996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Popularity of Europipe Exhausts....???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:32 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
[/quote]
Originally Posted by cjv
Craig,

Just for the record, one of the most powerful 996tt/GT3 turbo's will sport a Europipe exhaust. Now go figure.
LOL!!! That has to be one of the funniest comments I have ever read on this forum. “Now go figure” what? What should one glean from your statement regarding the personal decision of this undisclosed owner of “the most powerful 996TT”??? If the fastest man on earth chose to run in hiking boots, would that make hiking boots the best shoe for running? If the owner of the world’s fastest top fuel dragster choose to “sport” an exhaust that utilizes one inch piping and a chamber muffler, would that make such an exhaust the most powerful??? Of course not!!! Likewise, the mere fact that “one of the most powerful 996TTs” will “sport a Europipe exhaust” says absolutely NOTHING about the exhaust itself. Rather, the personal decision of the undisclosed owner of the “most powerful 996TT” to use a Europipe reflects nothing more than the personal preferences of that particular owner. The fact remains that the undisclosed owner of “the most powerful 996TT” will likely be comprising power and performance by using a Europipe exhaust with a chamber muffler. Had the owner of the “most powerful 996TT” elected to use an exhaust with straight through mufflers and no cats, similar to that found on Markski’s and my car, his “most powerful 996TT” might produce even more power and performance. The owner of “the most powerful 996TT” appears to have made a decision to “sport a Europipe exhaust" for reasons other than maximum power (e.g., sound quality, compliance with emissions requirements, etc.). While such a decision is certainly understandable, it does not demonstrate that the Europipe exhaust produces more power. On the other hand, if the undisclosed owner of "the most powerful 996TT" has empircal data demonstrating that his Europipe exhaust with cats and a chamber muffler produces more power than an exhaust with a straight through muffler and no cats, I for one would be very interested in seeing the data. What little I understand about principals of exhaust theory would suggest otherwise (as would the empirical data compiled by IA during its exhaust testing).

In summary, your comment regarding the personal decision of the undisclosed “owner of the most powerful 996TT” is a non-sequitur with respect to what exhaust produces the most power and performance.

The following are a few comments/articles written by people far more knowledgeable than I:

http://www.lcengineering.com/TechNotes/TechNote68.htm

"Straight Through Versus Reverse Flow Mufflers [aka Chamber Mufflers]

Having a optimally free flowing exhaust all the way from the manifold would not do much good if the restrictive stock muffler is still used. The inlet and outlet diameters of the pipe in the muffler should also be as large as feasible, so as to allow free flow of exhaust gases. A straight through muffler would be preferred to a reverse flow muffler mainly because the process of air re-direction in the reverse flow muffler is too restrictive. A straight through muffler design would allow exhaust gases to be expedited out as efficiently as possible, although the muffling abilities would not be as efficient as that of the reverse flow design. Therefore it will be inevitable that the exhaust will sound louder than before, but as mentioned before a couple of times, an aftermarket straight through muffler uses noise suppressing material that tones down the sound to that of one that's deep and throaty and not irritating. However, as will be discussed in the next section, a new generation of mufflers may be able to tackle this."

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...scc_ssbbpart2/

"To produce the most power, an exhaust should have the least amount of restriction to the exhaust flow. Restriction hampers the burned exhaust gases from exiting your engine, causing some charge dilution with the incoming fresh fuel/air mixture. (In other words, exhaust left in the cylinder is mixed with the fresh intake charge.) This causes a loss of power. With greater restriction, back pressure is generated, making the engine work harder to pump the exhaust out of the cylinders. This is one source of pumping losses.

Some stock mufflers have up to 18 psi of power-robbing backpressure. A well-designed performance exhaust typically has about 2 to 6 psi of backpressure. For comparison sake, an unmuffled straight pipe usually has 1 to 3 psi of backpressure.

