996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Different Radio Code Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:55 PM
typhon is on a distinguished road
Different Radio Code Problem

i have found a lot of threads concerning lost radio codes. i can't find one on the problem i am having.

replaced the battery and radio code was never asked for. the only thing that the system requested was the code for the nav. nav works fine. radio, cd, cassette will not.

i have both codes, so that is not a problem. i just need to get the system to request the radio code. any i disconnected the battery a few times and even touched the two cable ends together to drain any residual charge that may have been in the system...still no luck. any ideas?

typhon

Old 11-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
If you have the original PCM1, there is an option for 2 code inputs, when the radio is reset, look at the opening menu, there is an option for two codes, 1 for the nav and one for the radio (or something like that)... I forget the exact wording but it is not that clear when I first had to do it, but it is there. BTW. nice car!

Old 11-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Redridge
If you have the original PCM1, there is an option for 2 code inputs, when the radio is reset, look at the opening menu, there is an option for two codes, 1 for the nav and one for the radio (or something like that)... I forget the exact wording but it is not that clear when I first had to do it, but it is there. BTW. nice car!
o.k. thanks! i'll give that a try. do i have to disconnect the battery again, or can i just pull the fuse for the radio?

cool lookin' ride you got there too. this is my first p-car and so far i am loving it...all except for the radio. i'm thinking about trashing the whole system and starting over.

typhon

Old 11-28-2007, 02:58 PM
still got the blues 'cause i can't hear no blues

been trying to get this radio thing sorted out. thanks for all of the help so far!! as previously stated, i have the codes. i had to disconnect the battery several times to finally get the system to ask for both codes, but it did and i have successfully entered both. the problem now is: the audio portion still does not work. the navi works fine. the ac controls show up on the screen. everything is working except the audio portion. the radio, cassette and cd changer are all non functioning. so, i opened the hood,trunk to remove my cd's from the changer and noticed that i do not have any power to the cd changer either and i noticed the courtesy light is out. i checked the bulb. it is fine. i checked the hot and it is fine. i checked the ground and it is broken. does the cd changer share a ground with the courtesy light? just a thought. or, are the 2 totally unrelated?

totally perplexed.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:00 PM
while trying to sort out all of these audio system problems, i have had to refer to this fuse assignment chart quite often. i posted it here just in case anyone else needs one.

Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 PM
911Spdstr is on a distinguished road
Did you ever find out what to do? I just have the exact same problem...

Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 PM
still got the blues 'cause i can't hear no blues

hey 911Spdstr,

sorry to hear that you are having this same trouble. not only did i not get it solved, i only had one person respond with any sort of advice. most of the enthusiasts on this site seem eager to jump on a problem and help get it solved. with the lack of response to this problem, it tells me one thing: nobody out there really knows what to do. i am trashing my whole system. i have been reading various threads about stereo replacement and am in the process of choosing which one i will go with. that is going to be another problem in itself. most of the threads are for systems w/ 4 speakers and mine has 6.

anyway, good luck.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Man that sucks - Mine was working great before I brought it to the shop. They change the battery out and said I need to enter the radio code. When I got home and enter it - got nav to work fine but no ration frequency pickup, no CD and no Cassette.!? Is there another fuse on the head unit itself? That is the only thing I can think off since Changer and amp usually need at least a remote signal from the head unit...

Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Yes there is a fuse for the head unit...also check wiring. It is also possible the head unit went bad (this happened to me under warranty it was replaced)

Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks - I'm gonna start that on the weekend. It is just odd to have power to the head unit and got Nav to work fine and not have any radio or sound and no power to the CD changer in the trunk! But it is a optical signal that it is expecting so...

Thanks again,
Jonathan

Old 04-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Typhon,

Don't throw your unit out man - the problem is the fuse on the head unit... I remove it and change out the fuse - got my tune back instantly (CD, NAV, Radio, and Cassette - good to go)!

Wross,

Thanks for the confirmation!

Old 04-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Steve Germany will become famous soon enough
+1

When I got mine the battery was dead dead. The jump from the tow truck extra duty jump system blew both the radio fuse and the head unit fuse. Took me a while to figure out that there were two fuses.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:58 PM
perryinva is on a distinguished road
Same happened to me from jump. 10A fuse on back of radio.