996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 vs. E46 M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Banned
11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts
996 vs. E46 M3

I'm sure the thread has been done before but I'd like a cleaned up version of it. Could someone compare and contrast the following:

Reliability/Maintenance/Durability/Longevity

Handling/Power/Feel

Cost/Ownership...

Thanks

Old 03-30-2009, 06:43 PM
nine9six will become famous soon enoughnine9six will become famous soon enough
Reliability/Maintenance/Durability/Longevity - The M3 wins here, from my experience, the 996 is far less reliable

Handling/Power/Feel - M3 feels more tq but I believe the 996 is a hair faster, the feel of the 996 dominates the M3 if you are more a fan of sports car. The e46 M3 feels soft and much more like a lux than a sports car.

Cost/Ownership...- M3 would be cheaper to buy and cheaper to own.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned
11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts
I know the M3 has the VANOS issue which is an expensive fix, but the 996 has the RMS issue. What else is typical of the 996 in terms of expensive count on them type issues?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:15 PM
DucatiS4R is on a distinguished road
i have owned a E46 M3 and currently own a C4S (chip/intake) and can say that the 996 is much more prone to problems. I literally beat the sh*t out of my M3 every single day and it never died. It is a truly amazing car. One of the best in my opinion. You give up a lot to get a little in the 996 but to me that little was worth it.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 AM
Malakas is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 11Past9
I know the M3 has the VANOS issue which is an expensive fix
... I think that you can rebuild the VANOS and actually squeeze out more power for less than a grand. You can't do anything to a P-car for less than a grand.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:02 AM
Teuton is on a distinguished road
What are your purposes for the car? Street use only? Occasional DE or Autocross? It matters as each car has inherent strengths and weakness.

For what it's worth, my buddy has both. The M3 has proven to be no less expensive to own than his 996. Standard maintenance seems right about the same (comparing Inspection II's and valve service for the E46 vs the 30 service for the 996).

Driving experience- the 996 trumps the E46 in spades. More feedback, quicker response and challenging nature at the limit. The 996 is lighter, slightly quicker, provides a fantastic amount of driver involvement that the E46 doesn't. The E46 is punchier down low but that's about it. It feels larger, more lethargic in it's reactions. Not saying it's bad, just not as good. I've had a chance to co-drive a decently prepared car a e46 M3 a few years ago for a season in autocross. The M3 is more forgiving to drive fast but the 996 seems to be a bit quicker but it's harder to extract that performance. But when driven right the 996 is amazing when driven to it's strengths can be quite a bit quicker than the M3.

Practicality- E46 has the advanatage of more space for passengers and better trunk.

Everyday driving comfort- Stock to stock the 996 is better with normal suspension (non sport). I've never driven a sport suspension car (MO30) but I hear it's only moderately more stiff than normal. BMWs tend to be overly stiff on their compression valving but have soft springs so it gives them a harsh initial hit on a bump but pretty soft rebound. The 996 is much better at controlling it's springs.

For me I'd pick the 996 but it depends on what you use the car for. Performance and driving dynamic are key for me and I have a second vehicle as a daily. Never have any downsides to my 996 as I don't drive it if I need playload space. If it's your only car, maybe the E46 is your ticket.

PS- for background I'm quite a Bimmerhead as well. My last car was an E36 323is that was prepared for DSP in SCCA (autocross) and my local chapters classing. I have had the opportunity to pretty much drive every variant of the 3 series starting with the E30. They are phenomonal cars for what their purpose is. The 911 is just more focused.

Last edited by Teuton; 03-31-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 AM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
I'd take the E46 M3 with stock 19's personally--it's such a sexy looking car and the interior feels like it has much more quality than the 996. It'd be better suited as a DD as well and you can get it fully loaded.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:58 PM
AudiOn19s is on a distinguished road
...not this thread again.

Only thing I'll point out, as long as you're doing your own maintenance work neither is really expensive to maintain if you ask me. The difference is many DIY'ers will shy away from the valve adjustment on the S54 in the M3 which is easily an $800-1200 charge at the dealer. I just did mine a few months back and it was actually quite easy. Rented the shim kit and tools from a guy on M3 forum, probably had $150 in the valve service when it's all said and done.

Pre '03.5 M3's that had the bearing recall have to run Castrol motorsport 10w-60 motor oil which is $10 a quart. I run $10 a quart oil in the 996 too so that really doesn't matter to me but could to some.

