996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Diemsea
PFBZ -- great post! I'm looking to buy a 996 and plan to make this mod as I'm a bit of a tech guy. Question -- I'd ideally like to operate the iPad Mini without using the cellular connection and paying for a data plan. Shouldn't be a problem for music as I can sync in the garage but I'd still like turn by turn navigation. Does your Nav program allow you to download the maps so that it works without internet access? Any other comments/thoughts on using the iPad Mini without an internet connection while driving? Thx.
The iPad is definitely usable without an internet connection, and there are several GPS/Navigation apps available that allow you to download the map info rather than requiring a live data connection.

But imho, that kind of defeat the purpose... Being internet connected is far and away the biggest plus of having the iPad in my vehicles. It is annoying to pay for multiple data accounts... iPhone, iPad in 996, iPad in F150, but still worth it. You can sometimes save a bit by using a shared data plan, or jailbreak/tether to your phone data plan, but I just suck it up and AT&T for each iPad just for the convenience.

Also, *definitely* purchase an LTE iPad, even if you don't intend on using a data plan. Only the LTE versions have the GPS chips in them.

One last thought... if you have an iPad, a data service, and a skype account, you can also use it as a mobile phone if your primary phone is ever out of commission (or you want to make otherwise expensive overseas calls)

Picture below shows Pandora, streaming through the iPad into the Pioneer head unit, and a skype dial screen with the PodCar interface.

Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Diemsea is on a distinguished road
I'll get the LTE iPad Mini. I believe AT&T doesn't require any type of contract for iPads -- you can turn on LTE for a month and then just turn it off the next - is that right? I just don't like the idea of being tied to a contract for my audio/nav system.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:52 AM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
I'll get the LTE iPad Mini. I believe AT&T doesn't require any type of contract for iPads -- you can turn on LTE for a month and then just turn it off the next - is that right? I just don't like the idea of being tied to a contract for my audio/nav system.
Yes... AT&T data plans are month-to-month, but are also auto-renew each month.

In typical AT&T fashion, You can choose:
  • $0, no data (but you can still connect via wifi or tether)
  • $15 for a ridiculously low 256MB of LTE data
  • $30 for more than you will likely need unless downloading video 3GB of LTE data.
  • If you already have an ATT phone with a data plan, you also potentially add the iPad for $10.

In more AT&T bizzare-ness, if I add an additional iPad to my existing AT&T account, they charge a $30 activation fee. If I set up a new account through the iPad (which requires a second email address), no activation fee. Way to reward your customers!

Last edited by pfbz; 02-28-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Love what you did, amazing!!!!! Great job....

Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
If you have an android phone or jail broken iPhone, you can always make that a hotspot and tether off that via wifi or bluetooth.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by pfbz
Yes... AT&T data plans are month-to-month, but are also auto-renew each month.

In typical AT&T fashion, You can choose:
  • $0, no data (but you can still connect via wifi or tether)
  • $15 for a ridiculously low 256MB of LTE data
  • $30 for more than you will likely need unless downloading video 3GB of LTE data.
  • If you already have an ATT phone with a data plan, you also potentially add the iPad for $10.

In more AT&T bizzare-ness, if I add an additional iPad to my existing AT&T account, they charge a $30 activation fee. If I set up a new account through the iPad (which requires a second email address), no activation fee. Way to reward your customers!
What size iPad did you go with? 16 GB or 32 GB?

Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
What size iPad did you go with? 16 GB or 32 GB?
The mini is 32GB, but there isn't a ton of space needed for an in-car iPad. Really just the applications themselves (small), whatever local music I want, and some downloaded map segments. I don't see myself putting much video or large photo libraries on the integrated mini.

Today was really my first day with lots of use with the new setup. Worked brilliantly... Turning the key and having it automatically stream pandora through the stereo is fantastic... No button presses, swipes, connects or anything else. Another Cydia tweak provides unlimited Pandora skips and no commercials. Perfect!

GPS signal with the unit in the dash is super strong, great signal lock and high accuracy. Harrys lap timer has a cool data screen that shows lat/lon, altitude, speed, compass, heading, lateral and fore/aft G's, etc that is cool to look at and also gives all the GPS strength and bandwidth data.

