996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need Help!!! tires rubbing!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
someone fuqed with you and you got taken advantage of because you didn't do your research, bud. sorry man.

-rolling fenders sucks because the wheels should fit perfectly at stock height or lowered height.

-running spacers sucks because the whole point of spending mega bucks on custom fitment wheels is to avoid all that crap including hubcentric rings.

i'd personally dump these somehow whether you take it as a lesson learned or get back at the original seller. they cheated you if they told you it fits perfectly on the 996 TT because it obviously does not.

im currently running 19x12 work brombachers with 315/25 PS2s... slammed... zero rubbing. why? because they fit.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Exlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud ofExlondoner has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
someone fuqed with you and you got taken advantage of because you didn't do your research, bud. sorry man.

-rolling fenders sucks because the wheels should fit perfectly at stock height or lowered height.

-running spacers sucks because the whole point of spending mega bucks on custom fitment wheels is to avoid all that crap including hubcentric rings.

i'd personally dump these somehow whether you take it as a lesson learned or get back at the original seller. they cheated you if they told you it fits perfectly on the 996 TT because it obviously does not.

im currently running 19x12 work brombachers with 315/25 PS2s... slammed... zero rubbing. why? because they fit.

+1, sorry i find this thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:37 AM
c2mojo will become famous soon enough
Those wheels are intended for a WB 997 which is a tad wider than wb 996. Sorry man but without rolling and serious camber it will never look right.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
wb 997 > wb 996 > nb 997 > nb 996

the difference between the wb 997 and wb 996 is miniscule but miniscule is enough to rub or not rub ay there's the rub!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:57 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Can you post the serial numbers of the HREs? This should give us the pertinent info (i.e., the wheel width and the offset). From the pics, you don't have spacers, and if they were on a TT they should fit on your car. Are you running stock suspension / alignment?

Since the tires are the same size, it appears that the rims have a different offset. Sorry bro.

a WB 997 [...] is a tad wider than wb 996
True, but IIRC, 8.5" wide rim on a 997TT with stock offset will result in the same outside wheel location as the 8" wide rim with stock offset. The INSIDE will have 12mm less room though. The issue here is that the tire sticks out too far on the outside.

Although I agree that the rims should fit IF they were sold as described, I do note that Porsche issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for various 996s addressing (i.e., requiring) fender rolling. On some cars, the metal on the underside of the fender eats tires if the fender is not rolled. I don't think that is the issue here though.

-td

Old 08-16-2008, 12:34 AM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
wb 997 > wb 996 > nb 997 > nb 996

the difference between the wb 997 and wb 996 is miniscule but miniscule is enough to rub or not rub ay there's the rub!
Not at all miniscule.....997s can take about an inch wider wheel or much more aggressive offsets. 997 NARROW bodies and 996 WIDE bodies are about the same. If he got 997TT or C4 wheels they WILL NOT fit well at all. As you can see from his pics of the new and old wheels side by side, the widths are not that different, but the offsets are.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:57 PM
vf_1s is on a distinguished road
Nope, the wheels were originally from a 996 TT. Even confirmed it from HRE.

Here is the link:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1rs-996tt.html

This is the wheels I got, and I paid ALOT and went through alot of trouble to get these into Canada in the end.

HRE told me that the wheel was designed for a non-lowered 996 TT, and every offset is customized for the car. So there is no such thing as 996 TT will fit C4S, which was what I was told earlier by members of this site, by a few anonymous wheel shop that I don't want to mention, and other people...

Anyway, HRE did offer to re-do the wheels for me by extending the inner lip, and they really tried to help me out by giving me great deals. But having to send them to the states again, re-import them into Canada, and get new tires will cost me another $4500+...

thinking about shaving the piece connecting to the hub by a few mm, what do you guys think? This is my only way out, otherwise, I have to sell it.

Last edited by vf_1s; 08-17-2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: don't wanted to mention tire shop's name
Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 AM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Seeing the post shows me the wheels fit EXACTLY the same on the previous TT as on yours....they stick out in the rear of the TT as well. Its just not lowered and he probably had the fenders rolled. Yes you can order HRE in ANY offset so there is no way to tell what offset the previous owner ordered unless he told you. That being said, you can roll the fenders, and/or have your camber adjusted or sell them. DONT shave anything off your car or wheels. Offsets are VERY personal to each person. I searched long and hard for wheels that had the offsets _I_ wanted NOT what some shop wanted to sell me or what some company thinks is the right offset for my car. So do some research and you will find the wheels that fit the way you want them to fit your car. Before you sell you may want to have the rear camber on your car checked...MAYBE your car's camber is not set right! It would be a shame to sell the wheels and THEN find out your camber is out of spec and was causing the tires to rub.....

Old 08-18-2008, 10:17 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
why don't you just have your fenders rolled? it's the easiest fix by far

Originally Posted by vf_1s
Nope, the wheels were originally from a 996 TT. Even confirmed it from HRE.

Here is the link:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1rs-996tt.html

This is the wheels I got, and I paid ALOT and went through alot of trouble to get these into Canada in the end.

HRE told me that the wheel was designed for a non-lowered 996 TT, and every offset is customized for the car. So there is no such thing as 996 TT will fit C4S, which was what I was told earlier by members of this site, by a few anonymous wheel shop that I don't want to mention, and other people...

Anyway, HRE did offer to re-do the wheels for me by extending the inner lip, and they really tried to help me out by giving me great deals. But having to send them to the states again, re-import them into Canada, and get new tires will cost me another $4500+...

thinking about shaving the piece connecting to the hub by a few mm, what do you guys think? This is my only way out, otherwise, I have to sell it.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:19 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
i would glady buy those wheels off you
those HREs have the rivots on the back of the wheel right? SRTBLST has those wheels and they are sick

Last edited by angldrkns9; 08-18-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:19 PM
vf_1s is on a distinguished road
I didn't have very good experience with rolled fender. Last time I rolled my other car, it started collecting water there, and started rusting... do you have any pics of what the lip looks like after you rolled it? Also, I am not even sure if it will clear after rolling.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:24 PM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Roll 'em, problem solved....

Old 08-20-2008, 10:59 AM
i don't have pictures of the my rear fenders rolled (Ron - viperterosa, at Forest Hill exotic did them for me)

but a rule of thumb with 315width tires, 19*11 TechArt 25mm offset = roll your fenders

i know the front fenders come already rolled from the factory and i believe on the 997 both the rear and front fenders come factory rolled.

get them rolled and you'll be set

??i don't believe our cars rust?? (correct me if i'm wrong)

Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 AM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by angldrkns9

??i don't believe our cars rust?? (correct me if i'm wrong)
I bet Calgary is salt city in the winter.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
This goes beyond just the appearance. Don't ignore the fact that the wider wheels change the rear track and throw off the finely tuned German suspension geometry. The best answer is to get the right fit for your vehicle.

Have HRE send you the correct outer rim sections and refer you to one of their dealers who can properly change them out for you. Otherwise, sell those and buy the right ones.