996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

the mystery of no fuel no spark still going

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:02 PM
freezing14 is on a distinguished road
the mystery of no fuel no spark still going

bought a durametrics, to leaned that there is no code ,, wow thats 300$ well spent !! done with the venting , i did learn a few things with it

i can activate the fuel pump and it work
i tested the immobilizer by taking the pill of the key and trying to start ( nothing at all), then put it back in and it turns over ( and gave me an error code) but still no fuel no spark

crank angle sensor was replaced , no difference

i tried to see direct reading from the engine for 2 parameter, RPM and % ign and when the durametric is activated for the engine, it wont turn over!!!! have you seen this

the other thing i have noticed is that the ign% stays at 78 degrees no matter what

i have read the voltage of the wires of the cas and i get 5V between the brown and red/ violet
12V between the brown and the red green
and 7.4V between the 2 reds,, has anyone ever did that test

any help with this mystery would be greatly apreciated

Old 07-05-2012, 04:21 AM
stephan_porsche will become famous soon enough
What was the problem to begin with??? Did you swap engines, rebuild it, or did it just stop working one day? Need the whole history...

Old 07-05-2012, 06:10 AM
bought the car as a project , engine had blown big end bearing but was apparently still running , but when i got it , the engine and tranny were out of the car and upon tear down , the big end was f....

its now fully rebuilt , upon installing it , i figured , lets try to see if it will at least fire for a second before i put the rest of the stuff( headers, muffler, bumper etc) back in

but no fuel ( the lines are disconnected at that point) then checked for spark , nothing, then the message up top

i keep thinking it has to do with the crank angle sensor but i am not sure ,
the one thing i notice , the previous owner has a used flywheel( yellow paint mark) could they have gotten a wrong one that would fit the engine ,, can a 986 or 993 flywheel fit but have the teeth too far or not in the same sequence ( will take it out tonight and see the number on it

thanks in advance

Old 07-05-2012, 06:38 AM
stephan_porsche will become famous soon enough
Speaking from being a Porsche/VW/Audi Technician for over 7 years, you need to start verifying issues. You say you have no fuel, so first take a DVOM and goto the fuel pump and see if your getting Voltage (is the fuel pump kicking but no fuel?) Once you verify your fuel pump is receiving 12V+ then you ruled that out. Also check for voltage at the Coil Packs or pull one out with a spark plug, ground it out and visually check for spark.

Once you verify Fuel and Ignition then we know the direction of what else to check.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:20 PM
as stated in the fist post , the fuel pump can be engage by either grounding the relay or using the direct control of the durametrics to activate it and it spew gas , so i have confirmed that the relay is good and the the ECM will activate it

i have also remove the coil packs and and grounded the plugs to see , i have taken 3 coil packs and the respective plugs to make sure it was not a single coil or something similar

i have check continuity on the crank angle sensor wiring up to the engine connector

since you have the experience of lots of porsches , the wiring diagram show 2 hall sensor and one engine speed sensor , i assum the 2 halls are the cam and the other for the crank but the wiring diagram show crank sensor wired as a cam

any idea ? , can you physically mount a 986 flywheel on a 996engine , i know its not gonna work , but why , outside physical dimension or the reluctur ring are different ?

thanks in advance

Old 07-05-2012, 04:03 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
I remember reading a similar thread somewhere and the cause was that the airbag was disconnected. A safety feature shuts off the fuel during an accident.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:44 PM
i have seen the thread before but its not that, i dont have any air bags light on and the durametrics does not show any air bag error

would some sort of safe mode cause that

Old 07-05-2012, 08:57 PM
mystery solved

as it turns out , it the first time i ever see this on a german car, the electrical connector are set so that they cannot be mixed , but i was wrong , the whole engine harness was taken out so its a little bit more involved then just swaping one sensor

have a look at the picture , which one is right ?

Attached Images   
Old 07-06-2012, 05:36 AM
rb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to beholdrb101 is a splendid one to behold
per the 99 wiring it should be white and brown wires.