996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Instructions on disassembling headlight internals?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:41 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Instructions on disassembling headlight internals?

There's a lot of threads out there, but nothing I can find that describes dissembling the internals of the headlights.

Problem: My passenger side headlight will no longer adjust vertically. The screw just spins without spinning the gear. Somehow the screw seems to have dislodged. When you twist the screw it's suppose to move the mechanism up and down along a guide. Mine doesn't do this.

Looking to learn how to pull these things apart. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get this track system out, or get further in to access it.

In the meantime, i put some rubber grommets (didn't have washers small enough) to manually pull the auto leveler back so that it will lower the headlight a bit.

Anyone know how to remove the circled area in the pic below? BTW, the arrow is the rail that this is suppose to move on.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:19 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
maybe the pictures help you...

bend carfully the front clip a little

remove the adjusting srews (move the bracket a little out)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4429[1].JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	475146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4428[1].JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	475147  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:46 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
that's actually exactly what I'm looking to see!

Curious, how do you remove the adjusting plastic covers before removal? Just wiggle the bracket a little bit?

1. Remove outer screw in front of the two adjusting screws.
2. Lift clip and remove unit

no other screws?

Old 04-27-2017, 06:35 AM
splitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond repute
Timely topic, I really need to do this with mine also.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:26 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
that's actually exactly what I'm looking to see!

Curious, how do you remove the adjusting plastic covers before removal? Just wiggle the bracket a little bit?

1. Remove outer screw in front of the two adjusting screws.
2. Lift clip and remove unit

no other screws?
correct / one outer screw / rest is a clip system /

Old 04-28-2017, 02:33 PM
splitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond repute
I got mine out and found out why the sucker won't turn anymore clockwise, the piece of that which holds the auto leveler is all the way against the place the bottom of the adjuster screws rest, so it is slipping because it has no where to go. I remember my rear level check was broken when under my car last, i had 'fixed' it, but now wonder if thats my issue and the auto adjuster is the problem.

I'm disconnecting the rear adjuster/measure now and will try to report back... i forgot to get a baseline unfortunately...

HR springs.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:54 PM
I just watched them adjust down and then back up, I don't remember seeing them move before.. let alone go up. I'll try to get out with them tonight to be sure I saw an improvement.

The rear driver LCA height measure is now back to broken and ziptied so its in front/hair below the lca.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:14 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
My rear leveled were removed by the shop that did the rear LCA for me. I used some pieces from John that are Porsche but apparently different enough the shop said the leveler won't fit. How important are they? Honestly the lights seem fine on my car so I didn't even notice till they called me 3 weeks later to return my old parts and spotted the levelers Should I bother doing anything with this?

Old 04-29-2017, 07:43 AM
I honestly don't see the autoleveler doing much. Mine operates fine. It's just my vertical adjustment that's broken

Old 04-29-2017, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by splitime
I got mine out and found out why the sucker won't turn anymore clockwise, the piece of that which holds the auto leveler is all the way against the place the bottom of the adjuster screws rest, so it is slipping because it has no where to go. I remember my rear level check was broken when under my car last, i had 'fixed' it, but now wonder if thats my issue and the auto adjuster is the problem.

I'm disconnecting the rear adjuster/measure now and will try to report back... i forgot to get a baseline unfortunately...

HR springs.
Were you able to remove this bracket easily? The one that holds the adjusters?

Old 04-29-2017, 04:15 PM
Need some help. I can't seem to find the clip. Part of it is I think I'm scared to break this whole thing knowing it'll mean a whole new light. But I can't figure out the clip or how to get the adjustment screw covers out. Attachment 475279Attachment 475280Attachment 475281

Old 05-03-2017, 08:15 AM
So my trick was two part, one is to bend the outside body of the light a hair to get over the two little 'clips'.

The other was to push the projector towards the front of light, while pulling on the adjuster unit AND doing a slight pry with a flat head on the little white clip that is holding the top 'ball' of the adjuster unit. Super hard to describe, but a little flat head twisting in the white clip/cup and pressure popped it free for me.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:16 AM
My lights are useable now btw. They used to be stuck (adjuster was at highest adjustment due to auto level kicking in) and visible to about 50ft out from the car. Now they are at a normal level and I can see the road. I wonder if someone 'broke' the rear adjust offer the lca on purpose to get useful headlights when lowered. I am surprised this doesn't come up more often, not enough people night driving?

Old 05-05-2017, 10:26 AM
thanks bud! will give it another go this weekend!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.