996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stereo and Timers for my 2002 Bose setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 AM
cpu77 is on a distinguished road
Stereo and Timers for my 2002 Bose setup

I am having a Pioneer Avic-D3 installed. I currently have a 2002 996tt Porsche w/bose. I have a few questions.

1. Do they make a wire harness?
2. Can I use my factory amp?
3. Will it sound ok with factory speakers?
4. Is there a write up on moving the heater controls?
5. Anyone figure out a way to have a turbo timer and arm the alram?

Thanks
Ralph

Old 07-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I have the Pioneer AVIC Z1 (with ipod, bluetooth, XM) installed on my UMW Stage 2 Z/C ... factory speakers and amp ... moved the AC/heater controls all the way to the bottom as well .... I suggest going with the new AVIC Z2 ...

Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 AM
I am far to cheap for that. I am getting my D3 for $680. The z2 is $1300 and only adds the HD and the ability to have nav and listen to a cd. Who listens to cd's I want it primarily for the ipod hookup. Bottom line is I am a cheap bastard! I really don't want a aftermarket stereo but I want a clean Ipod connection I love my stage2 I wish old kevin would come out with a stage2B!

Old 08-01-2007, 10:08 AM
ReillyS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cpu77
I am having a Pioneer Avic-D3 installed. I currently have a 2002 996tt Porsche w/bose. I have a few questions.

1. Do they make a wire harness?
2. Can I use my factory amp?
3. Will it sound ok with factory speakers?
4. Is there a write up on moving the heater controls?
5. Anyone figure out a way to have a turbo timer and arm the alram?

Thanks
Ralph
Ralph,

There is no harness but there is harnesses and parts that will let you keep the bose and change the head unit. there is a part from porsche that will let you relocate the AC controls. Be careful with what discount house you buy from there is no warranty from anyone online except CC,BB and Crutchfield. I am in NJ if you have any questions Shaun SR AUDIO 908-437-0222

Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I am far to cheap for that. I am getting my D3 for $680. The z2 is $1300 and only adds the HD and the ability to have nav and listen to a cd. Who listens to cd's I want it primarily for the ipod hookup. Bottom line is I am a cheap bastard! I really don't want a aftermarket stereo but I want a clean Ipod connection I love my stage2 I wish old kevin would come out with a stage2B!
I have a Z1 with a great ipod hookup.. actually...not really...the interface is a lil slow... but from what I hear... the Z2 plays videos from the ipod and has a much faster ipod interface. How's the D3's ipod interface??

Old 08-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by ReillyS
Ralph,

There is no harness but there is harnesses and parts that will let you keep the bose and change the head unit. there is a part from porsche that will let you relocate the AC controls. Be careful with what discount house you buy from there is no warranty from anyone online except CC,BB and Crutchfield. I am in NJ if you have any questions Shaun SR AUDIO 908-437-0222
Thanks for the advice.. My buddy has a shop that sells this stuff. He just does not do many Porsche's. He told me there was no PNP harness. I was just double checking. He moved the controls by modifying them and the trim ring needed modified. He told me he was able to do everything with out tapping but only 2 lines. He made a custom plug.

Thanks
Ralph

Old 08-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I think ... moving the AC to the bottom is simply plug and play ... and if memory serves... I bought an OEM trim from the dealer... as well as a cubby hole that goes above the AC Controls after it was moved to the bottom. Now... if someone can find a covered cubby hole...then he's a saint in my book...

Thanks for the advice.. My buddy has a shop that sells this stuff. He just does not do many Porsche's. He told me there was no PNP harness. I was just double checking. He moved the controls by modifying them and the trim ring needed modified. He told me he was able to do everything with out tapping but only 2 lines. He made a custom plug.

Thanks
Ralph

Old 08-01-2007, 01:12 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I had PCM. It died...did the Avic-D3. Put in IPOD, XM with Nav, Bluetooth (the newer one and my iPhone work great....many phones (Verizon..>...don't work), and the usb serial interace (so I can just add a portable HD or flash drive for music too....amazing unit.

$680 is amazing!

Unit is in the top. I have a blank OEM holder at position 3 and the A/C was always in position 4. The blank is where the PCM C/D computer unit was....that lovely piece was 2300 in parts from the dealer. No on on the net could fix it....I was quite frustrated. ...but the AVIC with stock other stuff sounds great.

Best of luck. My installer blew the fuse for the gas....got one at an auto supply house fast. Just fyi in case that happens to you....

JB