996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need Some Advice / Suggestions on Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 11:34 AM
russbert is on a distinguished road
Question Need Some Advice / Suggestions on Strange Noise

Recently I **thought** I heard a strange noise inside of my car when I unlocked it but it quit before I could really get a good listen.

Yesterday, I left the windows down and when I unlocked the car I heard a very high pitched, whirling type sound inside the car. It only lasts about 3-4 seconds so I'm not exactly sure where it's coming from. It seemed to be near the front of the cabin.

I know it's NOT the passenger mirror tilting down as the car was left in 1st gear; not reverse. I did not see the seat move since it can be programmed to a specific key plus my wife hasn't driven my car in several days. The dealer and I are at a loss as to what this could be. I thought it might be the radio. Why?

Because the radio is now losing it memory more than I do. Instead of playing the CD it reverted back to FM and the settings for the CD was back to the default ... instead of my settings (this is not the 1st time nor is it the first radio)! I can't imagine the CD drive spinning up when unlocking but I am in need of suggestions or opinions. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:43 AM
WARDHOG will become famous soon enough
It might be the locking mechanism that locks your gas cap door. Now as far as the radio, I was having similar problems and found the fiber optic cable going to back of the radio was being kinked. Un kinked it and secured the harness a little better and it's been great since then.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Poursha is on a distinguished road
A few months ago my stereo was doing strange things like you describe (and more) so the dealer looked into it and the tech showed me a document from PCNA (not in the standard TSB format) that said in cases where there are problems with the stereo, to replace the head unit, CD changer and Bose amp with units with the latest mod level and software versions (and not just use any ones they happen to have in stock). They ordered and installed all 3 and no more problems.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:27 PM
NC Bob is on a distinguished road
Bet it's the radio/CD. Cannot be the fuel door switch. That is activated by a solenoid that thunks more than whirls.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:37 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for your quick responses ... I will let you know what we (dealer and I) find out as soon as they do!

Old 10-28-2004, 10:46 PM
alamein is on a distinguished road
I have the same issue, and always assumed it was the CD spinning ... please update as to what you find out the actual problem is, thx.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:17 PM
WARDHOG will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by NC Bob
Cannot be the fuel door switch. That is activated by a solenoid that thunks more than whirls.
Are you sure? Generally solenoids are spring loaded and for the door to be locked, either it would require applied constant voltage or applied constant voltage to keep it unlocked.

Old 10-30-2004, 05:52 AM
CoreyNJ is on a distinguished road
I get this sometimes on my PCM2, don't have it when there is a cd in the drive. It appears that it thinks there is a disk in the drive and is looking to read the header. I just leave the nav cd in the unit and it doesn't do it, but my PCM2 was installed by me, so I'll check that I don't have a kinked optical cable tomorrow.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:14 PM
CoreyNJ is on a distinguished road
Well after a week with newly zipped strapped fiberoptic cable(I zipped strapped it to the "wired" harness, I haven't experienced the noise/cd searching problem, and I made sure to do everything that would cause it like not have a cd in and stuff like that.

Russbert, if all else fails or you feel upto it, try $2 worht of zipstraps on the fiberoptic cable, it seems to have worked for me. If your underwarranty, try to have them fix it though, it's their job. In my case due to my after-delivery installed PCM2, it was up to me.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:38 PM
CoreyNJ,

Thanks for the suggestion ... it doesn't appear to be the problem but I will keep it in mind. Hadn't heard noise since. I liken it to having a strange pain in your body and you schedule an appointment with the doctor ... pain goes away. Only returns much later when no one is around to diagnose.