996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

C4S Power Gains

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:28 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Question C4S Power Gains

Ok, here's the situation, got a 2003 996 C4S. I'd like to start adding some more power to the car......was thinking going the route of a SC Kit, but now that I think about it WAY too much coin for me to justify (as opposed to just getting a turbo anyway), not to mention I believe VA has strict emissions testing (that's what I've heard). Currently, the engine on my 4S is completely bone stock......the only thing I've changed is added a Fabspeed Muffler Bypass pipe set up that I love.....So, here's what I'm thinking....

Plenum + Intake (Evoms, K&N, BMC???) + ECU Upgrade (thoughts???) = ~$2500.........

Am I right here, about $800 for plenum, $500 at most for intake + $1200 for ECU upgrade......anyway, I'm not interested in really getting in to the nitty gritty of headers, etc etc.......I'd like to keep the Fabspeed Muffler Bypass pipes on b/c the sound is intoxicating for me and what I believe a Porsche should sound like always......

So, if I was to keep the muffler bypass pipes and go with those three components, does anyone have any idea what type of power gains I would make (I know it's not a performance/sport exhaust, but would I really lose that much power?)? I would really like to hear thoughts from those who either have the same set up currently and/or individuals who have tested extensively these components together. I'm not looking for CRAZY power (I'll save that for when I buy the TT and make the voyage to 700+HP ). I'd like this to be a daily driver most likely if I don't sell it when I get the TT.

Thanks everyone.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:13 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boochook
Ok, here's the situation, got a 2003 996 C4S. I'd like to start adding some more power to the car......was thinking going the route of a SC Kit, but now that I think about it WAY too much coin for me to justify (as opposed to just getting a turbo anyway), not to mention I believe VA has strict emissions testing (that's what I've heard). Currently, the engine on my 4S is completely bone stock......the only thing I've changed is added a Fabspeed Muffler Bypass pipe set up that I love.....So, here's what I'm thinking....

Plenum + Intake (Evoms, K&N, BMC???) + ECU Upgrade (thoughts???) = ~$2500.........

Am I right here, about $800 for plenum, $500 at most for intake + $1200 for ECU upgrade......anyway, I'm not interested in really getting in to the nitty gritty of headers, etc etc.......I'd like to keep the Fabspeed Muffler Bypass pipes on b/c the sound is intoxicating for me and what I believe a Porsche should sound like always......

So, if I was to keep the muffler bypass pipes and go with those three components, does anyone have any idea what type of power gains I would make (I know it's not a performance/sport exhaust, but would I really lose that much power?)? I would really like to hear thoughts from those who either have the same set up currently and/or individuals who have tested extensively these components together. I'm not looking for CRAZY power (I'll save that for when I buy the TT and make the voyage to 700+HP ). I'd like this to be a daily driver most likely if I don't sell it when I get the TT.

Thanks everyone.
Most of any power increase will come from the ECU flash - I wouldn't count on much gain from plenum and/or filter. Softronics ECU software advertises taking a 3.6l 996 from 320hp / 273tq to 340hp / 286tq.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:28 AM
c2mojo will become famous soon enough
Bypass (you have them)
High Flow Cats, Softronic ECU, and Evoms intake =$2600, I've seen a car get 20whp with this setup. Is it worth it, yes it is

Old 03-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
seriously.... I love the 4s. But if you crave for power I would just save your money towards the TT. Especially if you cant go SC route... Even if you do these mods and get 20-25hp (and thats the very max... but not likely).... you will get used to it and crave even more... hence the slippery slope.... FI is the only way to go for more power.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

I can't give you much insight as my car already had everything installed when I bought it.

But I have headers, 200 Cell Cats, Evoms CAI , GIAC reflash, and AH sport mufflers, and it runs very strong. My car felt slower with the bypass pipes.....not enough back pressure.

Here what you need to do.......take her to a road course track day/DE and you will prob realize....... that the car is fast enough.

Work on handeling.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
[quote=Brando

Here what you need to do.......take her to a road course track day/DE and you will prob realize....... that the car is fast enough.[/quote]

save your $$$...is my advice

Old 03-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Malakas is on a distinguished road
really look into the software flashing... I've heard that some companies adjust the e-throttle so that it is giving it more gas for less pedal travel (compared to stock) to simulate more power. That makes me hesitate, but I need to do more research.

