996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Shootout Results Unofficial

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 07:14 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
From what I was told, the way they set up the track, they didn't use the straight aways. It was loaded with turns. If your suspension is not adjustable to the limits of the track, you could be at a distinct disadvantage. Not saying this course layout was bad, but the big power cars would probably be at a disadvantage unless they had a way to adjust the power down. More power is worse in many situations. In addition, it will be interesting to see the article. I hope they explain what each car has suspension wise. I wonder now if they weighed the cars? I see so many people dropping 20K, 30K and more and then spending 5K or less on there suspension. Even if they spent half half what they did on the power mods, the car won't be balanced.

Last edited by cjv; 12-09-2003 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:37 AM
maxiter is infamous around these parts
Wow. You guys have found some "haters".

But, in the nicest, most diplomatic terms, Cort was pretty much telling these guys that the handling sucked on the cars in question.

The best of the cars looked really nice and seemed well done. The worst were treated exactly how the kids with no experience hack up their Civics - wild body parts, big fancy wheels, lousy tires, marginal brakes, poor suspension mods and gobs of power.
Just got back from 996TT Shootout - What a blast..

Old 12-09-2003, 07:54 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Here was my response on Rennlist:

Mark (Radical Racer) I don't know who Cort was referring to but that is a pretty big blanket statement you make. Cort gave me feedback and basically said we need to smooth out the boost because it is hard to drive on the track. It comes on rather suddenly like the old 930's. As far as handling he said my car was great and brakes were also great.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Ummmm... actually in front of several witnesses, Cort said my car handled very well and that the suspension was setup very nicely. He even asked me who set it up.

He told me the trickiest part of my car was modulating all the power, which he described as "explosive." His comment right after the run on the track was that my car was a lot of fun.

When asked about the disadvantage of my car, he said it was the fact that I had no downforce in the front due to a heavily damaged front lip.