996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Weight of stock hood vs. CF hood, 22lb weight savings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 08:32 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Shorai Battery - 4lbs
Straight Pipes - 7 lbs
Remove rear bumper support 19 lbs
Take one seat out (25-30 lbs)

There are composite hoods out there that are cheaper than typical CF and weight 12 lbs (downside, must be painted).

Old 11-13-2016, 04:06 AM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
Li-Ion batterry - checked, ordered from liteblox.de - capacity12,5Ah/37,5Ah (nom / Pb-eq)
Straight Pipes - already running those
Bumper support - thats still safe in case of an accident on the track?
One seat out - will do it soon

Have no problem to paint the hood, will search on ebay too as I have seen lots of offeres there

Old 11-13-2016, 05:27 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
if your only taking the seat out for track duty dont forget to remoi\ve the seat belt receptcle and leave it plugged in inside the car. tie wrap it to the harness on the floorboard. then you wont have an airbag light when yopu plug the battery back in

Old 11-13-2016, 08:27 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
The irony of this weight saving thing is that most drivers that plop down in the car are obese or close to it (me included). My ideal weight is 50 or 60 lbs less. That equals a LOT of removed / lightened parts... Need to get back on that diet...

Old 11-13-2016, 08:47 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
True. Because its easier to put the onus on the car to lose weight instead of ourselves. It's the fast food generation, how much stuff do we pay for when a little effort would accomplish the same thing?

Old 11-13-2016, 12:54 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fadi
Li-Ion batterry - checked, ordered from liteblox.de - capacity12,5Ah/37,5Ah (nom / Pb-eq)
Straight Pipes - already running those
Bumper support - thats still safe in case of an accident on the track?
One seat out - will do it soon

Have no problem to paint the hood, will search on ebay too as I have seen lots of offeres there
Once you decide to gut the car weight savings are easy and getting to 3000 or less is doable. I was referring to keeping the car visually in stock form and street legal while trying to cut weight much below 3100. I personally would not remove the bumper support. It has saved us on a number of occasions on our race car where contact was made from behind. Without the bumper support we would have been done. This is on cars used in wheel to wheel racing so running the TT in time trial is a different story but still, there is a lot of expensive hardware being protected by that bumper support. It's all a gamble and the question is "do you feel lucky?"

Old 11-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Havent even touched on gutting savings yet. Taking a seat out is hardly gutting and has nothing to do with legality. Takes a few miuntes to reinstall. That or spring for super expensive light weight seats. You lost the stock looking when you put a big ole wing on the back. These are relatively cheap ways to save weight.

The rear bumper support is made for like 5mph impacts. If you have any serious impact, they arent helping much. In DE getting rear ended is super rare.

There are always sacrifices for more speed.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:56 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Havent even touched on gutting savings yet. Taking a seat out is hardly gutting and has nothing to do with legality. Takes a few miuntes to reinstall. That or spring for super expensive light weight seats. You lost the stock looking when you put a big ole wing on the back. These are relatively cheap ways to save weight.

The rear bumper support is made for like 5mph impacts. If you have any serious impact, they arent helping much. In DE getting rear ended is super rare.

There are always sacrifices for more speed.
Who said emoving a seat impacts legality? Again, it's easy to get below 3000lbs when you start gutting the car and I'm not gonna get into what constitutes gutting a car as everyone has their own definition. Getting it much below 3100 while retaining streetability and street legality with bumpers and an exhaust, not so much so. Stock wing or aftermarket wing makes no difference as they are about the same weight. Many people like to keep the cars dual purpose and when you do so getting them super lightweight ain't gonna be easy.. All a question of how extreme one wants to go and if they still wanna use the car on the occasional weekend on the street which probably covers 99% of the people on this forum. Plus there is always the satisfaction of being able to drive your car to the track and then out driving the guys in their trailered single purpose gutted race cars.

And yes, there are always sacrafices for more speed.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 11-13-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:44 PM
None of my suggestions were "gutting" the car. But 3100 is doable with an interior.

As far as trailering, it may be good for pride but that's about it in this hobby with it's inherent risks. An off is not always in your control (spilled fluid), and neither are failures (tire, gear, boost hose....... hub). You also limit the distance you can realistically travel and how much use on your tires you can go to an event with, assuming you aren't towing a small trailer with your car, which does give you a little more flexibility. And you will still almost always be slower than someone with equal talent/car and a trailer due to the limitations of driving to the track.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:55 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
I woudnt risk to get of the bumper support in this case, more thinking how to remove the stereo, amps, speakers and still keeping a clean look dash error free.. not sure that is possible but will try soon

Old 11-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
None of my suggestions were "gutting" the car. But 3100 is doable with an interior.

As far as trailering, it may be good for pride but that's about it in this hobby with it's inherent risks. An off is not always in your control (spilled fluid), and neither are failures (tire, gear, boost hose....... hub). You also limit the distance you can realistically travel and how much use on your tires you can go to an event with, assuming you aren't towing a small trailer with your car, which does give you a little more flexibility. And you will still almost always be slower than someone with equal talent/car and a trailer due to the limitations of driving to the track.
Again, gutting is a relative term. I never said 3100 w/ interior is not doable. I said getting "much below 3100" is not going to be easy.

I always trailer my car for the reasons you point out but still have the option of hopping in IF I wanted to go out for a couple of hours to make a few hot laps without the hassles of picking up the trailer, loading, unloading, blah blah. For many guys it's fun to see how far a street legal platform can be pushed versus turning laps in a single purpose race prepped car on slicks... I enjoy doing both...

Last edited by pwdrhound; 11-13-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Fadi
I woudnt risk to get of the bumper support in this case, more thinking how to remove the stereo, amps, speakers and still keeping a clean look dash error free.. not sure that is possible but will try soon
Leaving the bumper support is the smart way to go for your use Fadi. Just PM'd you the part number for the front suspension parts. Cheers...

Old 11-13-2016, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Again, gutting is a relative term. I never said 3100 w/ interior is not doable. I said getting "much below 3100" is not going to be easy.

I always trailer my car for the reasons you point out but still have the option of hopping in IF I wanted to go out for a couple of hours to make a few hot laps without the hassles of picking up the trailer, loading, unloading, blah blah. For many guys it's fun to see how far a street legal platform can be pushed versus turning laps in a single purpose race prepped car on slicks... I enjoy doing both...
I understand the challenge, and have done it before myself. Honestly though, there isn't much difference outside of the investment in safety. Cage , containment seat, fire suppression. Most dedicated track cars outside of outrageous builds still run at around the same weight as they would in street/track mode. Most of the additional weight reduction is to counteract the weight of the cage (200+ lbs usually) and other safety stuff.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:41 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
The vendor I used in England is unfortunately out of business Fadi. For hoods I'm using a company in the US that provides CF parts for PMNA.

I'm at 3160 (1433kg) with 3/4 tank, CF hood, and inconel exhaust, shaved carpets, A/C delete, sunroof delete, roll bar, etc. I can't see getting to 1400 without gutting the interior or other parts of the car if you wanna keep it dual purpose.
More info on this carpet shaving? I assume this is for the foam from the back.... Any best methods of doing this?

Old 11-14-2016, 01:09 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
More info on this carpet shaving? I assume this is for the foam from the back.... Any best methods of doing this?
did mine after pwdrhound posted doing his. a plastic scraper and your hands are all thats needed. grab it and peel as much as you can scrap the rest with a scraper. i left some at the edges so i wouldnt tear the seams all in all i got about 17 lbs off the carpet and it fits as stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight of stock hood vs. CF hood, 22lb weight savings