996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

I know I'm slow but....

Old 07-16-2003, 07:46 PM
John S is on a distinguished road
I know I'm slow but....

could someone please explain what spawned the controvery concerning the other board?

I hope I'm not out of line asking the above question (please feel free to delete my post if appropriate-there will be no ill feelings on my part) but I feel like I'm the only one who missed what happened.

Thanks for any insight you can provide,

By the way-great forum!

Old 07-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Buffy is on a distinguished road
I think I am even slower.....
I have no clue either.

Old 07-17-2003, 07:36 AM
redhummer96 is on a distinguished road
Nut sure either and I've been a member of the "other" board for a while now.

Old 07-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Rob in WA is on a distinguished road
I missed it too....

Old 07-17-2003, 06:34 PM
Banned
bobc4s is on a distinguished road
I like this Board, you can be honest and you won't get censored. Great job guys

Old 07-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Lahight is on a distinguished road
can someone explain what happened?

Old 07-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Gery is on a distinguished road
Question from where I stood and heard chatter

I think it was a matter of censorship and personal issues... Again only noise...

Old 07-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Mike in Ct is on a distinguished road
Seems like it's water over the damn to me...

Old 07-21-2003, 04:10 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, enjoy the forum and and all the others out there - Obviously jokes can be taken out of context some time on the net - this place was created to have fun without censorship

Great things to come very soon so stay tuned And thanks to everyone for all your support!

Old 07-24-2003, 09:23 AM
doncapecod
I think the only people who know the complete story are Darren and CFG. Personally, I joined 6speed because of the "personality" and freedom of expression on the Board. My gripe with the other board is that people who posted something that the owner didn't like they were publicly admonished, and I was one of them.

The folks thar run this Forum are young, knowledgable, flexible, and responsive. Do they get competitive at times? You bet! Anyone that has owned a business or service knows that there are 3 kinds of people in business... 1. Those that MAKE things happen! 2. Those that WATCH things happen! And 3. Those that WONDER WHAT HAPPENED!

Hell, I'm more than twice as old as these guys, but I love Porsches, I enjoy talking about them, and I enjoy helping out whenever I can. I did in the 50s, and 60s what these guys are talking about and doing today. I've even driven Lowenbrau No. 14..Al Holberts 962 (about 200 feet). That, and my marriage to "IndyCindy" were the highlights of my life! So I enjoy the informality of this Forum. Like I said, Duane, Mike, Ryan, and what's his name, oh yeah, Darren, are great guys to hang out with on 6speed. There is no stoginess, autocracy or "holier than thou" attitude on this Forum...just a lot of fun communicating. But that's just one mans opinion!

Old 07-24-2003, 09:45 AM
Paulsha911 is on a distinguished road
I have exchanged a few PMs with Darren, in a civil way. It's water under the bridge (for me at least). Let's not stir the pot further and get back to cars.

My company is not doing well so I don't have time to browse two forums. So, I will be over "there" most of the time. Just sad to see the traffic spilt up, that's all.

On the censorship, I think it's great if you guys build on the lessons learned. But to give the other board the credit, they are the pioneer and they are ran by volunteers. Each board needs to learn a few lessons here and there and grow.

In any case, good luck.

Paulsha911

Old 07-24-2003, 11:30 AM
doncapecod
Paul, you're setup so I can't send you a PM, but I wasn't trying to belabor a point, or "fan the flames. The thread began with John S, Buffy, Rob, RedHummer, and Lahight asking questions. I was also responding to your comment about "a post from the board owner" which IMHO was similar to some posts from CFG.

I have not started any thread about this issue, just responded to others who have asked.

I see that you've been made a moderator over there, so that's where you should spend your time...seriously. Also I'm sorry to hear about your business being slow. I can recall, that and it is no fun and very stressful. I finally had to sell mine and retire early. That's what led to my stroke. So, good best of luck on business improvement as well. Take care of yourself! Don

Old 07-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Valgus is on a distinguished road
Don, perhaps you have never seen other forums on the internet that have the same "anything goes" philosophy. For some reason there are quite a few pertaining to the BMW 3-Series....honestly its like being in a zoo. I am of the mindset that its ok to remove inappropriate comments or pictures in order to make the enviroment more comfortable for the majority. If this new forum is marketing itself as "anything goes", well then thats what we will eventually start seeing here. After the initial spike in popularity, this place will start attracting the retards that typically like to infest forums with B.S. comments. One thing that can be said about CFG's forum is that it is run quite professionally and the postings are of a very high quality. Lets see if the same can be said about this place after 4yrs.

I personally think its sad that this small community of high quality "posters" has been split. Don, I hope that this doesn't go back to the whole business of the problem you were having over your avatar....that would be sad.

Old 07-24-2003, 02:56 PM
doncapecod
Valgus, I didn't mean to imply that "anything goes" on this Board because I'm not financially involved, but that doesn't mean that we can't have a little fun in the process. Personally, I think John Dunkle has the right idea. He's got an "off topic" section that gets pretty funky at times. It's like when you want to blow off a little steam and you turn to the "community" to do so. Being "**** retentive" about your car(s) gets pretty boring. It's a strange thing. Someone can spout off about something and the next day answer a very technically detailed question about racing, mods, or whatever, and I just believe that this list willl provide both while "funcars" (maybe a misnomer) stays pretty straight. IOW, I think we'll get the same benefit from 6speed and have a little fun at the same time. It's possible to do both.

I've not been on any of the ofher lists 'cause I've only owned Benz and Porsches, so I don't know how the BMW or Vette folks behave to name just 2.

Oh well, isn't diversity wonderful!
PS: Remember all the "war bashing" that CFG allowed when he set up his "war board?" That worked ok during the war and it let folks let off some steam.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:48 AM
John S is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by doncapecod
Paul, you're setup so I can't send you a PM, but I wasn't trying to belabor a point, or "fan the flames. The thread began with John S....... Don
I agree with Don 100%. He was just responding to my question. Converesly, I don't think it inappropriate to ask "What happened?" I believe most of our community would like to have at least some basic information on the topic so they can make a more informed decision on which (or both) forums they would like to participate in the future.

Personally, I have been disappointed in the past when CFG has ignored my private messages and posts requesting a little more information on a topic he posted-arrogance or "just busy" I don't know, but the end result felt the same.

Best regards,

John