To get the least amount of backpressure, most of the good, high-performance mufflers available today have what is called a straight-through design. These type of mufflers quiet the exhaust by the absorption of high frequency vibrations in a heat-resistant packing usually consisting of stainless steel mesh and heat-resistant ceramic fibers. They typically have a straight inner core with no baffling at all, much like a straight pipe with many small holes. The pipe is louvered or perforated when it passes inside the muffler's shell, allowing sound energy to pass through the holes but leaving the exhaust gas flow unimpeded. You can see straight through these types of mufflers. The louvered or perforated core is usually wrapped with either Fiberglas wadding, hence the old-school term Glass-Pack or on the better mufflers, stainless steel mesh to help further absorb the sound. On straight-through mufflers, the longer the muffler, the quieter it is. The length usually has no effect on the backpressure, just the noise output. These mufflers work in the same manner as the silencers used on guns. If a silencer impeded bullet travel, you would definitely have problems!"

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/catb...ent-guide.aspx

"Stock mufflers use closed designs with several internal baffles to deaden the sound. While this approach works well from an acoustic standpoint, it causes considerable backpressure and tends to degrade performance. Most aftermarket mufflers for sport compact vehicles use a straight-through design without internal baffles or chambers. Instead, they channel the exhaust flow through a perforated pipe surrounded by a sound-absorbing material, such as fiberglass."

http://www.tercelreference.com/terce...st_theory.html

Quoting an engineer at Garret Turbo: “use a straight-thru perforated core muffler”

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3222

“Fortunately straight through mufflers flow very well.”

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techfa...ast_and_quiet/

“It is easy and perhaps inexpensive to greatly reduce the noise by slowing the flow through chambered mufflers, as found in many stock automobiles. These are very quiet and very restrictive. . . . If your track rules specify the use of a muffler, but no decibel limit is listed, then get one of the short, straight-through types that offer virtually no restriction.”)

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_...opularArticle;

http://burnsstainless.com/UltraliteM...temuffler.html (my muffler).

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7...ory.html?20052

Craig

Old 03-15-2007, 07:23 AM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Thank you Craig, for spending the time and effort on the
reseached and supported information. Guys like you are why this
forum is so valuable. Thank You Again!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
Zippy,

Where did the Bazooka idea come from?
Before I got my EUROPIPE, Stef told me it sounded like a "Sherman Tank on 100 Octane". I thought Bazooka would be a fitting name for her.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Craig - here is the data on my exhaust as supplied by Stef @ Europipe. I would naturally assume any straight through design would be better as there is no muffler or CAT component. (This seems pretty simple ).

Out of interest, how do your numbers compare?

Here are some airflow results measured on a Superflow SF-600 @ 20" H2O:

Stock exhaust: 221 cfm cubic feet minute
Stage 2: 373 cfm
Open pipe - no cat - stock tailpipe: 422 cfm
New Europipe muffler: 588 cfm

Backpressure of a stock 996 TT exhaust on a stock 996 TT at 6500 rpm is 0.36 bar
Backpressure of a Stage 2 EP exhaust on a stock 996 TT at 6500 rpm is 0.15 bar
Backpressure of the new EP exhaust on a stock 996 TT at 6500 rpm is 0.080 bar

Old 03-15-2007, 02:17 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
LOL!!! That has to be one of the funniest comments I have ever read on this forum. “Now go figure” what? What should one glean from your statement regarding the personal decision of this undisclosed owner of “the most powerful 996TT”??? If the fastest man on earth chose to run in hiking boots, would that make hiking boots the best shoe for running? If the owner of the world’s fastest top fuel dragster choose to “sport” an exhaust that utilizes one inch piping and a chamber muffler, would that make such an exhaust the most powerful??? Of course not!!! Likewise, the mere fact that “one of the most powerful 996TTs” will “sport a Europipe exhaust” says absolutely NOTHING about the exhaust itself. Rather, the personal decision of the undisclosed owner of the “most powerful 996TT” to use a Europipe reflects nothing more than the personal preferences of that particular owner. The fact remains that the undisclosed owner of “the most powerful 996TT” will likely be comprising power and performance by using a Europipe exhaust with a chamber muffler. Had the owner of the “most powerful 996TT” elected to use an exhaust with straight through mufflers and no cats, similar to that found on Markski’s and my car, his “most powerful 996TT” might produce even more power and performance. The owner of “the most powerful 996TT” appears to have made a decision to “sport a Europipe exhaust" for reasons other than maximum power (e.g., sound quality, compliance with emissions requirements, etc.). While such a decision is certainly understandable, it does not demonstrate that the Europipe exhaust produces more power. On the other hand, if the undisclosed owner of "the most powerful 996TT" has empircal data demonstrating that his Europipe exhaust with cats and a chamber muffler produces more power than an exhaust with a straight through muffler and no cats, I for one would be very interested in seeing the data. What little I understand about principals of exhaust theory would suggest otherwise (as would the empirical data compiled by IA during its exhaust testing).

