996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dynamic Suspension Control - Standalone for 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
Dynamic Suspension Control - Standalone for 996

Any experiance out there with this product ? Sounds like the suspension solution for our cars. NO AFFILIATION, LOOKING FOR INPUT.

From the DSC Sport Site . . .

DSC stands for Dynamic Suspension Control. Using an algorithm developed out of years of professional race data, DSC adjusts the damping level of each individual shock in virtually real time. The result is an active suspension setup that provides more grip to the tire, greater stability and ride control, and increased comfort for all driving styles and road conditions.

DSC Sport allows drivers to custom tune their suspension by creating various tuning maps within the DSC Sport Tuning Software. Users may wish to create custom maps for specific tracks or roads, unique rain set ups, or to improve compatibility with other aftermarket products and vehicle setups.

http://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#996

Old 10-13-2016, 09:20 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Never heard of the manufacturer but if it works as advertised it looks like it would be fun to try out. I tried to get my car up to 175 mph on a two lane desert road once and a fleeting 160 was the best I could do. My shock dampening rates were such that I could hardly stay in my lane and the car was rocking from side to side. The road was rough and I'm sure the road base was not flat before being paved. This kit would soften the dampening rates as needed for rough roads. If I bought my car new for $136K, the $10K for this entire kit may not be bad but it doesn't make sense for a near 14 yo car.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:09 PM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nick49
Never heard of the manufacturer but if it works as advertised it looks like it would be fun to try out. I tried to get my car up to 175 mph on a two lane desert road once and a fleeting 160 was the best I could do. My shock dampening rates were such that I could hardly stay in my lane and the car was rocking from side to side. The road was rough and I'm sure the road base was not flat before being paved. This kit would soften the dampening rates as needed for rough roads. If I bought my car new for $136K, the $10K for this entire kit may not be bad but it doesn't make sense for a near 14 yo car.
The value proposition is poor, most agree all mod falls into this category. I've spent over $16K to date on my mods, not including my labor, just to see the value of my car depreciate because of the improvements.

I compare that to the significant depreciation of a brand new Pcar and feel better about it. As long as my costs (tuning and 996T depreciation) are 1/2 the depreciation of a newer 911, I'm quite satisfied. A tuned 996T really performs, not to mention the enjoyment of tuning the car.

IMO, the suspension upgrade (KW V3's) was probably the change that made the most improvement to driving the 996T. So much, that I continue to consider upgrading to even a better set of coil overs.

After driving a mag ride vette and a newer Pcar, you just have to give props to a dynamic suspension system. Firm as you need it, it can go even firmer when required because you don't have trade-off of comfort of a static system. From super firm to soft in real driving time.

Question is, can this system perform as reported and have the reliability of a KW product.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor
Harris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Sourcerock
Question is, can this system perform as reported and have the reliability of a KW product.
In regards to reliability, the Tractive shocks that we use for this system are extremely reliable. The shocks are inverted and have about the lowest point of stiction from just about anything else that we have had on the shock dyno. The DDA Valve in the shock reacts within 6 milliseconds which is incredible. By having a valve that can react so quickly, you are now able to use the damper and do not have to use as much spring. You can go softer on the spring rates and use the shocks which will allow you to have a more comfortable car as well.

We have had these shocks on our GT3 Cup in the IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge series for 2 seasons. Won multiple races and set track records. If you would like to do a bit more research on the shocks, check on here and also on Rennlist.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Harris@TPCRacing
In regards to reliability, the Tractive shocks that we use for this system are extremely reliable. The shocks are inverted and have about the lowest point of stiction from just about anything else that we have had on the shock dyno. The DDA Valve in the shock reacts within 6 milliseconds which is incredible. By having a valve that can react so quickly, you are now able to use the damper and do not have to use as much spring. You can go softer on the spring rates and use the shocks which will allow you to have a more comfortable car as well.

We have had these shocks on our GT3 Cup in the IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge series for 2 seasons. Won multiple races and set track records. If you would like to do a bit more research on the shocks, check on here and also on Rennlist.
thanks for the reply

I understand you recommend 60kg (336 lb.) in front and 110kg (616 lb.) springs. When fitted to Tractive shocks, at peak load (ie., full stiffness), it will mimic a 900/1,000 set up.

Is that a measured result or are you estimating based on driver experience and feel ?

What is ride height adjustment range ?

Old 10-22-2016, 03:23 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
One of our local track guys went with the track active set up replacing his JRZ pros. He likes the comfortable ride but it gave him zero improvement on his lap times after trying the various programs. I think he spent a little over $10k on the set up..

Old 10-22-2016, 09:04 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
One of our local track guys went with the track active set up replacing his JRZ pros. He likes the comfortable ride but it gave him zero improvement on his lap times after trying the various programs. I think he spent a little over $10k on the set up..
There is a point reached yielding diminishing returns when trying to upgrade equipment and hardware. He found that point with suspension. Sometimes you don't know where that point is unless you keep experimenting.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:28 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
This is really interesting, as far as I'm concerned. I have been considering this as well and this is the first quantifiable review I've read. I suppose it could be considered good that the system performs as well as top-of-the-line JRZs while still being able to provide a street-car-like ride when not on track. The question is simply if it's worth the not inconsiderable extra expense to have that.

Can you provide any additional details? What kind of car? Anything else about his setup? How long did he work with the system? Did he have support from TPC?

Old 10-23-2016, 02:48 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevemfr
This is really interesting, as far as I'm concerned. I have been considering this as well and this is the first quantifiable review I've read. I suppose it could be considered good that the system performs as well as top-of-the-line JRZs while still being able to provide a street-car-like ride when not on track. The question is simply if it's worth the not inconsiderable extra expense to have that.

Can you provide any additional details? What kind of car? Anything else about his setup? How long did he work with the system? Did he have support from TPC?
It's a late generation Caymen basically converted to GT4 spec. I sold him the JRZs and we set it up with 950/1050 rates if I recall. Great car, great driver with lots of testing on the same track. The Trac active has much softer rates and programming developed by Randy Pobst for the GT4. Seems to be a great suspension that provides a street comfort ride while being very capable at the track. You have to decide if the cushier street ride is worth the added complexity of the electronic shocks / controller. To me it's not but I place very low emphasis on street comfort. Personally I would spend the $12k on Motorsport triples or quads. The caymen owner did have some teething issues with his set up but most seem to be resolved.

Incidentally, on the 996 chassis, 1000-1100lb rates provide an excellent street ride when the compression is dialed back to soft on JRZ remote canister Pros. I'm on 1500 rates and it's not very street friendly but I trailer the car.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 10-23-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:08 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Thanks.

The complexity is less of an issue for me in this case. Normally I adhere to the KISS principle whenever possible, but automotive electronics are a bit of a hobby. Plus I love cutting-edge tech.

My focus is a bit more street oriented than yours. I would like to build the ultimate street/track day car. And I'd like to better the performance of the 7GT2RS in every respect.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
have on my 997.2 TTS. best mod i've done to the car

Old 10-24-2016, 04:48 PM
The upgrade, if is as revolutionary as described, performs similar or better than suspension on current models is worth consideration for me.

Due to the significant expense (add 30% to the bill to get it to Canada) I would need to drive/be in a 996T with the system installed, tuned, optimised before I purchase the system.

I have contacted the vendor to see if I could line-up a demo.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:10 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
I have the DSC 3-axis accelerometer for sale if anyone is interested.