Visibility is great, easy to reach/control. If an application has a particularly small font it can be hard to read at a glance, but very few apps that I would ever use in the car are an issue.

I also tested wifi tethering against my iPhone. With LTE turned off on the iPad and cydia wifi hotspot enabled on the iPhone, everything works great. It doesn't always reconnect automatically, a bit of a hassle. Not as seamless as LTE, but you can save a few bucks a month if you wat.

Overall, super pleased. Need to set up a few more Pandora radio stations and I'm done!

Last edited by pfbz; 03-02-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
Are you controlling the playlist on the iPad or the head unit? I'd prefer to operate via the mini but wouldn't connecting the iPad with the USB give control to the headunit?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Whereitsat
Are you controlling the playlist on the iPad or the head unit? I'd prefer to operate via the mini but wouldn't connecting the iPad with the USB give control to the headunit?
I can use either the iPad or the head unit to control streaming and local music playback. Often the iPad is switched over to GPS/Nav mode and it is easier to control the music with the head unit, but I can also use coverflow and almost all other iPad apps to directly control the music.

The only music source that the Pioneer head unit is 'grabby' with is Pandora. Pandora/Pioneer have really tight integration and the pandora app itself likes to give away all control. You can disable it, but it actually is pretty nice. I use the tightly integrated Pandora if I want to control streaming music with the Pioneer radio (or just have endless commercial-free music without thinking about it too much), and if I want more precise control of my streaming music selections through the iPad, I use slacker radio instead.

With cydia hacks to auto lock/unlock the ipad and to remove ads and skip limits from Pandora, it really works out great. Turn on the car, and pandora starts streaming. If I don't like the song, I can hit skip, and I'm on to a new one. I don't like the station, I can change the station using presets just like I was changing FM radio stations... meanwhile, cydia tweaks have automatically launched WAZE for traffic/cops/maps. It's the perfect default environment for me, and all without a single button press or finger swipe.

Last edited by pfbz; 03-04-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 AM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
That's great. On my X5, the head unit takes control of my iPhone and iPod. The difference e il have is that the 2001 trim is actually three pieces. I wonder if the 2002 and later fits?

I like your setup and am copying it.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Whereitsat
That's great. On my X5, the head unit takes control of my iPhone and iPod. The difference e il have is that the 2001 trim is actually three pieces. I wonder if the 2002 and later fits?

I like your setup and am copying it.
  1. Try using the cydia 'nosplash' tweak to stop your iPod/iphone from going into accessory mode when connected to your X5 head unit.
  2. I think it might actually be easier to fit the iPad with the earlier 3-piece horseshoe bezel, but of course haven't tried it... I think you could also swap in the later style parts, but it probably is more than just the bezel.
  3. Thanks!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
looks great, nice write up

Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Aright I took the plunge thanks to pfbz! I am running mine through the stock Bose system using a Sosche IPRDS. I was also able to retain my cup holder function by trimming the lower support bracket about an eighth of an inch. I relocated the Bose system to the lower center console. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. The Sosche IPRDS charges the IPad Mini with no problems. The IPRDS displays the name of the song on the radio and dash displays. The Mini cuts on with the turn of the key. I decided to go with a 32GB LTE IPad Mini and connect it to a 32 GB WI Drive that will give me 64 GB of storage for music, etc... I also have a Go Point BT1 Bluetooth dongle connected to the OBDII port. Works great with Harry's Laptimer and also has a cool diagnostics dash board. For tunes I have Pandora, IHeart Radio and XM Sirus Apps plus my ITunes library. For navigation I'm using TomTom and built in Apple Maps.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Diemsea is on a distinguished road
pfbz -- I noticed you have the iPad Mini "home" button on the right side. Curious about the decision to put on right vs left? Can it be installed either way? Any particular reason you put it on the right?

Slopeslider2 -- I'm looking forward to some pics of your install.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 AM
pfbz -- I noticed you have the iPad Mini "home" button on the right side. Curious about the decision to put on right vs left? Can it be installed either way? Any particular reason you put it on the right?

Slopeslider2 -- I'm looking forward to some pics of your install.
I have mine on the left. The two dummy switches on the left of the horse shoe gave me the space I needed to route the lightening plug. I haven't tested it but I believe it would also position the camera better if you wanted to face time or use with HLT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]