996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

how cramped or not cramped is the interior?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:20 PM
joeygambino is infamous around these partsjoeygambino is infamous around these partsjoeygambino is infamous around these partsjoeygambino is infamous around these parts
how cramped or not cramped is the interior?

I do a lot of traveling, sometimes for work , other times I commute alot to CT from NY ( 40 minutes) and so its really great that Porsches are fun cars to drive, but

are they comfortable and erognomical when you just want to cruise around?

Basically if your going to be spending a lot of time in your car, is getting a 996 a smart thing to do or it is better to get a suv or a lincoln town car or something

opinions please

Old 03-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
The cars feel like other cars - add PSS9's or Motons and they let you feel the road and might get old, but I like it. A loud exhaust makes using a cell phone impossible.

But the more time on the road the more fun in the car. I used to commute 90 miles each way and the only thing that kept me sane was the P-car

Old 03-29-2009, 12:01 AM
joeygambino is infamous around these partsjoeygambino is infamous around these partsjoeygambino is infamous around these partsjoeygambino is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ken
The cars feel like other cars - add PSS9's or Motons and they let you feel the road and might get old, but I like it. A loud exhaust makes using a cell phone impossible.

But the more time on the road the more fun in the car. I used to commute 90 miles each way and the only thing that kept me sane was the P-car
90 miles, geez , you have me beat by 50 miles and I thought I had it bad

I like commuting , so 50 miles is no big deal for me

Last edited by joeygambino; 03-29-2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
Im 6'2" and not the leanest guy around and I was worried about "fitting"... A extended test drive took care of my worries. The seats are very comfortable and you just need to find the right "position". The fuse hump takes up the space I would have liked for my left foot and the wheel doesnt tilt but I can still be comfortable in it.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:21 AM
0luke1 is on a distinguished road
I was concerned about this when I switched from a Caddy STS-V to a 996.

I was amazed to find that the 996 is far more comfortable - especially on long trips.

The only thing I'd advise is to be very careful about tire selection. As soon as I wear out my p-zeros, I'm switching to something less harsh and noisy. My blizzaks were far more humane.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:46 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Looked at an Audi A6 yesterday. While the ride was smoother over rough pavement, the interior of the 996 felt a lot roomier. With stock suspension and reasonable roads, the 996 is a good long distance tourer as well as a good driver around town.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 AM
MCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to beholdMCM97 is a splendid one to behold
I love my 996 but for "longer" trips 2+ hours I prefer the X5. It's just an easier commute/road trip vehicle. And right now you can get a 2003 X5 for about $11k so why not get both???

Old 03-29-2009, 09:50 AM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by joeygambino
I do a lot of traveling, sometimes for work , other times I commute alot to CT from NY ( 40 minutes) and so its really great that Porsches are fun cars to drive, but

are they comfortable and erognomical when you just want to cruise around?

Basically if your going to be spending a lot of time in your car, is getting a 996 a smart thing to do or it is better to get a suv or a lincoln town car or something

opinions please
A 911 of almost any variety is not a luxo-barge. You compromise on creature comfort for style and performance. That being said, most people I know don't mind the lack of soft-cushy-ness you'd get in a granny mobile. Personally, I've taken 4 hour trips in my car with PSS9 on almost full stiff while sitting in a racing seat. And even that wasn't terrible.

-td

Old 03-29-2009, 09:55 AM
chsu74 is on a distinguished road
Regarding roominess, 996 on is a huge improvement from 993s. I go to NYC often and used to drive the pcar alot more before the PSS9 upgrade with very stiff setting. Roominess was not the issue anymore because I get bounced around with the rough roads..

Last edited by chsu74; 03-29-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:09 PM
SKooT1027 is on a distinguished road
I think there's plenty of room, but it will depend on suspension for sure. Aftermarket, depending on what you go with, I could see making it very harsh and not as comfortable. Stock or similar I'd think you'll be fine... as long as you arent in the back seat. Maybe age will factor in too just given the low seats/car. I believe there were more sport oriented seats and normal/lux style ones. You may want to opt more for the non-sport, as Id imagine those are firmer and more bolstered.