996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Valentine 1 Install Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:01 AM
Poursha is on a distinguished road
Valentine 1 Install Question

I'm going to hardwire the Valentine 1 and the remote display in my Carrera coupe today, and am wondering if anybody who had done the install on a coupe has pictures or can describe how to hide the wire down the a-pillar and get it under the dash, and run it to the center console for power. Do you have to remove the a-pillar cover (and, if so, how)? I've seen a few of DIY sites for the install, but they gloss over this part of the install. Any other tips also appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-29-2003, 09:12 AM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is on a distinguished road
I just pushed the wire under the pillar with a soft plastic spatula being careful not to crimp the wire or damage any thing. It worked for me...

Old 10-29-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Gary (Fl)
I just pushed the wire under the pillar with a soft plastic spatula being careful not to crimp the wire or damage any thing. It worked for me...
I figured I could do that along the a-pillar, between the interior trim and the windshield, but then when you get to the bottom of the a-pillar (by the dash), what do you do?

Old 10-29-2003, 10:17 AM
tsweat is on a distinguished road
Poursha-

I did the same as Gary, (mine is a cab). I ran the wires down the left hand side and it worked great. Once I got down to the dash, I was able to continue hiding it under the dash in the small space between the pillar and the dash. Then I removed the two torx screws from the left-hand A/C pod/vent (but did not remove the vent) to loosen it up a bit. Once this was done, I was able to slide the wire behind it as well.

Once all this was done, I removed the cover to the fuse panel and found a empty slot (my cab does not have heated seats, so I choose that slot) and was able to use it for the power to the V1. Then I found a good wire to splice into as the ground and was in business.

**FYI, in some spots (i.e. A/C pod & where the pillar meets the dash) -- it helped to take wire and grab both ends of the wire where it needed to slide in and move it in a "saw-like" motion to help it slide in the crevice. Also, I had trouble with my wire wanting to stay tucked in while running along the horizontal portion on the windsheild. I read on another post somewhere that they used a scrap piece of electrical tape and pushed it up in there with the wire. This worked great for me as well....

Good Luck....

Tim

Old 10-29-2003, 11:23 AM
Porsche Chick
RobynC will become famous soon enoughRobynC will become famous soon enough
Here is a picture of the wire, courtesy of Tom in Sunol

I went down the passenger side and loosened the torx screw at the dash there, no need to remove, it was enought to wedge the v1 cord down and out of sight. I 'll be doing this at my house on the 8th of November with a few other mods (Short shifter) with a group of Bay area people (We'll be doing oil changes and a brake job), you are welcomed to join us Poursha. I haven't pulled the center console piece off yet, I can't remember the color of the wire to tap into (I did this ages ago on my Boxster, I'm gettin' old CRS syndrome applies).

Robyn

Last edited by RobynC; 10-29-2003 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:04 PM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Poursha
I figured I could do that along the a-pillar, between the interior trim and the windshield, but then when you get to the bottom of the a-pillar (by the dash), what do you do?
Mine was done just like Robyn down the passenger side. The only difference is that I just stripped the wire and doubled it up and pushed it into the harness in the appropriate slot and taped it in with electrical tape.

Old 10-29-2003, 01:52 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC is on a distinguished road
RobynC/Poursha,
The wire you are looking to tap into is the green and white striped wire.

Old 10-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Got it installed. Used Rob in WA's recommendation for hanging it using the sun visor clip, inserting it between the headliner support and the windshield--very sturdy, and you don't have the suction cup marks on the windshield, so you can't see it unless you're almost right up against the windshield. I had it installed to the right of the rear view mirror, since I couldn't get the driver's visor further forward than 90 degrees from the roof when it was on the left side of the mirror. With the concealed display installed on top of the steering wheel housing, there's no need to have it right above your head.

I ended up having it installed by Erick at Custom Exotica in Mountain View (I remember Paulsha having it done there). They charged me $50, which was too good to pass up. Great install, no interior trim panels removed (except, of course, fuse panel surround, where they spliced into the power). Highly recommended.
Thanks to all for your responses.

Last edited by Poursha; 10-29-2003 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:10 PM
02TT_87GNX is on a distinguished road
I used the ultra thin phone cord from Ace hardware, slips behind the trim more easily. For areas where it was loose, I reverse wrapped electrical tape then tucked it behind the trim.

Old 10-31-2003, 09:54 AM
2kuhl is on a distinguished road
I did hardwire connection down the passenger side like described above. Tapped into the factory phone connection. I pulled the lower center console shelf out and drilled a hole in the back. Pulled the remote display cord through the hole and mounted with velcro to bottom side of shelf. This way, the remote display is shrouded in the shelf (set back in about 1 inch) and the mute button is directly in front of my hand when on the shift ****. Real convenient to mute and easier to see the display in the daylight. Never could figure out how to access mute button when unit is in front of steering wheel without reaching through the wheel.