996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Where are the fiber optic cables? - Dension Gateway 500 Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 AM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
Where are the fiber optic cables? - Dension Gateway 500 Install

Hi everyone,

I have a gateway 500 to install, but my car has no cd changer installed. Are all 2003 cars pre-wired from the factory?

I've taken the little black plastic cover off from under the hood and looked around a bit, but I cannot find the fiber optic cables and/or the cd-changer power harness.

Can anyone give me any hints as to where these would be buried?

Thanks!

Rob

Old 04-23-2007, 12:46 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Find the amp in your front trunk (where the spare is), driver side. Hook into the optics there.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:33 AM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
Awesome! Thanks for the help!

Rob

Originally Posted by wross996TT
Find the amp in your front trunk (where the spare is), driver side. Hook into the optics there.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:29 AM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
I had the same challenge and the amplifier is the connection to work with. You'll find another connection behind the brake assy, but it's frequently too short to be workable.
Let us know what source you used for continuous 12V supply, I am interested.
Bear as well in mind that since you have no CD changer, you have to have it switched on through the PTST port so that the GW500 gets recognized on the MOST bus.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:02 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ze_shark
Bear as well in mind that since you have no CD changer, you have to have it switched on through the PTST port so that the GW500 gets recognized on the MOST bus.
I'm assuming you mean PST2 or PIWIS tester plugged into the OBD port.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I took the trunk apart today and found the connection for the amp as well as the connection behind the brake assembly.

I decided to put everything back together again and do some more homework. I've never worked with fiber before and don't want to make a costly mistake.

Ideally I'd love to find a hidden extra fiber connection to tag into, but it doesn't look like that will be an option for me. Is the correct procedure truly to splice into the existing fiber loop? Has anyone does a write-up for this?

Thanks for putting up with all of my newbie questions!

Rob

Originally Posted by ze_shark
I had the same challenge and the amplifier is the connection to work with. You'll find another connection behind the brake assy, but it's frequently too short to be workable.
Let us know what source you used for continuous 12V supply, I am interested.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:57 PM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
There is a long thread on the topic on Rennlist. You have to open the MOST loop and insert the GW500, as close as possible to the head unit some say, and with due respect to the signal direction. It is a loop, Dension documentation explains this decently.

The good thing with FOs is that, short of braking them because of extreme bending radius, you can hardly get anything wrong, unlike electrical connections.

Do check one thing though: there are two types of FO connectors in Porsches: most are from Tyco, but some are from Yazaki (like my 04). Tyco connectors are recognizable to their blue retainer clips, Yazaki are bigger and have white retainer clips. Odds are that your Dension kit came with Tyco FOs and adapters.

They are NOT compatible, nor are the FO terminals. My advice is:
#1: determine whether you have Tyco or Yazaki gear
#2: find 12V, unswitched. Not obvious when you don't have a CD changer. That's where I am stuck.
#3: have your head unit switched to recognize the CD player (config through the OBD port), otherwise the GW500 unit will be ignored

Old 04-23-2007, 03:59 PM
This is the most informative post I found.

Gateway 500

oh...you beat me to it.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:14 AM
For those following this thread, I have a progress report.

I have installed the GW500 in the car, and it works!

I tied into the FO line at the amp connection. I pulled power and ground from the amp wires as well. There are two wires in the amp loom that are larger than all the others. These are power and ground, and the power is constant.

Overall the installation wasn't very difficult. I could do it again in about 10-15 minutes. I took well over 1.5 hours to do it this time to figure everything out, and be extremely cautious.

I've ordered an extension cable from Bumper Plugs, and once I get that I will finalize the installation and hook up my Sirius tuner. If anyone wants photos of the installation please let me know. I can post them a bit later on. Nothing spectacular, but it may be of assistance to someone.

Anyway, that's all for now.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:07 AM
Can you confirm the colors of the cables you used to pull power ? I am curious where you spliced these cables, the harnesses going into the amp are very tight on my car. Photo would help.
Was the GW500 recognized immediately ? Do you have navigation as a head unit ?