996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

LED Tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Panteralkn is on a distinguished road
just got an email from amazon - it will be 2-4 weeks before I can get a replacement. that sucks!

however they said I did not need to return the old ones - so i'm not sure what to do with them now - can you buy just the lens?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
Put them in your Recycle

Old 09-04-2010, 11:50 PM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
i heard they fog up and water gets inside of them . is that true because i just ordered a pair from ebay

Old 09-05-2010, 08:28 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by turbo_secret
i heard they fog up and water gets inside of them . is that true because i just ordered a pair from ebay
I haven't heard about any Porsche units but generally it is assumed that most of these lights are made in China with spotty QA controls put in place. Some get the good batch while others aren't so lucky and get some bad batches.

As insurance, a lot of people that get these type of lights run silicone around the seams before installing them.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:24 AM
MiamiC70 is on a distinguished road
I don't know is it just me but I think the regular non LED acuallt look better on our cars.

Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2010, 10:10 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MiamiC70
I don't know is it just me but I think the regular non LED acuallt look better on our cars.
"better" is a subjective term but I will say the non-LED's look more period correct on our cars(mk1 and mk2 996).

Old 09-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Nine_Eleven is on a distinguished road
Totally agree. I'm not a fan of aftermarket lights. OEM is much cleaner (red/clear) taillights.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:59 PM
ultraman206 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HxCforlife
I have the smoke version
Thanks! That does look pretty good.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:07 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by alpine003
I haven't heard about any Porsche units but generally it is assumed that most of these lights are made in China with spotty QA controls put in place. Some get the good batch while others aren't so lucky and get some bad batches.

As insurance, a lot of people that get these type of lights run silicone around the seams before installing them.
These are actually made in Taiwan, not China. Well, Taiwan is China and is not China as well, depends on how one looks at it. But we're not gonna talk politics here. Taiwan is well known to produce a lot of aftermarket stuff for cars because they have all these cars, and China does not.......yet. Their quality is a lot better than those from China, if the latter does produce anything like these. It is true that an added assurance from fogging by putting on additional silicone before installation was being done, but that was years ago. It is no longer necessary these days.

Originally Posted by turbo_secret
generally, no longer true. and definitely not true on the 996 LED tails.

Originally Posted by alpine003
"better" is a subjective term but I will say the non-LED's look more period correct on our cars(mk1 and mk2 996).
IMO, these 996 LED tails are one of those rare instances aftermarket tails pulled it off well. But there is a reason why we still keep the OEM in storage.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
hmmm - that is still debateable although i like both looks.

Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by yoopmqt
I just ordered a pair too.... couldn't hold back. I'll report on the plug and play thing, but I'm pretty optimistic that they will be.

did you get yours? how did they turn out? My replacement lights will arrive wednesday -- fingers crossed!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:49 PM
yoopmqt will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Panteralkn
did you get yours? how did they turn out? My replacement lights will arrive wednesday -- fingers crossed!

Got 'em done! I'm pleased. They look pretty good, but they do flash fast. I guess I'll either get a resistor or a new flasher relay. No big deal.

While I was at it, I installed some LED running lights up front. I tied them into the sidemarker wires. Very easy, actually.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
delirium is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by zdr2k
hmmm - that is still debateable although i like both looks.
That looks good, just dont want errors!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Got 'em done! I'm pleased. They look pretty good, but they do flash fast. I guess I'll either get a resistor or a new flasher relay. No big deal.

While I was at it, I installed some LED running lights up front. I tied them into the sidemarker wires. Very easy, actually.

looks great! I'll try and put mine on wednesday night!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Got 'em done! I'm pleased. They look pretty good, but they do flash fast.
Were these the same ones from the Amazon link? Looks pretty good actually.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Tail lights