996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I raced a GSXR1100 this morning...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
I raced a GSXR1100 this morning...

roughly three mile stretch of twisties, no one on the road but him and myself. Two lanes in each direction, I was in front and he was tailing me so I decided to hit it and see if he wanted to play. Sure enough we went at it, got up to 125 in a couple of spots. I led the whole way, he would gain a little, lose a little but overall I had him. We finally come up to a light and I roll my window down as he is pulling up. He flips up his visor and the guy is at least 60 years old!!!!! I was shocked to say the least. He was impressed with how fast my car was and said I was throwing pebbles and crap all over him. He was very cool and was a very good rider, he was leaning that bike waaaaay over in the turns. Anyway, it was a very fun run, I need to get some track time and really learn how to drive this car. I have to get my skills up to be able to use this car to 8 or 9 tenths of its potential. I was shaking from the adrenaline running through me and I had a client coming in a few minutes after I got in.
Again, we were the only ones on the road and no one was in danger except him and myself.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:38 PM
TTM0TION is on a distinguished road
Sounds awesome that rush of being excited and scared all at the same time is amazing isn't it. I'm impressed the guy was so old, show's that not everyone has to grow up if they don't want to.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I had the same experience.. and I can say that I was along side of the R1

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-29-2006, 04:24 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Nice one Griza...don't ya just love that shaking feeling, what a rush...makes you feel alive, it's like the best drug you could ever take....

What's so cool is that you both got a chance to chat for a moment afterwards and to appreciate the moment, it's not about who won or lost is it!..you were both on the same page!

I relish those times.....

BBB

Old 03-29-2006, 04:56 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Griza, you need to get to a track event!!!! You will have that feeling all day!! Although called drivers education plently "racing" with your buddies.
Also after your run group lots of time to chat and bond. If a non PCA event usually several Z06's, Vipers, Lambos, etc. and plenty of opportunity to "see how well you do"
Also, initially you will drive with an instructor and hone your skills which then can of course be applied any where.

Oh yeah, and you wont get the same kind of "rush" that tthoang! had!!!

tom

Old 03-29-2006, 04:59 PM
girthboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tom kerr
Griza, you need to get to a track event!!!! You will have that feeling all day!! Although called drivers education plently "racing" with your buddies.
Also after your run group lots of time to chat and bond. If a non PCA event usually several Z06's, Vipers, Lambos, etc. and plenty of opportunity to "see how well you do"
Also, initially you will drive with an instructor and hone your skills which then can of course be applied any where.

Oh yeah, and you wont get the same kind of "rush" that tthoang! had!!!

tom
where's a good place for this around L.A. California?

Old 03-29-2006, 09:24 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
wozzers 60 is really old ! youth is great but when your 24 you have no idea what the hell is going on nor do relize everything is tempory ,if your real luckyand see 60 you will enjoy speed as much then as you do now and yes if your real lucky you will tast the ad rush each time you get car squirting at 150.....

Old 03-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
I've try my stage 2 with a R6. I can say I have him all the way from 100km/h to 230km/h

Old 03-30-2006, 04:43 AM
Moogle is on a distinguished road
yes, its awesome to be on a nice road and have some cool people that want to play.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:13 AM
KG1
KG1 is on a distinguished road
cars and bikes

Well, I have to say that I have one of each. Grisa, it was probably a gsxr1000—as that is all they have built for the last eight years. If it were an 1100, cudos to the rider. To me, riding the bike seems like a more sporting thing to do. In the turns especially, and I guess that I would have to say that for the entire outing-- I am more involved. The tt can probably hold more corner speed by virtue of its ability to drift and not low-side (talking about tighter turns 50 to 70 mph). The bike has a lot more thrust at all speeds—enough to make the Porsche feel sluggish above 60. On a tighter overall circuit, I would give the edge to the car. As the turns get wider and straights longer it becomes less and less of a contest. But, I do want to say that with regard to the motorcycle’s performance in the turns, it is all due to rider ability. When I am on the bike “playing†with other bikes in the canyons, I still use only a fraction of the bike’s power—probably two-thirds to three-fourths of its rev range —otherwise I am breaking the rear tire loose and defeating myself. Also coming out of a turn, I have to get back on the gas “carefully†for the same reason (which could otherwise result in the infamous high-side). So what I am saying is that I am under-riding the bike’s capabilities quite a bit. This would hold true for all good riders—and presents a leveling of the playing field-- between different bikes. What makes a motorcycle fast in the canyons is the bike’s ability to be composed, combined with rider skill-- along with his willingness to risk injury and ride more on the edge. Which bike it is whether it is a gsxr 1000 or R1 or some 600 will matter much less.

That being said, the tt is a wonderful precise vehicle, it can turn a tight canyon road into an amazing amusement park ride, I can take it on a trip; and I can accept that it’s not a gsxr.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Maybe it was the 1000, as he was pulling up I saw GSXR1....something or other. It was definetely a new bike, it was in excellent condition. He was a very good rider and my experience is what you said. The bikes do have a harder time around the sharper coners. I have played with bikes on this road before and I have always come up ahead. Get some long sweepers and long straights and I am sure the outcome would be different. It was a fun run, not really a race but there was no way he was passing me. BTW, my 996TT is a Ruf Rturbo with 550hp, It is a bit faster and handles a bit better than a stock 996TT. Overall it might not be as fast as a GSXR1000 it will sure put up a better fight

Last edited by Griza; 03-30-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
I raced a bike as well on the Autobahn in a RUF R Turbo 590.

Raced up to over 300 km/h, he never overtook me. Could be because I never moved out of the left lane, but also because I was faster

He wasn't exactly "glued like a stamp" in my rear end.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:33 PM
CamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really nice
You never know how gray the hair is under the old helmet do ya?? Beware of the old guys!!!! Good story.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by CamNeelyphile
You never know how gray the hair is under the old helmet do ya?? Beware of the old guys!!!! Good story.

HAHAHA.........this is true. Certainly was not expected to see such an older gentleman riding like that..........

Old 04-03-2006, 10:36 PM
JR.
Banned
JR. will become famous soon enough
Griza,

i know what you are saying.. fun.. fun .. fun.. but the other way around for me.. i can't tell you how many "fast" cars i have "embarrassed" with my gsxr 1000 or hayabusa.. i wish that i could see the look on their faces as i blow by them, especially in traffic... one of my favorites is the drive back to chicago from indy after the F1 races... everyone is all jacked up and excited. and there are some fast cars.. but unless they have major hp, (800 or more) it ain't even close.. california and europe are even MORE fun for bikes as we can lane split.. and the more traffic there is, the farther ahead the bike gets.. now don't get me wrong, my turbo is fun, but not as much as my bikes, especially at the track..