996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Installed some RSS Upper Control Arms and Lower Toe Arms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Wicked 996 will become famous soon enoughWicked 996 will become famous soon enough
Installed some RSS Upper Control Arms and Lower Toe Arms

I put my k-sport coil overs in and got it aligned and corner weighted. Inevitably the rear camber was unable to get with in spec and sat at about -2.4 degrees or so (mainly due to the ride height I chose)

I decided to put in RSS kit to solve the problem. Install was simple and a breeze - 30-45 min start to finish. I have the rear re-aligned and it came within spec no problem and they were even able to do kinematic toe adjustment with this setup which is nice.

Looks, fit and finish are excellent. Ride is a little stiffer in the rear - little more road feel with the hard mounts now - but with that it give a more confidence feel in the car and the rear end.

And even better I wont be eating through rear tires in under 5K and get some more life out of them since I can run literally any camber spec - I ran stock for now.

Couple of hints for install (to keep it as close to its current alignment before going to get it aligned)
- Once you remove upper control arms, make the RSS arms the EXACT same length hole center to hole center (just slide bolts through then tighten them down then pop them in the car
- do the same for the lower control arm to get the ~length the same. Also mark a rough setting for your alignment bolt on the lower arm to keep it "as close" to where it currently sits.
- dropping the sway bar U bracket on each side helps get access and allows you to pull the lower arm bolt out easy.

Attached Images   

Last edited by Wicked 996; 08-12-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Dervish is on a distinguished road
How much was the set?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Wicked 996 will become famous soon enoughWicked 996 will become famous soon enough
$1400.

anyone check out or seen the control arms they are making now?

Old 08-16-2010, 03:33 PM
LO_996tt will become famous soon enough
how are the k-sports working for you? What ride height did you go with? Could take some pics of the front setup?

thanks!

Old 08-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by LO_996tt
how are the k-sports working for you? What ride height did you go with? Could take some pics of the front setup?

thanks!

I ended up setting the height at 24 5/8" all around. On the low side but i wanted my 18's to fill the wheel wells. So far so good on the K-sports. No real complaints. Ride is nice - not overly stiff and handles great!

Here are some pics in this thread of my ride (page 3):

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ee-needed.html

Old 08-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Dervish is on a distinguished road
That's low!

Looking good though... got a lot of camber on the rear?

Stock front PU with cup splitter? Misha wing? Sounds familiar...

Old 08-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Dervish
That's low!

Looking good though... got a lot of camber on the rear?

Stock front PU with cup splitter? Misha wing? Sounds familiar...
It has lots of camber in the rear - there RSS bars got it back fully within spec.

My front chin spoiler is a factory GT3 chin spoiler I put on (DIY article here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...andard-bumper/). I decided against a Misha wing as I wanted a one piece unit (lid/wing) and went with MaShaw (very nice piece BTW).

I think the overall drop from stock height was just about 1/ 3/4" or so maybe a tad more. Still have plenty of ground clearance - no rubbing issues anywhere - even the front chin spoiler.

Overall very happy with the setup.

Thanks!

Last edited by Wicked 996; 08-17-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Kevganzon is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice. Any noise in the suspension during driving or cornering?

Old 05-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
i need those RSS Rear Dogbones, i have the same issue, my ride height is as low yours... Good Job!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Kevganzon
Thanks for the advice. Any noise in the suspension during driving or cornering?
None at all. Suspension is quiet. With the hard mounts of the RSS and the coil overs there is a little more road noise - but nothing that isn't bearable or drowned out with a little music.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 AM
i wonder if the joints need grease to reduce noise. Is the noise only during cornering or is it heard even on hwy driving? thanks

Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Kevganzon
i wonder if the joints need grease to reduce noise. Is the noise only during cornering or is it heard even on hwy driving? thanks

I have never greased these - I have never heard any noise from them at all on city, highway or hard driving/cornering.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Voodoo08 is on a distinguished road
what are the offsets of your wheels and have you had the fenders rolled to get that low?

Old 05-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Voodoo08
what are the offsets of your wheels and have you had the fenders rolled to get that low?

I have the stock factory 18" Porsche rims - unsure of the offset off hand. Did not have to roll fenders or anything.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Wicked 996
None at all. Suspension is quiet. With the hard mounts of the RSS and the coil overs there is a little more road noise - but nothing that isn't bearable or drowned out with a little music.
Just to clarify...if suspension is quiet where does the noise you say come from? tires, exhaust?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed some RSS Upper Control Arms and Lower Toe Arms