996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

performance question restated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 PM
jacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the rough
performance question restated

Ok, so yesterday I asked about how to improve performance in my c2. 3 people said losing weight is the best answer. 2 people said light wheels is part of the answer.. Today I called about the AMT light forged wheels which save a lot of weight but go for $4800.
So I'll restate the ques: "What is the single best bang for the buck to improve the performance of the c2 horsepower or otherwise?"

Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
VF supercharger!!!!!! curently on sale...best bang for the buck!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:21 AM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
Supercharger is a great solution but I would do the suspension first (Coilovers, upgraded Sway Bars).

Old 12-09-2010, 01:28 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Do you want power or handling? Go with springs/struts and sway bars if you want handling, the SC if you want power. There are no power mods with a damn until you get to the SC, so stick with handling until you want to shell out the money for that. And at this point in the market, I'd just sell and buy a Turbo instead of doing the SC.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:54 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Save your money and buy a turbo or a newer model with more HP. Do you really think Porsche didn't research all the options??
As others have said lose weight. That is FREE.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Underdrive crankshaft pulley

Old 12-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by function12
Save your money and buy a turbo or a newer model with more HP. Do you really think Porsche didn't research all the options??
As others have said lose weight. That is FREE.
I think Porsche like all manufactures have to balance multiple customer wants with legal requirements to ensure the highest level of profit margins.

That is why there multiple versions in the 911/996 band from C2 to GT2/3 which answer to specific needs and budgets.

So to say, what you buy at the factory is the best a car will be since they researched it all for you is not true. Being that this is a performance car and shares the same chassis across all those options, each upgrade I've done has a dramatic increase in the performance I'm looking for.

Suspension stock on a C2 is "crap" in my personal opinion. So the upgrades have made the car more to my liking... the same can be said with things like GT3 seats as to me it secures me in the car and I can "feel" the road much better, but you give up the nice comfy sport seats and power options. In addition, the light weight flywheel makes gear noise, but I prefer the performance.

It would be like saying there is no point in building a race car when you can just by a GT3 RSR and not do a thing on it. You can be assured race teams even tinker with those...

Anyways, is there more power to be found, yes. Does it make sense financially, maybe not. Does it make it specific to your wants and needs, maybe that's your call as an individual.

Personally, in looking at the total sum investment I could have been in a stock Turbo at the time I bought my C2. But, I would have customized the Turbo (which is more $$) and still be further invested than I am now. I'm also not looking to get into 700-800 hp ranges.

I also prefer Supercharged cars than I do Turbos, so in the long run I'll have exactly the car I want when I'm done for same or slightly less of an investment. I also have the pride of being able to say I did most of the work myself. I also take some confidence in the fact that there are many supercharged Porsches out there with thousands of hard miles on them still going strong.

So, I went more to the performance and no luxury side of the customizations as I love the drive in a tuned Porsche. But, I wouldn't tell anyone my way is the way to go... but I would say that there is more performance in handling and power that Porsche didn't give you off the floor.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jacksonporsche
Ok, so yesterday I asked about how to improve performance in my c2. 3 people said losing weight is the best answer. 2 people said light wheels is part of the answer.. Today I called about the AMT light forged wheels which save a lot of weight but go for $4800.
So I'll restate the ques: "What is the single best bang for the buck to improve the performance of the c2 horsepower or otherwise?"
If you've already got the Classic II 5 spoke wheels, you're not going to be able to do much better in the lighter wheels category. I would invest in tires and suspension at that point.

If you are looking for straight line acceleration type power, best mod is to sell your car and get a different one or go the FI route

Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 PM
rodgerdodger is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Underdrive crankshaft pulley
Who makes this for the 996?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:09 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Purplxd
I think Porsche like all manufactures have to balance multiple customer wants with legal requirements to ensure the highest level of profit margins.

That is why there multiple versions in the 911/996 band from C2 to GT2/3 which answer to specific needs and budgets.

So to say, what you buy at the factory is the best a car will be since they researched it all for you is not true. Being that this is a performance car and shares the same chassis across all those options, each upgrade I've done has a dramatic increase in the performance I'm looking for.

Suspension stock on a C2 is "crap" in my personal opinion. So the upgrades have made the car more to my liking... the same can be said with things like GT3 seats as to me it secures me in the car and I can "feel" the road much better, but you give up the nice comfy sport seats and power options. In addition, the light weight flywheel makes gear noise, but I prefer the performance.

It would be like saying there is no point in building a race car when you can just by a GT3 RSR and not do a thing on it. You can be assured race teams even tinker with those...

Anyways, is there more power to be found, yes. Does it make sense financially, maybe not. Does it make it specific to your wants and needs, maybe that's your call as an individual.

Personally, in looking at the total sum investment I could have been in a stock Turbo at the time I bought my C2. But, I would have customized the Turbo (which is more $$) and still be further invested than I am now. I'm also not looking to get into 700-800 hp ranges.