In summary, your comment regarding the personal decision of the undisclosed “owner of the most powerful 996TT” is a non-sequitur with respect to what exhaust produces the most power and performance.

The following are a few comments/articles written by people far more knowledgeable than I:

http://www.lcengineering.com/TechNotes/TechNote68.htm

"Straight Through Versus Reverse Flow Mufflers [aka Chamber Mufflers]

Having a optimally free flowing exhaust all the way from the manifold would not do much good if the restrictive stock muffler is still used. The inlet and outlet diameters of the pipe in the muffler should also be as large as feasible, so as to allow free flow of exhaust gases. A straight through muffler would be preferred to a reverse flow muffler mainly because the process of air re-direction in the reverse flow muffler is too restrictive. A straight through muffler design would allow exhaust gases to be expedited out as efficiently as possible, although the muffling abilities would not be as efficient as that of the reverse flow design. Therefore it will be inevitable that the exhaust will sound louder than before, but as mentioned before a couple of times, an aftermarket straight through muffler uses noise suppressing material that tones down the sound to that of one that's deep and throaty and not irritating. However, as will be discussed in the next section, a new generation of mufflers may be able to tackle this."

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...scc_ssbbpart2/

"To produce the most power, an exhaust should have the least amount of restriction to the exhaust flow. Restriction hampers the burned exhaust gases from exiting your engine, causing some charge dilution with the incoming fresh fuel/air mixture. (In other words, exhaust left in the cylinder is mixed with the fresh intake charge.) This causes a loss of power. With greater restriction, back pressure is generated, making the engine work harder to pump the exhaust out of the cylinders. This is one source of pumping losses.

Some stock mufflers have up to 18 psi of power-robbing backpressure. A well-designed performance exhaust typically has about 2 to 6 psi of backpressure. For comparison sake, an unmuffled straight pipe usually has 1 to 3 psi of backpressure.

To get the least amount of backpressure, most of the good, high-performance mufflers available today have what is called a straight-through design. These type of mufflers quiet the exhaust by the absorption of high frequency vibrations in a heat-resistant packing usually consisting of stainless steel mesh and heat-resistant ceramic fibers. They typically have a straight inner core with no baffling at all, much like a straight pipe with many small holes. The pipe is louvered or perforated when it passes inside the muffler's shell, allowing sound energy to pass through the holes but leaving the exhaust gas flow unimpeded. You can see straight through these types of mufflers. The louvered or perforated core is usually wrapped with either Fiberglas wadding, hence the old-school term Glass-Pack or on the better mufflers, stainless steel mesh to help further absorb the sound. On straight-through mufflers, the longer the muffler, the quieter it is. The length usually has no effect on the backpressure, just the noise output. These mufflers work in the same manner as the silencers used on guns. If a silencer impeded bullet travel, you would definitely have problems!"

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/catb...ent-guide.aspx

"Stock mufflers use closed designs with several internal baffles to deaden the sound. While this approach works well from an acoustic standpoint, it causes considerable backpressure and tends to degrade performance. Most aftermarket mufflers for sport compact vehicles use a straight-through design without internal baffles or chambers. Instead, they channel the exhaust flow through a perforated pipe surrounded by a sound-absorbing material, such as fiberglass."

http://www.tercelreference.com/terce...st_theory.html

Quoting an engineer at Garret Turbo: “use a straight-thru perforated core muffler”

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3222

“Fortunately straight through mufflers flow very well.”

