996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help, having trouble installing sports seats...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:50 PM
lilstan is on a distinguished road
Help, having trouble installing sports seats...

OK, I got my sports seat the other day and now I'm trying to install them but I ran into a problem. For some reason, the rails on the sports seats aren't lined up with each either, (left and right). Since that's the case, I'm not able to bolt down both rails. Does this happen with everyone? What do I do? I took a quick glance and it doesn't seem like I could change the rails. Can anybody help?

Old 11-15-2007, 02:20 PM
jstgermaine is on a distinguished road
What do you mean by "not lining up"?

Are we talking the width between the rails, one rail longer than the other, the rail bolt holes don't line up with those in the floor, etc?

Old 11-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by jstgermaine
What do you mean by "not lining up"?

Are we talking the width between the rails, one rail longer than the other, the rail bolt holes don't line up with those in the floor, etc?
Here are the problems I'm having:

One rail is longer than the other.
Rail holes don't line up.

The rails on the door side (where the seat controls are) line up good, but the rails on the other side (center console) don't line up at all. I don't know if it's becuase the seats came out of a GT3 or what. Does it make a difference if the seats came out from a GT3 or the C2, C4, or turbo?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
It seems that the rails are out of sync, pull the adjustment bar and move one of the rail to line up with the other... you might need two people for this since it is spring loaded...

Old 11-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Redridge
It seems that the rails are out of sync, pull the adjustment bar and move one of the rail to line up with the other... you might need two people for this since it is spring loaded...
There's an adjustment bar? Are you talking about the handle the moves the seat back and forth or is there a bar the adjusts the actual rails?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:11 PM
sklarge is on a distinguished road
the adjustment bar should be the only thing connecting the two rails. so once you remove that, it should be fairly easy to line up? unless they're completely bent sideways or something.

i dont know i've never seen a gt3 seat before, but that's my general consensus on seat rails.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lilstan
There's an adjustment bar? Are you talking about the handle the moves the seat back and forth or is there a bar the adjusts the actual rails?
Yes, adjustment to go back and forth, the rails move independently from each other, one of the rails must of moved accidently while you were pulling on the adjustment handle... BTW, I have gt3 seats and it will fit in any 996 with no issues.

Last edited by Redridge; 11-15-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Redridge is correct...make sure the adjuster is in the same hole from front on both rails...it is easy to get one out of sync when the seats are out of the car

Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 PM
ok, i just got home and I moved the rail just like Redridge suggested. Since it's dark and my garage is clutered with hella s!@t, I'll try that again tomorrow morning. I think I got it though. Thanks for all of your help. I will post the outcome and maybe some pics tomorrow. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Ok, I got the seats to line up. Now I'm having trouble with the wiring. DAMN!!! Any suggestions?

Old 11-16-2007, 09:49 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
hey lilstan, look up board member adam bowles he just installed my old set of sport seats. he did mention that he had to make some type of wiring modification. from what I remember it was just a pin relocation.

by the way are you looking for rear seats to match the sport seats? I have a set of pristine reat seats never sat in. they are carbon or what some call black leather.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:50 PM
whatever you do, do not turn the key on, or your airbag light will turn on...and will need to get it reset by dealer.... you might need to put the old one back in and retrace the steps you took.... damn man, stop working in the dark, put up some high wattage bulb and clean up that garage!... get organized!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:37 PM
I just got them in and I love the way they feel. Thanks for all the help guys!