996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

964RS FW/GT3 4.0 Disc/764 PP drivetrain noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 12:39 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
964RS FW/GT3 4.0 Disc/764 PP drivetrain noise

After getting the clutch pacakage installed that was the subject of this thread, I couldn't be happier with the feel of the new setup. In short, it's a Sachs 764 Pressure Plate / GT3RS4.0disc /964RS LWFW. I also had a new slave and accumulator installed since I could tell the old accumulator was on the way out.

Anyway, I know the LWFW is noisy and chatters a bit when the clutch is engaged in neutral while idling which I expected. I also notice more sound while driving under certain conditions while the clutch is engaged. Either accelerating or decelerating, the drivetrain makes more noise. It sounds like gears meshing and is dependent on the speed of the engine vs. wheels. I know the shop didn't go inside the trans case so is this just a side effect of having a single-mass flywheel? The transmission only has about 700 miles one it.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:49 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
I was just re-reading another thread on this page about clutch/FW recommendations and pwdrhound (sorry, I don't know your real name ) was very convincing in his comments about the low noise level of the Sprung RS4.0 disc combined with the single mass 964RS LWFW. Others have also said this is a quiet combo and is "hardly noticeable".
The noises I'm hearing would not bother me if I hadn't read such posts. I have to say, when I'm sitting in neutral with the clutch pedal down it is silent and when I release it it sounds like someone is running a Vitamix at full speed with a cargo of nuts and washers.
Functionally it is a world apart from my Clutchmasters FX350 and it engages nice and low as opposed to the CM which would never quite engage in the same place but it was always near the very top of the pedal's travel ability.
Anyway, I'll try and get a recording posted on Youtube but it's hard to get a mic that is able to pick up the chatter over the exhaust.
I didn't expect miracles, but this is more like what I would imagine a solid disc/single mass FW combo to sound like.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:13 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Very interested to hear as this is the exact "issue" i'm concerned about vs. keeping the dual mass.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
I also am a little confused when people say this combination makes little or no noise as mine makes a significant amount at idle with the pedal out. Since install it has also trained me to drive in higher rpm to avoid the noise, which is probably best for the engine and trans anyway. I'm used to it now and I like the way the car drives but I find it hard to believe mine is so loud just because I have trans mount inserts.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:21 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aktavate
I also am a little confused when people say this combination makes little or no noise as mine makes a significant amount at idle with the pedal out. Since install it has also trained me to drive in higher rpm to avoid the noise, which is probably best for the engine and trans anyway. I'm used to it now and I like the way the car drives but I find it hard to believe mine is so loud just because I have trans mount inserts.
The transmission mount inserts make the gearbox noise very loud. No way around it. Stick with a 997 mount..

I run this combo with a 997 trans mount, 964RS engine mounts, Cup shifter/cables, and a lwfw flash that raises idle from 740 to 860. There is virtually no extra audible noise...

Old 09-16-2016, 12:38 AM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
I'm in the same boat kind of, Here's the list of mods my car has. All I can figure out is that the car has a LWFW. With pedal pushed all of the way in it's just about dead quiet. Neutral is another story, a little to noisy for me. With that said I'm getting used to it. My understanding is that's just what it going to sound like. If I want it quiet I need to go back to stock. Only problem with that is I don't imagine the clutch could last very long. I'll sometimes hear a little noise accelerating, but it seems to hold very well. Not trying to throw you off track maybe point out I believe it's common to have noise. Not sure my list covers what type of mounts are being used. Looking at my list leaves me with a few questions. I'll save them for my own thread.

Last edited by OhioC5; 09-16-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:12 AM
mdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
The transmission mount inserts make the gearbox noise very loud. No way around it. Stick with a 997 mount..

I run this combo with a 997 trans mount, 964RS engine mounts, Cup shifter/cables, and a lwfw flash that raises idle from 740 to 860. There is virtually no extra audible noise...
I think every car is a little different, listening to my car and your car the same day with the same clutch and shifter cables, I believe yours was a little bit quieter. I also believe the clutch is pretty quiet and the shifter cables are what I can notice personally.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:31 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdurbahn
I think every car is a little different, listening to my car and your car the same day with the same clutch and shifter cables, I believe yours was a little bit quieter. I also believe the clutch is pretty quiet and the shifter cables are what I can notice personally.
My engine is a 3.8 and gearbox is built with different gears. Maybe my gear tolerances are tighter and that's why it's quieter. Who knows?

Old 09-16-2016, 06:10 PM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
Was the clutch plate installed the right way around? My understanding is that the 4.0 clutch is different and when you start to bolt it up, the fingers on the pressure plate foul, but when the pr sauté plate is pulled down right, it clear just fine.

Mine was noisey, until it was reinstalled.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by LQQK
Was the clutch plate installed the right way around? My understanding is that the 4.0 clutch is different and when you start to bolt it up, the fingers on the pressure plate foul, but when the pr sauté plate is pulled down right, it clear just fine.

Yeah, if I recall the 4.0 disc installs what appears opposite of the other discs. I vaguely remember that something along those lines. IIRC, the neck of the plate points toward the rear of the car (flywheel)

Old 09-17-2016, 10:35 AM
Integral will become famous soon enough
i have the same setup and it's noisy...feels great though.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by pwdrhound

Yea good point, I think I really just need to raise the idle and it would be very unobtrusive.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:18 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I have a triple disk Tilton, a little rattle pressed in and a little more out at idle, most of the noise is my cables honestly. I'd be surprised if this setup is louder!

Old 09-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by LQQK

Can you go a little deeper into your explanation? I'm having trouble understanding. Are you saying your disc was initially installed upside down and functioned perfectly, but made extra rattling noises when idling in neutral with the clutch engaged? This is my situation. BTW, I have the 997 trans mount.
So you had your tech pull out the disc and flip it over, reassemble everything, and then the noise went away?

I'm not having any problems with clearances as far as I know and I think that would result in an entirely different set of problems. I just don't see how the clutch could function properly if the tech were to install the disc upside down.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:30 PM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
The plate can be installed both forwards or backwards - with the springs either facing the flywheel or the gear box.

Mine was installed wrong the first time. It functioned but, hub was vibrating slightly against my flywheel - I have an ascco flywheel.

It was pulled back out and my installer flipped it around per the instructions. Interestingly, when installed this way, the springs on the clutch fouled with the flingers on the pressure plate until the pressure plate was fully bolted down. This was why my installer put it in the wrong way the first time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 964RS FW/GT3 4.0 Disc/764 PP drivetrain noise