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techfa...ast_and_quiet/

“It is easy and perhaps inexpensive to greatly reduce the noise by slowing the flow through chambered mufflers, as found in many stock automobiles. These are very quiet and very restrictive. . . . If your track rules specify the use of a muffler, but no decibel limit is listed, then get one of the short, straight-through types that offer virtually no restriction.”)

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_...opularArticle;

http://burnsstainless.com/UltraliteM...temuffler.html (my muffler).

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7...ory.html?20052

Craig[/quote]

Craig,

The bottomline is the free flowing exhaust hurts my ears and based off the hp KA will be producing I do not believe (my opinion) any 996tt is going to catch her anyway.

A few ponies loss due to an exhaust really isn't going to make any difference. Besides, I guarantee you people young and old will not pulling up along side a free flowing exhaust handing out compliments regarding the sweet sound.

Last edited by cjv; 03-15-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Craig,

The bottomline is the free flowing exhaust hurts my ears and based off the hp KA will be producing I do not believe (my opinion) any 996tt is going to catch her anyway.

A few ponies loss due to an exhaust really isn't going to make any difference. Besides, I guarantee you people young and old will not pulling up along side a free flowing exhaust handing out compliments regarding the sweet sound.
I agree with you 100%. My free-flowing exhaust hurts my ears. Moreover, I get very few compliments regarding the sound of my car (I personally think it sounds terrible). On the other hand, I did not build my car with the goal of receiving compliments on the melodic sound. Additionally, you are correct that, even with a Europipe exhaust and the compromised airflow arising therefrom, very few 996TTs will be able to catch you (me included). I hope you are right that the compromised airflow will only cost you "a few ponies." I have no idea what the actual delta in performance is. However, given the great lengths that you have gone to in order to squeeze every drop of power out of your car, including multi-thousand dollar modifications that will admittedly yield very little increase in power, it’s a shame to leave *any* additional power on the table. Nevertheless, I understand your emphasis on sound quality, and I am confident that your car, when finished, will sound fantastic and will receive many compliments on the way it sounds (in addition to running away from everything else on the road, including cars like mine equipped with better flowing exhausts).

Regards,

Craig

Old 03-15-2007, 07:04 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Craig
I agree with you 100%. My free-flowing exhaust hurts my ears. Moreover, I get very few compliments regarding the sound of my car (I personally think it sounds terrible). On the other hand, I did not build my car with the goal of receiving compliments on the melodic sound. Additionally, you are correct that, even with a Europipe exhaust and the compromised airflow arising therefrom, very few 996TTs will be able to catch you (me included). I hope you are right that the compromised airflow will only cost you "a few ponies." I have no idea what the actual delta in performance is. However, given the great lengths that you have gone to in order to squeeze every drop of power out of your car, including multi-thousand dollar modifications that will admittedly yield very little increase in power, it’s a shame to leave *any* additional power on the table. Nevertheless, I understand your emphasis on sound quality, and I am confident that your car, when finished, will sound fantastic and will receive many compliments on the way it sounds (in addition to running away from everything else on the road, including cars like mine equipped with better flowing exhausts).

Regards,

Craig
Craig,

KA will be getting her share of unwanted attention from the law. Why add exceeding the noise limit to the list? Why don't you ask sharkster about this one? Get tagged once to go to the "special" California Inspection Station and you will have a $3,000.00 fine, possible impound and you will be spending alot of money retrofiting. In addition, I just get under the noise threshold at LS. What good is a car that I can't even use at the track (at least for me)?

You may reside in a state that doesn't bother you for noise and that is great. However, between the 900 to 1400 hp that can be on tap, depending on which turbo we install, why would a few extra ponies make any difference? In addition, between the clutch, LSD's, gearing and tires we have more than made up for the little sacrificed with a street legal exhaust.

