996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Redshift
I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan. Do they even let you add a mini to that plan at $10/mo?
I was also but ended up going to a family share plan beause my son wasn't and the overages were killing me. I got 6 GB of data and added the iPad and it should still be less than the data overages I was paying.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:26 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Slopeslider2
i noticed that he battery drained down to 79% over night. When I cut the data off I had little to no drain.
The iPad has several places were you have to shut off things like automatic updates, icloud backup, etc. even when the device is 'sleeping'. Might check and see if they are all off...

A couple of better pictures of my final install. Get in, turn the key, pandora starts streaming. Absolutely no buttons to press or changes to be made, unless of course I want a different pandora station, or my local ipad music, or slacker, or ....

Pandora station displayed on Pioneer head unit, as well as song.

Off.

On.

The two little round buttons below the hvac control, next to seat heater switches are my garage door / gate opener hack, still in progress.

Attached Images   

Last edited by pfbz; 03-21-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Slopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura aboutSlopeslider2 has a spectacular aura about
Looks great!

Old 03-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Put together a quick video on my install

Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
Great video!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 PM
krazyman is on a distinguished road
Beautiful install! One question how is the ipad physically mounted? Is it just an interference fit into the horseshoe? How do you remove it if you need too?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by krazyman
Beautiful install! One question how is the ipad physically mounted? Is it just an interference fit into the horseshoe? How do you remove it if you need too?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff it fits between the horseshoe and the mounting bracket for the radio and ac controls. Pfbz has a great step by step in te begging of the thread. To remove simply pull off the horseshoe. Takes two seconds.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Yup. Just sandwiched between the (modified) front horseshoe bezel and the rear radio support bracket. Very secure, and those porsche clips that attach the bezel both hold tight and release relatively easily with the right tool...

It's not easy enough that you'd remove the iPad every time you park, but if you need to do some upgrades or something, just a few minutes to have it out.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 AM
krazyman is on a distinguished road
Ah, got it. Thanks!

Right tool??? I think last time I did that I just used a screwdriver, carefully. Do you have a trim tool you'd recommend?

After looking at everything, I think I am going to try and install a Nexus 7 this summer. We're an Android household, so I'd like to keep it that way if possible.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by krazyman
Ah, got it. Thanks!

Right tool??? I think last time I did that I just used a screwdriver, carefully. Do you have a trim tool you'd recommend?

After looking at everything, I think I am going to try and install a Nexus 7 this summer. We're an Android household, so I'd like to keep it that way if possible.
I use my fingers and pull from the top and work my way down.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 AM
You can use a screwdriver (carefully), your fingers, a plastic spatula, or whatever, but a set of nylon pry tools is really nice especially with the Porsche, which uses spring-clip fittings everywhere...

Fairly inexpensive. Bojo trim tools are excellent, but even the $5 harbor freight set is far better than using a screwdriver.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20820.jpg
Views:	4096
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	226752  
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
What are your thoughts on the iPad mini vs the new Alpine 8" screen?

Old 04-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
PFBZ,

When will the headunit switch automatically between the iPad and iPhone (Bluetooth) when a call comes in? When the conversation ends does it revert back to the iPad?

Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm gathering the items to get this done. I currently have a 2din Nav in the upper on sole and an open pocket above the HVAC controls in the lower console. What do I need to install a radio in the open pocket?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Diesel117 is on a distinguished road
pfbz, Can you post the link or source to the wallpaper in your first photo?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: iPad Mini in-dash install [996 MkII]