996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

01 C2 Cab brake pads, tires and head unit advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Rthomson will become famous soon enoughRthomson will become famous soon enough
Smile 01 C2 Cab brake pads, tires and head unit advice needed

My Carerra is hibernating for the winter and I'm starting to think about a few things I want to be ready for spring.

The brakes require much effort when stopping. I have the big red brake kit installed but it just seems like you have to hammer the brakes to get any real braking out of them. Can anyone reccomend pads that would give me more responsive braking without having to stand on the brakes? Oh, and in a perfect world, less brake dust!

Tires. I will need new tires all around. Do I spend the large coin and go Michlein and call it a day or is there a less expensive alternitive that handles adequately and doesn't make it ride like a lumber wagon.

I want to change out the factory audio head unit. I replaced the speakers last year and it was a definate improvment but I really want greater fidelity, a better nav system, bluetooth and a seamless iPod hookup.

Thanks in advance for all of your wisdom & advice and happy holidays to everyone in the 6speed family!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:35 AM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
I just changed to Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport. W rating. I do not track the car, so do not really need Y rating. They are supposed to be quieter (read comparisons on tirerack.com) and provide good thread life.

Can't tell you how they performed yet because an engine issue right after changing tires. Hopefully fixed soon.

Cheers,

Old 12-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Goldduster is on a distinguished road
Check out the Sumitomo's - I just put them on mine

Old 12-21-2009, 08:21 PM
rudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the rough
The best answer to those questions depend on what you do with the car when you do drive it. My car is a DD and I don't track it at all.

I have the stock brakes and I just put a set of Kool Vues (from Parts Train) pads all around. They're supposed to be some sort of kevlar compound and are indeed low brake dust (much less then the stock set I replaced). They were cheap ($30/axle or so) but 996 brake pads are so easy to replace I figured I'd take a chance. I wasn't disappointed.

As far as tires, again under regular driving conditions, a lot of people are going with the Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs. Probably about $500 all around, not including mounting and balancing. They also meet my needs and I haven't been disappointed - especially considering the prospect of changing the rears every year.

Head unit - looking at a Kenwood double DIN nav unit to replace the CDR 220. Mostly because the display is detachable which should discourage anyone from tearing it out of my cabriolet... I replaced the dash and rears with Infinity Kappas and was pretty happy (no matter what the stereo guy said... of course he was trying to sell me a component system for a little south of $2k...) I have a pair of 5 1/4 Tang woofers I'm planning on putting into the doors... haven't gotten around to it yet...

My $.02... hope it helps!

Good luck.

Rudy

Old 12-21-2009, 08:24 PM
rudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the roughrudy1024 is a jewel in the rough
Bob,

I just checked the original post and realized it was you. How are you doing? Weren't we talking speakers awhile ago? I finally got mine in... but haven't gotten to the woofers (as I mentioned).

Great to see you still around!

Happy Holidays and good to see you again!

Rudy

Old 12-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by rudy1024
The best answer to those questions depend on what you do with the car when you do drive it. My car is a DD and I don't track it at all.

I have the stock brakes and I just put a set of Kool Vues (from Parts Train) pads all around. They're supposed to be some sort of kevlar compound and are indeed low brake dust (much less then the stock set I replaced). They were cheap ($30/axle or so) but 996 brake pads are so easy to replace I figured I'd take a chance. I wasn't disappointed.

As far as tires, again under regular driving conditions, a lot of people are going with the Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs. Probably about $500 all around, not including mounting and balancing. They also meet my needs and I haven't been disappointed - especially considering the prospect of changing the rears every year.

Head unit - looking at a Kenwood double DIN nav unit to replace the CDR 220. Mostly because the display is detachable which should discourage anyone from tearing it out of my cabriolet... I replaced the dash and rears with Infinity Kappas and was pretty happy (no matter what the stereo guy said... of course he was trying to sell me a component system for a little south of $2k...) I have a pair of 5 1/4 Tang woofers I'm planning on putting into the doors... haven't gotten around to it yet...

My $.02... hope it helps!

Good luck.

Rudy
Thanks Rudy. Ironically, I put the Kappas in the front and rear and Tang woofers in the doors too. I began a thread about it this past spring.. Thanks for your advice on the pads and tires. The thought of spending 2k on Michelin's doesn't excite me very much!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by rudy1024
Bob,

I just checked the original post and realized it was you. How are you doing? Weren't we talking speakers awhile ago? I finally got mine in... but haven't gotten to the woofers (as I mentioned).

Great to see you still around!

Happy Holidays and good to see you again!

Rudy
It is me and I haven't been on the 6 speed since spring! I own a seasonal business and when I'm busy, everything else gets put on a shelf if you know what i mean!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Rthomson
It is me and I haven't been on the 6 speed since spring! I own a seasonal business and when I'm busy, everything else gets put on a shelf if you know what i mean!
Then it's neither irony or coincidence! I went with the Kappas and the Tangs on your recommendation. The Kappas really are pretty nice (in spite of the smirk I got from an installer), the highs and mid-highs are really clear but without the woofers I can tell that the spectrum isn't filled in... it's been hard thinking about taking the door panels off, but the more and more I read over different peoples' instructions and tips, I think I'll have the courage in a couple of weeks to take them apart and get those Tangs in.

Best!
Rudy