996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Weight of stock hood vs. CF hood, 22lb weight savings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:24 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Weight of stock hood vs. CF hood, 22lb weight savings

For those that were wondering, the OEM hood weighs 32lbs, 04oz. I just installed a CF hood which weighs 10lbs 01oz for a net savings of over 22lbs. Don't ask me to post details as I did that earlier but everything was deleted by the moderators. In any case, the weight savings is substantial. I will add the numbers to the weight loss thread..

Last edited by pwdrhound; 08-10-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:28 PM
gclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond repute
I don't get it, what happened?

Old 08-09-2016, 06:35 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gclasse
I don't get it, what happened?
I posted pictures of a couple of different CF hoods I purchased and the respective weight of the CF hood compared to the OEM steel hood (the weight of the OEM hood has always been a bit of a mystery). I specifically said I have none available (as I sold the extras I had prior to posting this) to make it clear I was not selling any items as I'm not a sponsor here, notwithstanding the fact that I had none to sell anyway. Pretty ridiculous.... I guess next time I post a picture of anything I should preface it with a headline that says "ITEM(S) SHOWN IN THIS THREAD ARE NOT FOR SALE, ONLY FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES!"

Last edited by pwdrhound; 08-09-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:41 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
For those that were wondering, the OEM hood weighs 32lbs, 04oz. I just installed a CF hood which weighs 10lbs 01oz for a net savings of over 22lbs. I posted pictures of it earlier but everything was deleted by the moderators. In any case, the weight savings is substantial. I will add the numbers to the weight loss thread..
Who makes the hood you used and how does it fit?TIA Joe

Old 08-09-2016, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by joetwint
Who makes the hood you used and how does it fit?TIA Joe
I don't believe I'm allowed to state the company name as they are not a sponsor here... Thread would probably get deleted again as it would be viewed as advertising for a non vendor. I think...

Old 08-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Hah cant believe that was deleted. They looked awesome though, hope you're going to use the matte one with the crest!

Old 08-09-2016, 07:36 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Matte with one of the custom crests in the forsale forum would rock! I'll look elsewhere to see if you posted as I'm betting the pics are still there (sigh). Was the fitment good? That always seems to be the issue with body parts.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:43 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
So, why was I able to post my bumper even though it wasn't a sponsor?

To not be able to post parts do to sponsorship would be bullchit

Old 08-09-2016, 10:44 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Cool dude! text some photos to me! Would love to see.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:55 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
You've got to work the loopholes. Post a pic of a sponsored part with the non sponsored parts incidentally in the background.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:34 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
PM sent.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:26 AM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
FYI - I found that I needed cup car hood shocks / gas dampers when I moved to a super light weight carbon hood. I would snap the hood if I left the stock ones in place.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:43 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LQQK
FYI - I found that I needed cup car hood shocks / gas dampers when I moved to a super light weight carbon hood. I would snap the hood if I left the stock ones in place.
You can also use the stock 997 gas springs as the 997 has an aluminum hood that weighs considerably less than the 996 part. Now that John has posted the weight of the 996 hood, I will post the weight of the 997 hood and my aftermarket 997 CF hood. Just going by feel, I am not really saving any significant weight over the aluminum hood, but a 7GT2RS "tribute" build would not be right without it.

I can't believe IB deleted the original thread. Chuck, if you read this, this is what I meant with my reference to leniency in my PM to you the other day. This is what makes the board unpleasant to use. Vertical Scope more or less killed a board that we(as a company) sponsor - if IB continues, the same will happen here. In dubio pro reo will keep us users much happier - and in the long run any shareholders involved in IB.

Sorry. Rant over.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by LQQK
6Cup PET shows the same part number for the hood shock as on the regular 6TT/GT2/3. They just specify only a single shock. I'm using the 6GT3RS shocks which were designed for the OEM RS carbon hood. You can also use worn out stock shocks as those work well.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:24 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Hey if u dont mind can u pm me the info on the hood?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight of stock hood vs. CF hood, 22lb weight savings