hate the bad press from the purist about the 996's, the lights and the fact it is the first water cooled engine... I really like the 996TT as it is and also like working on it (on them I should say ;-)

Old 05-06-2016, 03:07 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
They did more right than wrong, but these are some things that bug me.

- The crappy handling balance (in stock form). Porsche knows how to make a 911 handle, quit assuming the turbo buyers are posers.

- Almost useless arm rest

- The fact that you can't completely turn off the stability control

- Lack of clutch feel, due to using a sprung disk and flywheel

Last edited by Steve Jarvis; 05-09-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:17 PM
MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !
I have more than 5...
  1. Cost of parts/maintenance/repair
  2. 19" Tire options for AWD
  3. The battery drain while parked
  4. Coolant line concerns (I'm addressing now but shouldn't have to!!!!)
  5. Can't turn of stability control completely
  6. 2001 - no glove box

ETA: I added a Wavetrac "LSD", so that's off of my list. I also get annoyed with the legion of 996 TT haters who act like it's not a real Porsche 911 turbo because it's water cooled with "funny" headlights. Seriously?

Last edited by MotoJB; 05-06-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:55 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
I really have to nitpick to come up with anything to list.

-Center console feels unfinished compared to the rest of the interior covered in leather.
-no LSD
-has a sunroof

I could probably come up with more if mine was stock.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:23 PM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
I don't like all the boost leaks/hoses getting loose or popping off.
This happens more often since my 1.2 bar tune.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:39 PM
drinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of light
1- Reliability (cooling pipes, clutch slave, spoiler hydraulics, etc)
2- Can't change the exhaust (no such thing as cat-back)
3- MOST audio system
4- Can't lower it because of long overhangs
5- Can't drive it because of #1

Old 05-06-2016, 07:12 PM
jberb55 is on a distinguished road
1. Crap quality of the carbon fiber steering wheel
2. Can't buy an X73 suspension
3. Window regulators
4. Can't replace the valet key. WTF do previous owners do with them all?
5. Tie: ignition cylinder and oil pressure sensor sender unit thingy

Old 05-06-2016, 07:17 PM
crash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to behold
1. Cost of parts. They still reflect the original ~$130k sticker, even for aftermarket parts
2. Coolant pipes, seriously porsche?
3. Tire options are super limited
4. Reliability (Things seem to break way too early, door latches, spoiler hydraulics, clutch slave, etc)
5. Haters of the headlights (not necessarily the headlights, though I do think the car would look better with circle lights)

Old 05-06-2016, 08:16 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
My TT is my 7th Porsche, second 996. I've owned the TT going on 6 years, owned the previous one 7 years, have owned a Boxster going on 15 years. I know them pretty well. Nothing I hate about them. I knew and studied each model for months before making a purchase so I feel I already knew most everything about them before being an owner. No surprises.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:20 PM
juanbenae is on a distinguished road
in researching the car further detail after purchase I became much more aware of many, if not all of the items listed above. I did through research and was aware prior to purchase as well, just more specific "sky is falling" aware post purchase in forum study.

what im finding most difficult is the fact that I do not know the car inside & out for DIY projects coming from aircooled. have owned an SC taking it from street car to racecar over a period of 10+ years racing it for 6 after that I knew the car like the back of my hand. having turned most every nut & bolt at one point or another on that car I do not feel as connected to this car when driving or working on it. I hope that over time this feeling will diminish.

if I would list anything(s) it'd be--

*the battery drain when not driven
*the vague shifting mechanism/action(who'd have thought one would prefer an old 915 box shifting over something so contemporary)
*that it has a stereo

Last edited by juanbenae; 05-06-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:34 PM
juanbenae is on a distinguished road
regarding the headlamp shape & critics. has there not been a reasonably priced vinyl kit to black out portions of the shape to give more a round appearance and maintaining the fog signal functions?

Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Hate is a strong word but a few items that could be better:
* Stock handling is not on par with the overall performance of the car (fixed in the meantime);
* Having to worry about coolant lines;
* Clutch feel. I've gotten somewhat used to it but my BMW was lightyears better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5 Things you hate about your TT