996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Do coil packs go bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Boludo is on a distinguished road
Do coil packs go bad?

I'm the one with the previous post about the sputter at 4,500-6,000 rpms on my '02 x50 with 22k miles. All the replies to my post were that it was most likely the spark plugs. Well the dealer said that I had 2 coil packs that were bad and he recommended replacing all 6 coil packs and putting new plugs in. Sounds like they may just be trying to milk me now that I'm 3 months out of warranty. What do you think about this? Anybody else have a similar case where they did or were told that the coil packs were bad. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Yes coil packs do go bad- We see more and more of this as 996TT's see age and use.
Coil packs arent very expensive and a good idea to replace in sets of 6..

Just do the plugs and coil packs.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the reply. I guess the dealer may not be blowing smoke after all. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Boludo, just don't let the dealer charge you extra labor for swaping them out. There is no extra work from swapping the plugs out. So have them swap out your plugs and boots if you haven't order that already.

-Eli

Old 09-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I changed mine out - they do go bad... but mine lasted 80K miles...
u can inspect the bad ones... when u pop off the long part.. inspect for cracks on the black plastic part on the coil pack.. thats how u know if they are bad.
at 22K miles these things should not go bad. Im skeptical.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 09-18-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:11 PM
hmmm... thanks again for the responses. I will ask to see the coil packs. Now you mention about swapping out the boots too. May be dumb for asking but what are the "boots"?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
ask them to show u the "cracked" coil packs... if they are not then nothing is wrong and they are just guessing and charging you an extra $600 .

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Boludo
hmmm... thanks again for the responses. I will ask to see the coil packs. Now you mention about swapping out the boots too. May be dumb for asking but what are the "boots"?

Thanks.
Boots are basically the rubber boot that goes around the most outer part (plug & pack) area. Just a couple of buck per each last time I checked.

=Eli

Old 09-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks for everyones help on this, it really helps out. The Dealer is going to save the coils for me to look at. They agreed to reduce the price by 50% so now it is much more reasonable for me now.