Last edited by cjv; 03-15-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:21 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
heh.. with such a quiet exhaust aren't you more worried that the state will hear the lope on those cams? Just kidding...

Plain and simple, if money is no object, you want absolutely NO resonance and the best made one available (ok so not the freest flowing on higher HP kits) then the EPS2 is the way to go. Especially for Tips.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:17 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Craig,

what were you saying about "streetable"? (In another thread)
I do not consider exhaust that hurts my ears very "street friendly".
I cannot understand the lawyer speak and find it downright "disparaging"
Ha.

Marty

Old 03-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Zippy
Craig - here is the data on my exhaust as supplied by Stef @ Europipe. I would naturally assume any straight through design would be better as there is no muffler or CAT component. (This seems pretty simple ).

Out of interest, how do your numbers compare?

Here are some airflow results measured on a Superflow SF-600 @ 20" H2O:

Stock exhaust: 221 cfm cubic feet minute
Stage 2: 373 cfm
Open pipe - no cat - stock tailpipe: 422 cfm
New Europipe muffler: 588 cfm

Backpressure of a stock 996 TT exhaust on a stock 996 TT at 6500 rpm is 0.36 bar
Backpressure of a Stage 2 EP exhaust on a stock 996 TT at 6500 rpm is 0.15 bar
Backpressure of the new EP exhaust on a stock 996 TT at 6500 rpm is 0.080 bar
Craig, do you have any data on your exhaust that can be compaired to my Europipe. I am under the impression that Europipe will be producing a production unit similiar to mine. It would be interesting to see how they stack up 1) very free flowing exhaust vs 2) your "pass through" system.

Mike

Old 03-19-2007, 10:09 AM
DeeMan007 is on a distinguished road
EP experts/owners...when my EPII Loud was installed, the tips were hanging about 2 inches lower than the bumper exhaust tips grooves. The installer tried to angle the exhaust and strap it up as high as possible without damaging the exhaust, but the tips still don't fill in the bumper properly. Any suggestions on how to get the tips to fit properly without damaging the exhaust? Is bending the pipes necessary? Gotta make it look tight, ya know?

Old 03-19-2007, 10:56 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DeeMan007
EP experts/owners...when my EPII Loud was installed, the tips were hanging about 2 inches lower than the bumper exhaust tips grooves. The installer tried to angle the exhaust and strap it up as high as possible without damaging the exhaust, but the tips still don't fill in the bumper properly. Any suggestions on how to get the tips to fit properly without damaging the exhaust? Is bending the pipes necessary? Gotta make it look tight, ya know?
Sorry, but it sounds like it was installed wrong. Mine fits right in like it was made for it.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:46 AM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
Has someone run in Laguna Seca with an EP2 quiet ? Does it pass the 92db soundtrap ?

Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
ze shark I have customers that have and did and passed... That's only the EP2 Quiet and Stage 1 though.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 PM
K24madness is on a distinguished road
Cjv & Craig,

The best combination is to use a long straight through dual inlet outlet single muffler. The long design keeps noise down without really affecting flow. The dual inlet/outlets allow exhaust gives the tone a wonderful sound by balancing out the cylinders from bank to bank. On some systems the reason it sound like **** has more to do with the fact neather bank sees each other. When that happens you have the sound of a 3 cylinder motor. The fabspeed design mufflers and others that don't connect would greatly benifit from connecting a balance tube between them. This also helps balance the pulses during the bottom end and increases flow and reduces turbo lag. The top end is very very slightly affected by the balance tube.

If you run straight pipes install a long pipe to connect the two. You will be amazed at how much nicer it sounds.

Look at mufflers by borla. You can achieve 1-3 psi back pressure on a modified 996 by using one of the 3" in/out dual designs.

I wish I had the financial resources to be in the race both of you guys are. It is impressive to see your passions played out on the forums.

Chad I get to see your beast in person every week. I look forward to observing the assembly process. I have had a first hand observation of each and every hurdle you guys have gone through.

PS I still want your turbos!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Popularity of Europipe Exhausts....???