996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Your help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 PM
coolhandluke is on a distinguished road
Your help needed

Hello All
I bought 2000 Porsche 996 Carrera Cab. with 155K, The car has been sitting in Garage for couple year. Bought the car, it would not turn over, charged battery and nothing , just click click, battery holding charge, anyway took belt off and tired again it started, noticed the alternator was not turning over smoothly, I think it need to be replaced. Anyway , I tired to start the car , the car started with no problem , but it has some sort of sound coming from engine. Drained the oil and no shaving and did cut the oil filter again no shaving. so I am not sure were noise coming from?
here is the link for youtube.
So my thought are
1) it could be IMS? or Valve stuck? or one of piston slapping around? or????
2) When I put the belt on again click click the engine wont turn over, so I think... I know without belt the engine runs.. not very well but , with belt it does not!!!
I really don't want to replace the engine unless I have too.. any input it would much appropriated. Thank you.

Last edited by coolhandluke; 10-19-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:45 PM
kromdom is on a distinguished road
Just to clarify: you knowingly bought a NON-running car that had sat in the garage for a long time? If YES, what information did the seller disclose to you (e.g. REASON why the car sat for an extended period of time).

Continously trying to start/run the engine with SOME SORT OF SOUND from the engine might only add insult to injury. Any CEL/codes? Were you able to inspect the car prior to purchase?

Welcome and best of luck.

Last edited by kromdom; 10-19-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 PM
coolhandluke is on a distinguished road
thank you for the info, yes , I did know it sat for long while, well the Pr owner , told one day after he drove the car home and parked in his garage, the next day he could not start it, towed to local dealer they told the engine is Seized and he need new engine!!!! he decided to towed back home, then he parked in garage, I guess after looking long and hard he decided to sell it, which I bought, as soon as I took the belt off , I hand cracked, engine was moving with no biding, then start the car, the car runs good and no code or check engine light, trying to figure my options.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:56 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
You can tell only so much by listening to a video sounds like metalic noise valve,piston etc so if your not real familiar with the mechanicals of a motor I would find good indy shop.I would not keep running it as could cause more damage.Hope its something simple/good luck.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:30 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck. I would find a great mechanic and start with a good evaluation. Since you purchased a non-running vehicle (one that's expensive to work on when it's running great), hopefully you have tools, expertise, a mechanic or great luck with your purchase. I would never let the engine run with any noise emanating from it.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
I hope you got a stunning deal on this car.

My first question is how mechanically inclined are you?

I don't think it's IMS, as you don't normally get more than a few seconds of warning before it goes.

Rubber seals and what not will likely have dried out, and possibly cracked while the car was sitting. Does it burn an excessive amount of oil?

As rmc1148 says, you really can't tell a lot from a video. Could be loud tappets, could be exhaust rattle, could be a loose timing chain, who knows.

I would be more concerned about what the P.O. *didn't* tell you. The engine is obviously not seized and I'm somewhat skeptical that any garage would tell him that it was (completely incompetent or highly unethical). So why did he take it off the road really?

In the end, I concur with the others - put it on a flatbed, have it taken to reputable mechanic that deals with P-cars (obviously *not* the mechanic that diagnosed the so-called seized engine) and have them do a *thorough* inspection. Then be prepared for expensive news.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Well, as expressed it's hard to tell from a video. But it sounds like either a lifter or cam not functioning correctly. Couple of things I would do, first off do an oil change, and see if that helps, second add fresh gas, and see if that helps.
A car that has been sitting for long perioda without running will need ALL fluids changed as water will accumulate in the brake fluid and oil.

If the noise is coming from the top of the engine it's the valves and that means bad oil pressure and/or not enough oil. Also, if the noise varies with engine speed it's coming from the engine, if it does not vary with speed it's coming from something else, but from the video it sound like the engine and the valves.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Did some quick research and it sounds like it's bad lifters and rocker arms, and you could also have warped valve guides. I would have an indy check it.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
Well, as expressed it's hard to tell from a video. But it sounds like either a lifter or cam not functioning correctly. Couple of things I would do, first off do an oil change, and see if that helps, second add fresh gas, and see if that helps.
This. I would try the simple stuff first. One time I had the same situation after letting my car sit for a long time. I nearly crapped myself when I heard it. Also sometimes the lifters on these cars don't "unstick" themselves for awhile. In my case, it was having to run the engine for 10 min or so until the lifters started to function normally again.

Also, the belt tensioners on these cars are one of the best as seized alternator also prevents the motor from turning. This has happened a few times now with the avg owner thinking and misdiagnosing the engine as being seized when in reality, it is sometimes the alternator.

Report back on what you find

Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
This. I would try the simple stuff first. One time I had the same situation after letting my car sit for a long time. I nearly crapped myself when I heard it. Also sometimes the lifters on these cars don't "unstick" themselves for awhile. In my case, it was having to run the engine for 10 min or so until the lifters started to function normally again.

Also, the belt tensioners on these cars are one of the best as seized alternator also prevents the motor from turning. This has happened a few times now with the avg owner thinking and misdiagnosing the engine as being seized when in reality, it is sometimes the alternator.

Report back on what you find
Yeah, you want to eliminate things one at a time. So, you know first off the alternator needs replacement. Again, I'd put in some 0-40 oil and let it run for a bit as a first order and put in fresh gas.

You know, I listened to it again, I'm going to go home after work and listen to mine, you may not have a problem other than the car having sat for so long, but you still need to replace the alt.

Last edited by FLA996TT; 10-22-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Well, I have played, and played the vidio, and I am not convinced their is a problen with the engine. Change the oil and alt and lets hear her again.

Give us more specs.. miles, condition, PICS, we can help.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 PM
kromdom is on a distinguished road
OP just posted in another forum: problem fixed for $170 (price of a new alternator, old one seized). Sounds like he snagged this 996 for DIRT CHEAP since PO sold it after it was originally diagnosed by the dealer as needing a new engine.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:43 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Isnt the belt off in video my eyes are not the best lol.