I also prefer Supercharged cars than I do Turbos, so in the long run I'll have exactly the car I want when I'm done for same or slightly less of an investment. I also have the pride of being able to say I did most of the work myself. I also take some confidence in the fact that there are many supercharged Porsches out there with thousands of hard miles on them still going strong.

So, I went more to the performance and no luxury side of the customizations as I love the drive in a tuned Porsche. But, I wouldn't tell anyone my way is the way to go... but I would say that there is more performance in handling and power that Porsche didn't give you off the floor.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron I would agree with you that most American and a few import brands. These MFGs make big money off after market parts. I would say since Porsche has been racing these cars for many many years along with others around the world, where is all the after market add on performance parts? Where is Porsche's after market performance parts? X51 factory install. That is it as far as I know. Yes there are few items out there that claim 20-30hp but most buyers say their claims are not true. As the OP stated he wants real gains for the money. I don't believe there are any unless you start super charging or adding turbos. Do they make those for the 996 NA engine? Yes. Are they super expensive? Yes
The NA engine are the NA engines. You can get a few (20-50) more HP out of them but you are NOT going to get the 600-1000HP that the turbos can. You can get the same 20-50 by losing weight.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by alpine003
If you've already got the Classic II 5 spoke wheels, you're not going to be able to do much better in the lighter wheels category. I would invest in tires and suspension at that point.

If you are looking for straight line acceleration type power, best mod is to sell your car and get a different one or go the FI route
You can actually get rims weighing in around 18 F and 20lbs for the rear for around 1500 a set. That's a few pounds off each corner.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:13 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by geetee
You can actually get rims weighing in around 18 F and 20lbs for the rear for around 1500 a set. That's a few pounds off each corner.
Sorry I meant to say Carrera II aka 2002-2004 5 spoke BBS which are one of the lightest factory wheels at 20.5 and 22.7 lbs respectively. 2lb difference, I'm not sure you'd notice, at least on the streets.

Where can one get new wheels for 1500/set that come in at 18 and 20lbs?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Hybrid will become famous soon enoughHybrid will become famous soon enough
Wow! Lot's of great comments. I'd have to agree with the VFE supercharger first. After that you'll fry your rotors and pads every single track day, so put floating slotted rotors and Pagid yellow pads on the list too. And don't forget the high performance sachs clutch and pressure plate! For suspension I recommend the PSS10 (the PSS9 used geometry for progressive rates, the PSS10 uses metalurgy, so it allows your front wheels to be and inch and a half wider. For light wheels (12 pounds of unsprung weight at each corner makes a BIG difference) I recommend ebay followed by Wheel Enhancement to clean em up. I believe Champion RG5's are the lightest that you'll find on ebay. Consider 9x19 front and 11x19 rear if you use the PSS10 suspension. Once it's cornering properly, you'll absolutely need a racing seat, consider the Porsche GT3 on Bray-Krause rails.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by function12
Aaron I would agree with you that most American and a few import brands. These MFGs make big money off after market parts. I would say since Porsche has been racing these cars for many many years along with others around the world, where is all the after market add on performance parts? Where is Porsche's after market performance parts? X51 factory install. That is it as far as I know. Yes there are few items out there that claim 20-30hp but most buyers say their claims are not true. As the OP stated he wants real gains for the money. I don't believe there are any unless you start super charging or adding turbos. Do they make those for the 996 NA engine? Yes. Are they super expensive? Yes
The NA engine are the NA engines. You can get a few (20-50) more HP out of them but you are NOT going to get the 600-1000HP that the turbos can. You can get the same 20-50 by losing weight.
Just my 2 cents.
But that was one of my points... C2 to GT3 is an upgrade as it has a different engine, suspension, etc, etc.

Therefore, if one has a C2, one can upgrade their suspension and brakes with either after market or even stock parts. I put factory Turbo brakes on my C2! It's the same chassis!

You also don't gain hp by losing weight, you gain power to weight ratios and see a result in the lap times aka unsprung weight. But the dyno will read the same... and if you can handle a 600-1000hp car on the track or the street, then all power to you. I don't want that much hp. I got to go for a ride in the new GT2 in Leipzig with a Porsche test driver and I know I'd never buy that car.

Porsche is not the holy grail car from the factory, its just another car like all others... it can be changed and improved/customized to ones likes, desires, and driving needs.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by alpine003
Sorry I meant to say Carrera II aka 2002-2004 5 spoke BBS which are one of the lightest factory wheels at 20.5 and 22.7 lbs respectively. 2lb difference, I'm not sure you'd notice, at least on the streets.

Where can one get new wheels for 1500/set that come in at 18 and 20lbs?
I agree...I doubt 2-3 pounds will make much of a differernce
That being said OZ HLT's are 17.8 and 19 for about 1500
and forgestar f14's are 17.6 and 18.2 for similar price.
Well, at least that's what they claim the weights are for the standard 18 by 8 and 10's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: performance question restated