996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Some Creatures (may be rodents) Chewed Off My Wires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 10:34 PM
BV996turbo01 is on a distinguished road
Some Creatures (may be rodents) Chewed Off My Wires

Help Please.
I was preparing to pin the coolant fitting on my 2001 996 TT and found out that a branch of the hardness got chewed off by some creatures.
The wiring hardness that connect to the coolant temperature sensor on the driver side to the left of the curve coolant pipe have another branch that go some where under the oil filter housing that was totally disconnected (see attachments).
I don't know where the disconnected two wires lines is supposed to connect to (the color of the wires are blue/green and white/black, see attachments).
Prior to realized this problem, the car threw the CEL/ABS/...typical of MAF failure which after installing new MAF and did the resetting it seems to drive fine without any noticeable problem or code.
My questions are as followed:
1. Where is this branch of two wires suppose to connect to and what function does it serve?
2. Do I need to drop the engine to reconnect (Which is beyond my capabilities)?
3. Can I drive the car without reconnecting these wires if it is required an engine drop to reconnect?
Thank you in advance.
BV

Old 11-20-2022, 08:28 PM
Just want to give an update on the progress of fixing my problem,
Replace wires and reconnected/re-plug connector to connection of knock sensor on bank 1 and 3. With a lot of persistences and patiences I was able to reconnect the electrical plug.
First I fabricated a hook to help guiding the male plug to the female connector, once it is inserted you can work your arm from the the left hand side of the intake and should be able to sit tightly inside the plug.
Completed pinning the six cooling connections on the left hand side, replace expansion tank, check/zip tied all vacuum hoses and refill with new coolant.
Start the engine... no CEL and no leak. Car running smooth. However there is a little hesitation/delay when gas it from idle to 1700 rpm (in other words it is not snappy).
I'm thinking of remove the throttle body and completely clean. I hope this help. If anybody has any suggestion to check next I really appreciate it.
At the same time I'm continue chasing my fueling problem (won't take gas at all see my other post of

Help Please!! My 2001 996TT refuse to take fuel!!

I will keep posting on what my finding on the hesitation problem.
Thank you everyone for helping me with my problems.

Fabricated hook.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:43 PM
I wonder what happened to all of the replies that I got from different members on this thread prior to my last post today?

Old 11-21-2022, 12:16 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Perhaps they were visitor or private messages as I do not see any removed posts from this thread.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:44 PM
Hum that is odd because every questions that I posted, I got many replies on this post and now the my questions and my replies on this post are also all gone now except the beginning and the latest post.
Because thanks to these members (I remembered at least 10 of them and some have several thousand of posts) they have guided me on how to fix my car's problems. The information that were given were invaluable and spot on of identified the color of the wires where do they belong, the exact name and location of the components that required repair and components that need to be opened to reach it along with obstacles that I may encounter.
Anyway, I was trying to document all info pertaining to how to fix my car' problems and hope that it will help some other member if they encounter the same or similar issue.
Again thank you all members for all your help because without you I would not dare to have gone this far in exploring and trying to understand how my car work and fix problems as it arises. It sure give oneself a satisfaction sense of achievement.

Old 12-26-2022, 03:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
FYI - One winter I had mice chew the main harness where it goes through the firewall in my former 996TT creating running issues. I reported it to my insurance and they paid for the entire repair! It was not an inexpensive dealership service. Something to keep in mind, I think most insurances cover it.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 12-28-2022, 05:21 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i am on "rat patrol" all winter long. with frequent visual inspections, peppermint laced sachets placed ( is that a word? whatever those pre filled pouches are called? ) and dryer sheets and lastly two of the blinking light anti mouse/rodent devices.

i find they do like the frunk - next next to the battery tray space. less so the engine compartment thankfully. rodents ( nests ) scare me and "Willard's" pet rats lives - do not matter.

Old 12-30-2022, 01:03 PM
Thank you for your suggestion. Had I known how extensive these creatures done to my car, I would have claimed with the insurance and have Porsche dealer fixed all of the problems. In August this year, I decided to do a major maintenance on my car along with replacing expansion tank and pin the coolant pipes. When doing the pinning of the coolant pipes that was when I found out the disconnected wiring as seen above. Upon further CCTV the back of the engine I can see some remaining mice drops. However I was able to reconnect the wiring and completed all the maintenances I set out to do.
Now I realize that this can directly tie to the problem I've been having since 2013 of not be able to fill gas without stopping every few seconds.
See my thread on Help Please!! My 2001 996TT refuse to take fuel!! that I've just resurrected late this year, found out the problem and is attempting to fix it now.
At this point the only problem is with the fuel tank vent valve electrical and I've decided to do it myself instead of have either independent or dealer fix it at an estimated cost of close to 3K minus $500 deductible for dropping the front suspension and the fuel tank to gain access to the Fuel tank Vent Valve location.
Happy New Year!!!
BV