996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
Any ideas? Am I missing something rather simple?

Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Diesel117
The screen goes black but all my music apps keep playing music. iTunes keeps playing music in sleep mode by default so I thought this was normal.
Correction... I am using 'Lock', not 'Sleep' in activator. I'm not sure if there is a difference, but give it a try.

This is how I have activator set up:
  • Anywhere -> Power Connected -> Unlock Device
  • Anywhere -> Power Disconnected -> Lock Device

Also, how are you connecting to the car system for the audio feed? Headphone jack rather than USB? If so, that might be the problem.
More details on your setup would help.

Last edited by pfbz; 05-28-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by pfbz
Correction... I am using 'Lock', not 'Sleep' in activator. I'm not sure if there is a difference, but give it a try.

This is how I have activator set up:
  • Anywhere -> Power Connected -> Unlock Device
  • Anywhere -> Power Disconnected -> Lock Device

Also, how are you connecting to the car system for the audio feed? Headphone jack rather than USB? If so, that might be the problem.
More details on your setup would help.

I have bought the same Pioneer you did but have not installed it yet. I am testing the iPad mini off of the USB charger to the wall it came with.

I just got it to work by trying Anywhere -> Power Disconnected -> Respring. But that is not ideal.

I confirmed with Apple that iTunes is suppose to keep playing in sleep mode. I will keep searching jailbreak tweeks and I will try more settings in the iPad too.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:03 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Diesel117
I have bought the same Pioneer you did but have not installed it yet. I am testing the iPad mini off of the USB charger to the wall it came with.

I just got it to work by trying Anywhere -> Power Disconnected -> Respring. But that is not ideal.

I confirmed with Apple that iTunes is suppose to keep playing in sleep mode. I will keep searching jailbreak tweeks and I will try more settings in the iPad too.
I think you might be trying to solve a problem that won't exist once you fully install the system. Pretty sure your issue has nothing to do with Activator or any jailbreak tweaks...

Even on a non-jailbroken, 100% OEM iPad, if you are playing music through the USB interface and remove the cable, the music pauses. Then restarts where it left off when the USB audio connection is reestablished. It does not keep playing through the no-longer-existing USB interface or switch to internal speakers. If you are playing music through the internal speakers or headphones rather than the USB, then the apps ignore the power-only cable disconnect and keeps playing.

On my system, the iPad stops playing Pandora, iTunes, and any other music or video app upon USB power off, but I realize now it's not Activator locking the device thats pausing the music; It's the negotiated USB audio data link being broken when I turn off the radio. And it works like that even without jailbreaking and installing activator.

Try testing with the Pioneer or any other music device that connects digitally to the iPad though the USB interface. Not only should Pandora and iTunes stop playing upon USB disconnect, but they will resume exactly where they left off on unlock/reconnect.

Last edited by pfbz; 05-28-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Sethamillion is on a distinguished road
Diesel117 and pfbz. I can shine light on this subject. I have not installed my iPad mini in my Boxster yet but I've been playing around with it awhile now.

The reason it all works so well for pfbz is because his iPad mini is plugged into his aftermarket head unit. That unit is designed to work with and control the iPods/iPads/iPhones. So when it powers down, it actually has the ability to pause the music/pandora/Internet radio/podcasts. Whatever is playing.

Diesel117. When you unplug your iPad from just a standard power source, it keeps playing music or whatever because that is how it is designed. Without an iDevice controlling head unit, you will need more than just the Activator tweak to get the result you're looking for.

You ready? Here's the answer to the problem.

1. Set the "ACTIVATOR" tweak to "Pause" iPod when disconnected and "Play" iPod when connected.

2. Use the "PLUGGED IN" tweak to "lock device" when unplugged and to "unlock" when plugged in.

This should work for anyone not using a head unit that will control the iPod playback.

Also, I like to use Activator to lock the iPad with a double tap of the home button. This way you won't ever need to access the the lock button once it is hidden.

I plan to use these settings, a dedicated ignition power source for fast charging, the IPFMRDS that Slopeslider used and keep the factory head unit. Just my preference to keep it all looking as factory as possible.

One more thing.. For some reason the YouTube app doesn't allow you to adjust volume. The "TubePlayer" app does. Which is handy because your volume buttons will be out of reach as well.

Last edited by Sethamillion; 06-01-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:02 AM
gottspd has a spectacular aura aboutgottspd has a spectacular aura about
I have an older alpine slide out screen HU. It would end up being a lot of work to convert to this but it is tempting because it just looks so cool. One thing I added to the alpine was a backup camera. Any thoughts re doing that with your setup?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 AM
mike3770 is on a distinguished road
Completed with Bose Amp....

