996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

In the footsteps of giants - VF Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:50 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
looking forward to this!!!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
So am I!

Just got an update from FedEx, been checking it all day with my iPhone Deliveries app, and it says it arrives on Friday!

I'm going to do a short un-boxing video and post it on YouTube. I'll also take some pictures and answer a few specific questions I've been asked.

If anyone wants me to take a picture of something or detail some specifics about the kit, let me know this week as I'll be sure to do it when I'm doing a catalogue of the parts...

PS Now all I need is an aftermarket exhaust!...

Cheers
Aaron

Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
aaron what is the price for the kit you got?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
$6,800 + $200 in shipping costs. That's in USD and it was shipped to WA state.

I think Dan at Vivid is running the sale until next week if you're still interested...

Cheers
Aaron

Old 11-23-2010, 08:19 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
good luck on the install! happy boosting!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Purplx:i'm interested...i dont know betwen TPC and VF.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I have used all 3. Feel free to call me for questions.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Well I don't think TPC makes their SC kit anymore and is focused on the Turbo setup. Rumor I have heard is that a lot of people weren't happy with the TPC Turbo installation and would have preferred not to bother.

Of course, I have also read a few people that liked it as they have refined the kit over time. The fact that you get an exhaust system with it is a nice perk!

I personally like superchargers more than turbos in general. There is some debate here of course as SCs are belt driven and technically take engine crank to create the additional horsepower, whereas Turbos are from exhaust gases and could be seen as a more optimal recycling of lost power...

However, the SC will have a more consistent impact over the torque band and less of a lag that you will see with a Turbo, aka turbo lag.

Now I know saying all this I can be flamed, so up front, this is my personal opinion and I'm not interested in making this a debate thread. People can PM me with their thoughts.

Anyhoo, with the price of the kit and the overall appeal to me personally of a supercharger, I went for it. Plus I know someone local that has had great success with the installs of their kits, so I decided to go that route.

I don't know anyone with any experience on the TPC turbo kit. I did buy a TPC supercharger kit used a while back, but dumped it as their install was far too complex for my liking.

Plus they wanted me to pay to reflash it as I bought it used, and the $$$ for the install was going into silly land...

Cheers
Aaron

Old 11-23-2010, 04:25 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
^ i'm really excited to see how this goes. If you need an exhaust i'll trade you my muffler bypass pipes for your PSE hack exhaust

Old 11-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Me too! Sad update though as I just found out that shipment is delayed until Monday...

Haha thanks for the offer but I actually have a set of bypass pipes I never got around to using. What I really need is some 200 cell cats!

Cheers
Aaron

Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Airrik will become famous soon enoughAirrik will become famous soon enough
Post some dyno numbers up before and after kit I'm curious to see the results.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:18 PM
purple....what i like is that you can have and use your existing exhaust.For me with full fabspeed setup and valvetronic switch would be nice sound.
What is the install cost?That's what always add on (install) and make the price not interesting.It is DYI?I know of the thread here for DYI install but just wonder how much skills i need to install.

Dan vivid: I dint want to give you call because i would be $7000 lighter :-)

Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I hate dynos personally...

Rarely do I see anything of consistent accuracy from them and I've also seen a few people crater their cars on a dyno.

So don't get your hopes up on this one...

Cheers
Aaron

Old 11-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by gu9cci
purple....what i like is that you can have and use your existing exhaust.For me with full fabspeed setup and valvetronic switch would be nice sound.
What is the install cost?That's what always add on (install) and make the price not interesting.It is DYI?I know of the thread here for DYI install but just wonder how much skills i need to install.

Dan vivid: I dint want to give you call because i would be $7000 lighter :-)
Yes that would be a very nice sound.... and you're right with the SC you'd have more options in the way of exhaust setups versus the TPC turbo option. If you already have an exhaust setup, I'd for sure go the SC route. It is the last lacking thing I have to do on mine.... boy I wish someone would sponsor me.

Anyways... DIY costs is an interesting question. This would depend on you personally in terms of how much work you're willing to do on your own and how picky you get.

Justatoy (aka Stacy) did some custom billet hose mounts, oil separator, etc, etc and hired someone to do the electrical. I've heard builds like this taking $2k to do.

Technically speaking I'm at $1k already and it hasn't shown up, but let me explain. I'm doing a wad of servicing in preparation for this kit as I'm doing spark plugs, tubes, and coils so it has the best spark possible. I'm also putting in Mobile 15w50 and I need to change one of the front rad fans. Something I've been putting off, but since I have to pull the bumper anyways...

I'm also doing that 2nd gear detent mod to prevent any future pop-out issues. I don't have it now, but with the increase in boost coming into faster times in the RPM bands/gears, I'd say that doing that little upgrade may pay in the long run. Again, you have to remove the shields underneath for the SC install and the detent install, so why not. I'm sort of one of those "while in there" people.

Ok, now to be flamed... I'm also installing the boost gauge but I'm going to make it look as factory matched as possible. Some will say "rice!" adding any gauges, but I like to see information. It isn't the full meal deal gauge as I have the Durametric to do data logging.

Other things include changing the headlight bulbs and polishing the headlights, etc, etc. Lots of winter work getting caught up on to really have a sweet ride next spring.

Anyways what was the question... oh yes, is it DIY and install costs. Yes it is DIY. Install costs are unknown (ignoring the above as that doesn't really count). However, I will keep track of any SC unique purchases. I'll include the boost/vacuum gauge setup in this area as why the heck else would I have one... although it will be listed as optional.

To DIY, to me anything is DIY. I'm also patient and have been around cars my whole life as my Dad is a mechanic and hot rodder. I've also built cars with my Dad. Now old '57 Chevys and my current 1969 Super Bee are FAR different than these. But I can say I have done a lot of work on my own to the Porsche and it is a very easy to work on, logical car.

Plus there is a BOAT LOAD of information on the 996 out there now as more people pick them up used and have been modding them. This thread and previous threads on my blog are case in point...

I was like you, nervous to spend the money. At $11-12k there was no way. At $7k with shipping, it is still expensive. Sometimes I think, WTF are you doing man!?!

But as the tracking information puts my SC closer and closer, the grin on my face gets bigger and bigger... I have been watching SC'd 996s on YouTube for ages! The missus keeps saying "what the hell is that noise?!"

I don't know if this answers anything. But if I were you and had the cash, I'd say go for it... we can help each other with our installs as I think you have the same year.

Cheers
Aaron

Last edited by Purplxd; 11-23-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi all,

So my garage isn't cleaned up to the spec I want yet, not nearly in fact, but it is good enough to do what I need to do.

I got it all jacked up today, but I think I'm going to put it up higher so I can get under the car easier.

Anyways, I also changed the oil and went with others that have a SC and went with Mobil 1 15w50 as the engine oil of choice.

Not sure how much more time I'm going to have this weekend to work on it, but my goal is to get it higher up in the air and to take the wheels off the car. During the week I'll start on taking off the exhaust, doing the plugs and coils, and doing the water pump.

SC arrives Monday, new exhaust Wednesday... exciting.

Cheers
Aaron

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: In the footsteps of giants - VF Supercharger Install