996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Dealership acceptance of PPI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:17 AM
granracing is on a distinguished road
Dealership acceptance of PPI?

I'm looking forward to purchasing a 996 in the next several months and understand the value of getting a PPI. If I decide to purchase one from a private individual, I'd fully expect the individual to allow a PPI if approached properly. What about dealerships though? Are dealerships typically okay with having the car go through a PPI? I can think of a few reasons why they might not including it being a "hasssle" for them, and maybe even a fear of uncovering some flaw even if minor they might now need to disclose to other potential buyers.

What are your experiences with getting a PPI done if through a dealership?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 02-20-2009, 02:48 AM
usdmej is a jewel in the roughusdmej is a jewel in the roughusdmej is a jewel in the rough
i dont understand, are you talking about a dealership doing a ppi of a car thats on their own lot? i believe they already do an inspection of a car (albeit maybe not as detailed as a ppi) before putting it up for sale (especially if its certified pre-owned).

ask the dealer if they do any type of inspections on their own cars, find out if its more or less than whta they'd normally do for a ppi and go from there

Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I would want to do a PPI regardless of who is selling me the vehicle. It's your right to ask for the time to take the car to a third party to perform an inspection, and it's the seller's right to refuse the request. If they did refuse, I would walk away to the next car on my list and not look back.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Just to clairify, I meant to take a car being sold at a dealership to a different shop in order to obtain a PPI.

I'm pretty much in agreement with you deckman but wonder how open dealerships typically are to doing this. I know it will probably vary from one to another but am curious what other peoples experiences have been when making this request.

Dave

Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 AM
uberskier is on a distinguished road
When I purchased a CPO at a dealer last March, the sales rep actually drove the car over to the independent mechanic himself.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:58 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uberskier
When I purchased a CPO at a dealer last March, the sales rep actually drove the car over to the independent mechanic himself.
I thought CPO was a Porsche product - why would a dealer take a CPO car to an indy?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
I have never encountered a dealership that did not allow one of their cars to undergo a PPI.

That said, expect them to want the inspecting garage to be reputable and within a reasonable distance. Over the years I heard two complaints, one from a fellow whose favorite garage was 50 miles from the dealership; another who complained that they weren't going to let he and his brother do a PPI at home. I found it hard to fault the selling dealership in either case.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 AM
What you said makes complete sense.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
i believe they already do an inspection of a car (albeit maybe not as detailed as a ppi) before putting it up for sale (especially if its certified pre-owned).
DEALER INSPECTION IS NOT A PPI. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Rely on the inspection at your own risk.

To the OP, the dealer should not object to an independent PPI. If they do for no legitimate reason, you should walk away from the car.

-td

Old 02-20-2009, 12:51 PM
uberskier is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I thought CPO was a Porsche product - why would a dealer take a CPO car to an indy?
I live in NY and the dealership was in Kentucky. I wanted to have another opinion other than the sales rep and the service techs at the dealer.

The rep said that he was familiar with the independent shop and had brought cars there before.