As part of a total upgrade to my 996 interior, I just completed this upgrade though I'm a little disappointed that Apple released a software update to my iPad and I cannot Jailbreak the unit. Not a huge deal as it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference other than power up/down. I decided to go with a Kenwood Head Unit, Model KDC-BT955HD as my research indicated a better sounding pre-amp and easier navigation. It had the ample USB power as well, so no issue there. Also, the rear usb cable on the unit so I was able to thread that wire closer to the trim for easier access to the lightning cable. My system has the upgraded Bose Amplifier and speakers and I was able to source the harnesses I needed from Jay at discountcarstereo.com. He is outstanding and knows his stuff. I intially purchased PN: HRC-POR which was the interface cable for the Amp, but somehow it wasn't feeding the sound to the speakers (though I could hear the amp click on) and had to add the BHA1784B speaker harness. It all came together extremely well and easy thanks to finding this post and everyone's hints - thank you!

Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mike3770
As part of a total upgrade to my 996 interior, I just completed this upgrade though I'm a little disappointed that Apple released a software update to my iPad and I cannot Jailbreak the unit. Not a huge deal as it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference other than power up/down. I decided to go with a Kenwood Head Unit, Model KDC-BT955HD as my research indicated a better sounding pre-amp and easier navigation. It had the ample USB power as well, so no issue there. Also, the rear usb cable on the unit so I was able to thread that wire closer to the trim for easier access to the lightning cable. My system has the upgraded Bose Amplifier and speakers and I was able to source the harnesses I needed from Jay at discountcarstereo.com. He is outstanding and knows his stuff. I intially purchased PN: HRC-POR which was the interface cable for the Amp, but somehow it wasn't feeding the sound to the speakers (though I could hear the amp click on) and had to add the BHA1784B speaker harness. It all came together extremely well and easy thanks to finding this post and everyone's hints - thank you!

Mike,

Your install looks great. Were you able to keep your Bose amp with the Kenwood head? I have the CDR-23 Bose Most and was always under the impression that one would have to replace the Bose AMP when replacing the head unit.

Last edited by Slopeslider2; 06-27-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
Mike,

Your install looks great. Were you able to keep your Bose amp with the Kenwood head? I was always under the impression that one would have to replace the Bose AMP when replacing the head unit.
Hi Rob!
Thanks for the note and compliment. Yes, I was able to keep the Bose Amp with the Kenwood Head Unit. Jay at discountcarstereo.com had virtually every harness solution required for the Becker head units. It works and sounds really great!
Mike

Old 06-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Hi Rob!
Thanks for the note and compliment. Yes, I was able to keep the Bose Amp with the Kenwood Head Unit. Jay at discountcarstereo.com had virtually every harness solution required for the Becker head units. It works and sounds really great!
Mike
Mike,

That is awesome! I would like to learn about what you did to accomplish this. I would like to change my head unit if I didn't have to change the amp so that I could have bluetooth for my phone calls.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
Mike,

That is awesome! I would like to learn about what you did to accomplish this. I would like to change my head unit if I didn't have to change the amp so that I could have bluetooth for my phone calls.
Yeah it's really great this way. My car had the CDR-220 head unit which has 3 sets of harness plugs on the back. Below is jpg of the connectors and what they are used for. The only one that controls the AMP is the yellow connector. It's a bit misleading as one would think you would just need power and the yellow harness to get it to work, but somehow you also need the speaker harness as well. I was thinking the amp and sub wouldn't work, but they do. Jay at discountstereo.com said he had never seen one behave this way - lucky me! I no longer have use of the CD changer, no love lost, I don't have any CD's anymore and why would I need them with the iPad anyway.

Mike

Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Mike that turned out great, the transformation really updates the interior.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
super bummed about the jailbreak issue with the mini now. not sure what path to take anymore.

whats the main difference between the cdr23 and the 220? does the cdr23 have the same plug setup in the back?

Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
super bummed about the jailbreak issue with the mini now. not sure what path to take anymore.

whats the main difference between the cdr23 and the 220? does the cdr23 have the same plug setup in the back?
You can jailbreak up to OS 6.2. If you update to 6.3 you can install an older version and then jailbreak. It will take some research and some work. Basically, you download and save an older version (say 6.1) and then restore to it. Then jailbreak.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Yeah it's really great this way. My car had the CDR-220 head unit which has 3 sets of harness plugs on the back. Below is jpg of the connectors and what they are used for. The only one that controls the AMP is the yellow connector. It's a bit misleading as one would think you would just need power and the yellow harness to get it to work, but somehow you also need the speaker harness as well. I was thinking the amp and sub wouldn't work, but they do. Jay at discountstereo.com said he had never seen one behave this way - lucky me! I no longer have use of the CD changer, no love lost, I don't have any CD's anymore and why would I need them with the iPad anyway.

Mike
I too have the Bose amp, CD changer, etc. (with CDR-220). I ended up getting both the Metra 70-1784 and the Metra 70-1787 Wire Harness. My problem was two things. 1. I came across lot of posts where people said you have to use RCA's to wire to the amp. 2. Everything in the yellow C1 is for the CD changer so I assumed the +12V switched (C1 slot 6) was too. Nope. I finally came across a very detailed wiring diagram (on renntech I think) that properly identified that C1 slot 6 as the +12V switched for the "AMP".

In the end, the Metra 70-1787 Wire Harness was the right one for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]