996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Trunk Space - Examples?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 AM
adr3naline fix is on a distinguished road
996 Trunk Space - Examples?

I'm looking to decide between a E46 M3 & a 996 C4. I've done a considerable amount of research, but have not seen an example of the capabilities of the trunk space. I always seem to forget to check the front cargo space when looking at the 996.

This will be my DD. I'm unmarried, no kids, and will remain the same for a year or two. Large amounts of cargo is not necessary, but I would like to take a large trip to the grocery store every couple of weeks if you know what I mean. If the 996 has 'enough' cargo space, I will own the p-car. (and pick up some snow tires )

(I've search this forum for related threads, and Google, but have had no luck)

Are their any pictures of a stuffed 996 trunk and/or what you can stuff on the fold down rear seats?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 PM
ericyingling is on a distinguished road
I usually can put two full paper bags of groceries in the trunk, and then I am maxed out.

M3 will have a lot more trunk space.

I may get some grief for this from others, but while the Porsche can easily function as a daily driver, I wouldn't want it as my only car. For reasons other than trunk space.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:38 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
On a C2 with the spare removed, the front has adequate space. I can fit 3-4 medium(18 by 12 by 12) sized travel bags. With C4's, it'll be less with that hump in frunk. There's also enough space in the back seats.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:37 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
get the porsche. there is plenty of room for groceries, even if you shop from costco.

the only problem is when you have to haul large luggage to airport. they will not fit in that case. carry on is okay.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by ericyingling
I may get some grief for this from others, but while the Porsche can easily function as a daily driver, I wouldn't want it as my only car. For reasons other than trunk space.
Care to elaborate? I'd be really interested to hear - My decision is a hard one to make.

Thanks for the replies from everyone else

Old 12-12-2010, 06:29 PM
ericyingling is on a distinguished road
Have you driven both as part of your research? What do you imagine is more comfortable for a day of running errands?

If your criterion is trunk space, then the m3 is the winner.

I love 911s. I have owned one since 1989. For a nice, traffic-free drive I don't know what car is better. The sound of the engine alone should be reason to drive one. It is a wonderful sports car that could be a daily driver, and is for plenty of owners.

But for those days that I am making a lot of short trips, like a Saturday full of errands, I am glad that I also have my Volvo v70.

I know its probably sacrilege in this forum, but I wouldn't want to drive a Porsche everyday. For me, driving it 1-2 a week keeps those drives really special to me.

Truck space is measurable and quantifiable, but a lot of other reasons to consider these two cars is highly subjective. This is my a opinion that you asked me to share, but I know of quite a few contributors to this forum that happily drive their 911s everyday.

Whichever you choose, you will be happy.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the response. I may opt to pick up a beater Toyota pickup+ liability insurance as a second vehicle & have the best of both worlds.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I drive a C4S, so the "frunk" may be a little smaller due to the AWD system. Not sure how it compares to the standard 996 with a spare tire.

I can fit a roll-aboard suitcase that measures 22x14x9 perfectly in the space. It fits like a glove.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
In terms of trunk space, the trunk on a C2 will easily accommodate two carry-on suitcases. C4 trunks are a bit smaller, so I'm not sure you can get two in there. But you also have the fold-down rear seat area, which is also quite large. Your biggest problem vs. the M3 will be if you want to transport a bicycle or skis inside the car. If I'm not mistaken, M3 has fold-down rear seats, so you can easily fold them down and put a bicycle or skis through the trunk, which you just can't do with a 911.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Panteralkn is on a distinguished road
I sold my SUV two months ago and have been using my C2 as a DD since then. (hell I never drove my SUV when I had it). It is enough for me. I travel frequently and my rollaboard and laptop case fit easily into the trunk.

I've contemplated buying something cheap to drive on bad weather days but for now it just doesn't make financial sense. I'd rather driver the Porsche!

Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I had a C4 as a daily driver (and my only vehicle) for over 3 years and never had an issue with trunk space. Now I have a Turbo and I'll regularly use it for grocery trips. I have two little kids so grocery trips regularly are over $100, and $200 is pretty common too. I've never had an issue fitting everything into the trunk and passenger seat.

The trunk of a C2 has even more space without the diff taking up room, and I've still been fine with the slightly smaller trunk.

Based on what you're looking to use it for, I wouldn't be worried about trunk space. The rear seat/parcel shelf are pretty darn big too, and I rarely even have to use them.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
The rear shelf area is pretty deep.. I just brought home a shelf from home depot that is 6' tall

if you are single I dont see issues with having the pcar as an only vehicle. I never shopped at costco when I was single.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I use my 911 TT as my DD and would never go back. There is plenty of storage space for 99% of your needs. If you need to carry a bicycle or skis, get a roof rack. You can easily pack a month's worth of clothes in a suitcase and put it on the passenger seat for the ride to the airport. I even got 2 rims and 2 tires in there when I was preping for the winter!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
Your biggest problem vs. the M3 will be if you want to transport a bicycle or skis inside the car. If I'm not mistaken, M3 has fold-down rear seats, so you can easily fold them down and put a bicycle or skis through the trunk, which you just can't do with a 911.
This is not something I thought about. I travel regularly to ride. If I'm not mistaken, the Yakima roof rack from my Audi may be able to be adjusted and thrown on-top of the p-car. Of course it wouldn't have the same spread & I would also have to make a Q-Clip....but it technically could work.

hmmmmmmm

The farther I read down this thread the more I'm giving way to less cargo space.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by adr3naline fix
This is not something I thought about. I travel regularly to ride. If I'm not mistaken, the Yakima roof rack from my Audi may be able to be adjusted and thrown on-top of the p-car. Of course it wouldn't have the same spread & I would also have to make a Q-Clip....but it technically could work.

hmmmmmmm

The farther I read down this thread the more I'm giving way to less cargo space.
I think the only way to get a roof rack on a 996 is to use the Porsche cross bars that fit into tiny slots on the roof. Then you can attach various bike carrier attachments to that. So, forget about using the racks from your Audi or generic Yakima racks alone. The Porsche cross bars are pretty pricey -- ask your dealer (or Suncoast Porsche for a discounted price).

Last edited by Long Islander; 12-13-2010 at 09:29 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Trunk Space - Examples?