Other than that it's just routein stuff, plugs, fluids, filters, etc on either car. None of that work is hard to do. 996 is the easiest oil change I've ever done in my life too.

Andy

Old 03-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned
I think I would be happy with either, however I think the advantage goes to the 996 911 in terms of what makes you FEEL more special. It is like a unicorn car while I think the E46 M is easily washed out in comparison.

I am mainly concerned with repairs and the likelyhood of significant problems. RMS is a big one.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:36 PM
joeygambino is infamous around these partsjoeygambino is infamous around these partsjoeygambino is infamous around these partsjoeygambino is infamous around these parts
in my experience,

the bmw is only fun when your going really fast or into turns. but the 996 is fun whether you are going like 25 or just cruising or just driving around at slow or fast speed. its overall balance, and handling is better but M3 is mass produced cars and there are great deals to be had if you with BMW

Last edited by joeygambino; 03-31-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by joeygambino
in my experience,

the bmw is only fun when your going really fast or into turns. but the 996 is fun whether you are going like 25 or just cruising or just driving around at slow or fast speed. its overall balance, and handling is better but M3 is mass produced cars and there are great deals to be had if you with BMW
Again, I am more focused on whether I will buy a 911 and end up hating myself because something crazy went wrong and I should have known it was coming.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:06 PM
RaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud of
Again, I am more focused on whether I will buy a 911 and end up hating myself because something crazy went wrong and I should have known it was coming.
You'll end up hating yourself more for buying the M3 everytime you see a 911 pass by.

About a year ago I was having trouble deciding between the 2 as well. Drove a couple of M3s, & ya, they're fast. But these days, a lot of cars are "fast." The problem is they're not a Porsche, because a Porsche is simply a Porsche: it's got soul. It has that special feeling. I ended up buying the 996 & couldn't be happier... Also, my brother recently traded in his 997S for an E90 M3, & he says there's no comparison in feel, fun, etc. He regrets it. Take into consideration that the E90 is a big step up from the E46 as well.

But hey, in the end it all comes down to what matters to you the most. Bimmers are pretty much bullet-proof. That same bro of mine bought a 7-Series way back when he was in high school, & he still has it, now with almost 200,000 miles! He's never had problems with it. So if you want a bullet proof car that'll seat 5 comfortably & haul *** while still feeling luxurious, get the M3. But if you want to be astonished, & drive with a grin from ear to ear all the time, get the Porsche. For being the true sports car that it is, it's actually pretty comfortable for DD, & the back seats aren't a problem for me either 'cause my passengers fit fine. No matter what car I'm driving, the passengers are always sexy, slender girls, & they fit fine in the back of the 996, so no need for a luxury car, lol.

...Plus you can't argue with those sexy lines in the sig right below

Last edited by RaphaelP; 03-31-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:21 PM
E. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura about
Your biggest cost of owning a 996 will be brakes and tires ( depending on how often you drive it and how you drive the car). In spite of the infrequent RMS and the Intermediate Shaft issues, the 996 is actually a pretty reliable sports car. See the link below and compare with others:

http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/t...el/porsche-996

If the RMS is what ultimately worries you than buy CPO or a reliable aftermarket warranty that covers those parts or buy a 996 that has had the failure and chances are slim the second engine will do the same.

Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by E. coli
Your biggest cost of owning a 996 will be brakes and tires ( depending on how often you drive it and how you drive the car). In spite of the infrequent RMS and the Intermediate Shaft issues, the 996 is actually a pretty reliable sports car. See the link below and compare with others:

http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/t...el/porsche-996

If the RMS is what ultimately worries you than buy CPO or a reliable aftermarket warranty that covers those parts or buy a 996 that has had the failure and chances are slim the second engine will do the same.

Good Luck!
CPO is only good for 100k or 6 years past original drive off date... That would mean I'd have to buy at least a 2004 and even so I'd only have a year of warranty.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:22 PM
E. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura aboutE. coli has a spectacular aura about
CPO is only good for 100k or 6 years past original drive off date... That would mean I'd have to buy at least a 2004 and even so I'd only have a year of warranty.
True, bought mine with a CPO that lasted an additional 9 months but after that ran out I was able to get an additional 3 year aftermarket warranty through the local Porsche dealer which essentially covers everything but wear and tear parts- it wasn't cheap but I have peace of mind from the dreaded RMS.

Last edited by E. coli; 03-31-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: grammar

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 vs. E46 M3