I doubt the plenum or intake will give you that much power - but the sound may just enhance your already sweet sounding exhaust. I mean, modding is sometimes just about tinkering with the car for fun... as long as you dont make it slower... then all is good, hobby continues.

Last edited by Malakas; 03-22-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:27 AM
pjalexandre is on a distinguished road
Berk,

Take it to the road track. Best place to spend the money is on the suspension and new brake pads and on the guy behind the steering wheel.

The bypass pipes will net you more top end HP from 5-7K but you will loose torque below that. They just shift the power band and uncork the system. The high flow cats or cat bypass work well too, they just add to the noise you already have.

Softronics is a good choice as is the EVOMS... I would skip the plenum imho.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
pass on the supercharger Berk =D if you want to drive a SC 4S you can drive mine anytime if you come visit
and pass on the power mods, it's not worth it
put the $2500 in the "Berk Turbo Fund" for future use

Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Guys - this is ALL GREAT INFO....I truly appreciate everyone's input. I heed the advice of those suggesting I spend the $$$ on the "become a better driver" and the TT fund. That's most likely what I'll do. Even though I haven't taken this car to the track ever (i've been there w/ my Boxster, chipped w/ PSS9's), I may start doing that.

Thanks guys!!!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Banned
RSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond repute
Greetings Boochook,

I too am a personal believer in investing in quality seat time at the track. It's investment in yourself that comes automatically installed each and every time you get behind the wheel of any car. Plus it's a boat load of fun. But eventually that craving for more power and torque resurfaces like a nuclear submarine.

The fact of the matter is even the best software on the market (which is EVOMS by the way) won't put down as much power as the IPD plenum in a naturally aspirated Porsche. Although there are still some non-believers, they will usually be converted if and when they install the IPD plenum on their Porsches. The IPD plenum is the single best performance mod you can possibly install on a late model Porsche. I have yet to see any relevant dynos from some of the other brands mentioned above. And if you compare the horsepower per dollar return then you've even further ahead with the plenum.

I don’t want to start another raging debate over the plenum, but bottom line is we've sold over 1500 IPD plenum with an overwhelming customer satisfaction approval rate. They all come with a 100% money back guarantee if you’re not completely blow away.

Enjoy the track and give us a call when you can’t resist the urge for more “real” performance.

Cheers,
Greg

Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 PM
SuperchargedC4S is on a distinguished road
+1 on the plenum.
But take it from someone who has added it all (X51, Powerchip flash, IPD Plenum, 100 cell cats, high flow mufflers, LFW, etc), the supercharger is really all you need. You'll forget all about the turbo until the 3.8 liter, direct injection model comes out.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks Greg.....I'll definitely keep you guys in mind when the itch comes for more power....

Originally Posted by RSSGREG
Greetings Boochook,

I too am a personal believer in investing in quality seat time at the track. It's investment in yourself that comes automatically installed each and every time you get behind the wheel of any car. Plus it's a boat load of fun. But eventually that craving for more power and torque resurfaces like a nuclear submarine.

The fact of the matter is even the best software on the market (which is EVOMS by the way) won't put down as much power as the IPD plenum in a naturally aspirated Porsche. Although there are still some non-believers, they will usually be converted if and when they install the IPD plenum on their Porsches. The IPD plenum is the single best performance mod you can possibly install on a late model Porsche. I have yet to see any relevant dynos from some of the other brands mentioned above. And if you compare the horsepower per dollar return then you've even further ahead with the plenum.

I don’t want to start another raging debate over the plenum, but bottom line is we've sold over 1500 IPD plenum with an overwhelming customer satisfaction approval rate. They all come with a 100% money back guarantee if you’re not completely blow away.

Enjoy the track and give us a call when you can’t resist the urge for more “real” performance.

Cheers,
Greg

Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 PM
SC'dC4S - Do you have any more info on your car including pix and details of your setup???

Originally Posted by SuperchargedC4S
+1 on the plenum.
But take it from someone who has added it all (X51, Powerchip flash, IPD Plenum, 100 cell cats, high flow mufflers, LFW, etc), the supercharger is really all you need. You'll forget all about the turbo until the 3.8 liter, direct injection model comes out.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 PM
DeweyC4S is on a distinguished road
Can someone point me to some independent dyno results for stock and stock + plenum?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C4S Power Gains