996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt with FVD turbo upgrade (K24)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 06:16 AM
porsche996tt_tpe is on a distinguished road
996tt with FVD turbo upgrade (K24)

Hi all,

I accidentally got myself a pair of FVD K24. I'm not into mods. It was just done, becoz my old turbos were leaking.

My ECU and exhaust are original and now the car is fitted with these bigger turbos.

They work. The power rush is 3000 and beyond and pretty impressive already. I can live with the initial lag.

I've got an engine light. P0172, Oxy sensing adaptation, idle range, bank1. P0175.... Bank2.

The Oxy sensors are fine. What does this mean? And what is the fix? The car drives just fine.

Also, my mechanic has a PIWIS that has the X50 program for my car. Is it possible for my car's ECU to accept this program? Because the x50 does hv a bigger turbo like k24.

Or any advices? I'm not planning on making further mods on the down pipes.

Thank you!

Old 03-27-2019, 08:07 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Did you have K16 turbos before? You may need a tune.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:39 PM
nbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud of
You should really reach out to Sam @ ByDesign and make the jump to the Cobb platform. The Cobb AP is a godsend for watching your engine to ensure its running healthy and Sam's programming is second to none.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:45 PM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
We have 2 distributors in Taiwan that can assist you with an FVD Software upgrade with a hand held tuning device that can be programmed specifically for those FVD K24 turbos.

Cheng Ming
11F, No. 35, Lane 230, Kung Fu North Road
ROC, 575721 Taipei
Taiwan
+886 958 399397

German Motorsport Shop
No.3-1, Alley 16, Section 3, Nankang Road
11563 Taipei
Taiwan

Click here for more information on our software....

Thanks,
Rhonda

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 03-27-2019, 03:20 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
My advice would be to be careful, you may run lean on stock tuning with the increased air flow. I would avoid wide open throttle until you get a tune. I would go aftermarket personally. Consider getting an exhaust to open things up. I assume tune may need to be conservative with stock injectors, maybe you switch to 5 bar fuel pressure regulator. Depends on your goals, tuner recommendation, and wallet $

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by JSBear; 03-27-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:17 AM
porsche996tt_tpe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JSBear
My advice would be to be careful, you may run lean on stock tuning with the increased air flow. I would avoid wide open throttle until you get a tune. I would go aftermarket personally. Consider getting an exhaust to open things up. I assume tune may need to be conservative with stock injectors, maybe you switch to 5 bar fuel pressure regulator. Depends on your goals, tuner recommendation, and wallet $

Good luck and enjoy.
Hi Thanks for the input! What's the risk with increased air, a thinner mixture at open throttle? As it is, w/o the tune, and aside from the initial lag, the perceived power increase is like 50ish and stays really strong to redline. If it's not the annoying CEL, I'd just keep it like this and not mess with a tune and additional hardware investments. I'm really not into tuning or modding the car. The FVD K24 was a mistake in purchase. I thought I wanted to just stay at what I have and get rid of the CEL.

That's why I asked if the X50 code would just make it so, because X50 was designed with K24 and this program update would just be made free to me. I lack the knowledge however.

Thanks again!

Last edited by porsche996tt_tpe; 04-01-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:50 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
You serious? You could blow up your engine!
Originally Posted by porsche996tt_tpe
Hi Thanks for the input! What's the risk with increased air, a thinner mixture at open throttle? As it is, w/o the tune, and aside from the initial lag, the perceived power increase is like 50ish and stays really strong to redline. If it's not the annoying CEL, I'd just keep it like this and not mess with a tune and additional hardware investments. I'm really not into tuning or modding the car. The FVD K24 was a mistake in purchase. I thought I wanted to just stay at what I have and get rid of the CEL.

That's why I asked if the X50 code would just make it so, because X50 was designed with K24 and this program update would just be made free to me. I lack the knowledge however.

Thanks again!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:44 AM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, be very careful, more air = more fuel = safe. Your stock setup can only provide so much fuel, and you are likely running lean under wide open throttle. Based on your comments, 1- either do conservative aftermarket tune with stock fueling setup, or 2 - consider adding a 5 bar fuel pressure regulator with stock fueling, injectors etc. and aftermarket tune, that will provide more fuel, and allow for slightly more aggressive tune than 1 (assuming your tuner is comfortable with this setup). Otherwise, if you want something more aggressive than that, you will need to replace injectors, probably intercoolers, sound like you do not want to go down that road.

So I would recommend 1 or 2 above. Maybe find a reputable tuner in your area. Please do NOT blow up your engine. You can't just bolt on bigger turbos, without any supporting modifications. Keep in mind you current factory tune, is designed with the air flow characteristics of a stock K16 turbo. The Motronic system is able to adjust fueling up until a certain point, but the fear here is you are too far out of spec, as K24's move more air than K16's.

Be careful, Good luck.

Last edited by JSBear; 04-01-2019 at 03:22 PM.