996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

upper IC hose will not stay tight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:31 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
upper IC hose will not stay tight

The drivers side IC hose to the Y pipe manifold just refuses to stay air tight. I did a brand new OEM seal. The teeth on the hose seem to be in decent shape, and the clamp goes right under them when its installed. Anyone have a hose that just would not seal? Im afraid the hose could be bad, or the plastic housing on the IC. Common issue?

Old 04-24-2017, 11:54 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Is it on the IC side? I had one that acted weird like that, I bought new clamps- used the 997.2/GT2RS part number, the clamps are a bit beefier than our OEM ones but fit fine.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:57 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Yup. Ic side.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:27 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Is it popping out under pressure, or leaking when fully seated? I bought new seals and clips and sprayed the **** out of them with AquaNet (lol) when I swapped in my 997 GT2RS intercoolers. They were popping out under pressure with original seals and clips on the new intercoolers. Hairspray is always a fantastic way to keep boost hoses in place.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:49 AM
it popped out twice now under pressure, and has a tiny leak when I do a pressure test. what on earth does aquanet do? lol Doesn't it dry as soon as you spray it?

Old 04-25-2017, 11:00 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
it popped out twice now under pressure, and has a tiny leak when I do a pressure test. what on earth does aquanet do? lol Doesn't it dry as soon as you spray it?
Hairspray dries sticky, helps it hold. If you aren't taking the bumper off the car to fit the hose back in, try that as well so you can make sure it is fully seated from all sides.

Try the redesigned clamps if you don't have them... It solved all of my problems with boost hose popping out.. The ones in the bag are the redesigned clamps...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	clamp1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	475022   Click image for larger version

Name:	clamp2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	475023   Click image for larger version

Name:	clamp3.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	475024  
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
I had a similar issue after I removed the ICs to do the plugs/coils. After every boost leak test, driver side hose would pop out from the IC or just leak. Ask Vogz how many texts I sent him swearing why couldn't Porsche just use regular clamps like everyone else

Anyways, my problem was that the tiny tab (teeth) that hold the clip in place was slightly pushed in. I just grabbed a small screwdriver and pushed it back out. Now the hose stays in place and holds boost just fine.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
Hairspray dries sticky, helps it hold. If you aren't taking the bumper off the car to fit the hose back in, try that as well so you can make sure it is fully seated from all sides.

Try the redesigned clamps if you don't have them... It solved all of my problems with boost hose popping out.. The ones in the bag are the redesigned clamps...
I will try them. I can see how they would be better. Where is the quickest place to buy? I use Pelican Parts normally, but their ship times are horrible. I wouldn't even get them until May 3rd using priority.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:58 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Is it clicking in when you install it? It should be an audible click and feel seated. You can try to push the tabs up on the connectors, it may help, otherwise bend the clips towards each other to make them more firm. See if that helps. Hair spray also works, but moreso for a ref clamp type connection.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:01 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, as SeattleTurbo said, it dries sticky and is a temporary "glue". Sometimes it's just enough to keep them seated. The new clips are also key though. The squarish profile is much better at keeping the hoses in place.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
I had a similar issue after I removed the ICs to do the plugs/coils. After every boost leak test, driver side hose would pop out from the IC or just leak. Ask Vogz how many texts I sent him swearing why couldn't Porsche just use regular clamps like everyone else
I just assumed it was user error

Old 04-25-2017, 04:21 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Porsche redesigned the tabs on the hoses a few years back. The are solid now and can not be pushed in or out. I have never had any issues with the new hoses and using the "rectangular" new style clips. Once the hoses clip in you could hang and elephant from them. Good stuff... If you have the old style hoses, toss 'em and install the new ones. They're cheap. All 4 hoses are about $250 if I recall...

Old 04-25-2017, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Porsche redesigned the tabs on the hoses a few years back. The are solid now and can not be pushed in or out. I have never had any issues with the new hoses and using the "rectangular" new style clips. Once the hoses clip in you could hang and elephant from them. Good stuff... If you have the old style hoses, toss 'em and install the new ones. They're cheap. All 4 hoses are about $250 if I recall...
so if I order a new hose it will be the updated version?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:29 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
so if I order a new hose it will be the updated version?
Yes... The old style hoses have not been available for a couple of years. Just replace all 4 and be done with it.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Yes... The old style hoses have not been available for a couple of years. Just replace all 4 and be done with it.
I cant seem to find oem anywhere. All I see are colored forged ones. Where is a good place to buy? See nothing on Google or pelican parts. These are all I can find.

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine/Forced-Induction/Accessories-c-975/Forge-Silicone-Turbo-Hoses-Porsche-996-Turbo-Black.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw5_vHBRCBtt2NqqCDjiESJABD5 rCJfNYJWxVKOcbBU6QiY4y9eF6goti1KA4L3HNh5xApzRoCOFj w_wcB

Last edited by VGLNTE1; 04-25-2017 at 04:40 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.