996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Weight of stock hood vs. CF hood, 22lb weight savings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 04:33 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
More info on this carpet shaving? I assume this is for the foam from the back.... Any best methods of doing this?
Just like Steve said above. I used a metal spatula. I did leave some of the material around the edges and a few small squares of it in places in the center to make the rear decklid and shelf carpeting fit better without drooping. I also did not skim the material under the driver and passenger floor mats as I did not want the carpet to fit loosely there. I wanted a nice flat surface as I velcroed in aluminum mats which are feather light. I skimmed everything on the floor carpet from that point to the rear. All in all I filled a full garbage bag with the insulation and that amounted to right at 15lbs. I can tell zero difference in sound attenuation so this is one of those mods that do not have a downside. Removing all the carpeting would amount to another 15+ lbs saved but obviously not practical for a dual purpose car. While I had the carpeting out I also filled in all the holes in the rear carpet that were there from the seatbelt receptacles and seat mounts. I used pieces of OEM carpeting I bought on ebay for this to get a perfect match.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MgyZys]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Mgzond]

Last edited by pwdrhound; 11-14-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:36 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Awesome, thanks guys!

Old 11-15-2016, 03:58 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Was just looking at your interior pics (love it btw!)...I'm surprised you have not done the GT3 center console delete? I'm sure it doesn't remove much weight but will give you more space. Just curious.

Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Just like Steve said above. I used a metal spatula. I did leave some of the material around the edges and a few small squares of it in places in the center to make the rear decklid and shelf carpeting fit better without drooping. I also did not skim the material under the driver and passenger floor mats as I did not want the carpet to fit loosely there. I wanted a nice flat surface as I velcroed in aluminum mats which are feather light. I skimmed everything on the floor carpet from that point to the rear. All in all I filled a full garbage bag with the insulation and that amounted to right at 15lbs. I can tell zero difference in sound attenuation so this is one of those mods that do not have a downside. Removing all the carpeting would amount to another 15+ lbs saved but obviously not practical for a dual purpose car. While I had the carpeting out I also filled in all the holes in the rear carpet that were there from the seatbelt receptacles and seat mounts. I used pieces of OEM carpeting I bought on ebay for this to get a perfect match.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MgyZys]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Mgzond]

Old 11-16-2016, 02:14 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Hi guys,

i just bought a cf hood from this dealer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232144400756?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I forced the price down a little.
Did not recieve the hood yet.
Another source is here.
http://www.federleichte-elfer.de/dp9...e-996-349.html
Well all in germany.

PS: why is it called hood btw. isnt it called bonnet? I am not a native speaker so when i hear "hood" snoop doggy dog comes to my mind.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:52 AM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
Hey! That is DP Motorsport stuff, I run already their front bumper and rear decklid gt2, fit is ok but not best or OEM level, still had to do some works to make everything fit 100%, but nevertheless the quality is there.

They have more options for the "Snoop Hood"

Carbon - 3400g
Glass Fiber - 4100g (cheaper)

I am now evaluating to get a wide kit from them consisting in
flared fenders - like 1 inch each side
wide font and rear bumpers
some side sills
might go for a 997cup wing too

Old 11-16-2016, 11:06 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Looks nice. Keep us posted as to how it turns out, fit/finish etc.

Looks great in the pics.

Originally Posted by ghostofpain
Hi guys,

i just bought a cf hood from this dealer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232144400756...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I forced the price down a little.
Did not recieve the hood yet.
Another source is here.
http://www.federleichte-elfer.de/dp9...e-996-349.html
Well all in germany.

PS: why is it called hood btw. isnt it called bonnet? I am not a native speaker so when i hear "hood" snoop doggy dog comes to my mind.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:30 PM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
"Bonnet" ist britisches Englisch. Wir Amis sagen "hood", was in England eigentlich ein Cabrioverdeck ist. Die Engländer verstauen ihre Koffer auch im "boot" - wir Amis im "trunk". Und alleine bei der Automobilterminologie könnte man ein kleines Lexicon füllen.

Und wenn ich "pissed" bin, bin ich sauer - nicht besoffen.

George Bernard Shaw: "England and America are two countries separated by a common language."

Please post the weight and fit of your "hood" when it arrives.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:41 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
So,
the "hood" got delivered today. it arrived safe and sound.

Looks good so far. Fitment...no clue jet.
Weight ...no clue jet.

Needs to be installed.
Do you guys think i should put a clear coat on?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4037.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	463716   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4038.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	463717  
Old 11-17-2016, 07:21 AM
Looking good..I'd hit it with a couple coats of clear. If you want it too look less shiny you could go with a matte clear also. I think it would help to protect it and easier to clean

So,
the "hood" got delivered today. it arrived safe and sound.

Looks good so far. Fitment...no clue jet.
Weight ...no clue jet.

Needs to be installed.
Do you guys think i should put a clear coat on?

Old 11-17-2016, 08:43 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
+1 - Without clear coat with U/V protection, the CF will turn yellow over time. I usually go with 5 coats or more...

Old 11-18-2016, 01:48 PM

I installed the hood. Fitment is excellent.
its neefs a clear coat though. I am pleased so far.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:05 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Fitment looks good. I would paint it body color. The bare carbon look is a bit ricey and screams look at me but everyone has their preference.

What's the weight of the hood?

Old 11-18-2016, 02:39 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
3400g going for the same hood and 4100g fiber glass

Old 11-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Fitment looks good. I would paint it body color. The bare carbon look is a bit ricey and screams look at me but everyone has their preference.

What's the weight of the hood?
i know what you talking about. Not sure what to do yet. I might wrap my car red or black, so car color isnt an option.
I guess the weight is around 6-7kg.
Need a scale.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:46 PM
i know what you talking about. Not sure what to do yet. I might wrap my car red or black, so car color isnt an option.
I guess the weight is around 6-7kg.
Need a scale.
Having the hood painted body color keep it more classy in my opinion. I had a satin clear finish carbon hood on my car and did not like the look. Just too many subarus and hondas with clear CF hoods..

I removed it and fit it on our race car instead where the clear CF hood looks more the part..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/N9KGFv]

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight of stock hood vs. CF hood, 22lb weight savings