996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New gauge face and white LEDs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
New gauge face and white LEDs

Ok, I did install a single FDV gauge face, plus white LEDs. Car is Boxster red interior with graphite gray and Arctic Silver exterior.

I like it. However, and contrary to my expectations, I was not too impressed with the quality of the FDV... it bleeds some light. It might be because the LEDs are brighter than the bulbs. It might. That said, the stock faces do not bleed.

Last edited by tarzancoe; 03-17-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
loooks good , how hard was it to change to leds? do the bulbs just pop in..or do u have to solder?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Omar, from www.porscheleds.com. They provide good instructions with pics as well.

No, you do not have to solder, just swap them. The first time it took me some time to get the cluster apart, because I got afraid when pulling or pushing different pieces per instructions. Other than that, be VERY careful with scratching the dash with the cluster clips and so forth.

The face: You'd have to remove the OEM sticker faces, and remove the needles. There are instructions online for this. It comes down to be careful and make sure that the gauges do not move or the needles will be off. It happened to me with the fuel gauge and I had to take it all apart again. Now, I can take the cluster apart in aprox 5-7 minutes, vs 1.5 hours sweating the first time.

Next thing is the A/C. This, you do have to solder 22 tiny LEDs.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
k thanks ive been meaning to do this mod, just need the time lol, and i remeber hearing about he soldering with the ac and thats what made me hesitate , because im not gonna wanna do just the dash im gonna wanna do all the lights in the car

Old 03-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Yes it seems like the soldering is a bit tricky due to the fact that soldering over 2 seconds melts the LEDs. Other than that, it should be straight forward. There is a threat on it and some people have achieved it successfully.

I actually was more worried about screwing up the gauges.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:30 PM
tb996 is on a distinguished road
If the cluster made you sweat, then you will lose a heck of a lot of fluid
doing the soldering. Good luck
Are you not changing all the dial faces?

TB

Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Funny . No, I am not changing the other faces, I like like it better with only the center one. Besides I am making my own custom faces, as there is a very limited choice out there. This is one of the reasons for updating cluster with the silver one, I wanted to learn how the whole thing works. Taking my time as I want professional results.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
guys dont change the a/c backlight with leds...its tiny work and as my result i endup buy new a/c unit...

Old 11-03-2010, 08:44 PM
fourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond reputefourempties has a reputation beyond repute
I'll ask again... Anyone local in the Philly area that can do this, and do the A/C unit too? That looks so nice with the white!

Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 PM
An Indy would charge VERY little for the cluster leds, as it took me aprox. 20 minutes the second time around. At $120/h or so, they'll charge you a few bucks. Soldering is a different story but somebody that knows how to, should not take more than an hour.