996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

tarrett engineering front monoball camber plate help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 06:29 AM
33jacket is on a distinguished road
tarrett engineering front monoball camber plate help

I bought these, and they are installed on my 996; first its a nice product. They fit fine etc. But, they set the front very aggressive for street use with negative camber; which I know it says -1 degree camber or more....does anyone know or have experience with if these can be set up just a bit more neutral for more friendly road use?

FYI I blew the hell out of my inner tires 360 degrees down to the belts partially due to the camber, partially I was pushing the car hard...so just looking to get a more neutral setup...don't want to go back to stock but if I have to I guess I can swap.

thanks

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...smt-detail.htm

Old 08-27-2015, 07:53 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Lol, -1deg is nothing and hardly what I consider aggressive. Once you go below -2deg is where you may run into possible issues. Just make sure to get a good alignment with proper toe settings and enjoy the extra turn in response.

Just curious why you bought monoball mounts in the first place if you weren't looking for a sporty ride?

Old 08-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
Lol, -1deg is nothing and hardly what I consider aggressive. Once you go below -2deg is where you may run into possible issues. Just make sure to get a good alignment with proper toe settings and enjoy the extra turn in response.

Just curious why you bought monoball mounts in the first place if you weren't looking for a sporty ride?
First you didn't help me at all but it's an extra -1° on top of factory or more in my ride right now sits at -2.5°

Since you want justification I bought the camber plates because the rubber wears out on the factory mounts and the camber plates are metal second I was under the impression I could ride at a -1° camber which apparently is not true hence my question. When I bought these the website was a bit vague as to the camber adjustment range and it still is. But again if you don't know the answer fine hopefully does. I am going to call them anyway just wanted user experience

Old 08-27-2015, 09:41 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Wow................

Originally Posted by 33jacket
first you didn't help me at all but it's an extra -1° on top of factory or more in my ride right now sits at -2.5°

since you want justification i bought the camber plates because the rubber wears out on the factory mounts and the camber plates are metal second i was under the impression i could ride at a -1° camber which apparently is not true hence my question. When i bought these the website was a bit vague as to the camber adjustment range and it still is. But again if you don't know the answer fine hopefully does. I am going to call them anyway just wanted user experience

Old 08-28-2015, 07:25 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
First you didn't help me at all but it's an extra -1° on top of factory or more in my ride right now sits at -2.5°

Since you want justification I bought the camber plates because the rubber wears out on the factory mounts and the camber plates are metal second I was under the impression I could ride at a -1° camber which apparently is not true hence my question. When I bought these the website was a bit vague as to the camber adjustment range and it still is. But again if you don't know the answer fine hopefully does. I am going to call them anyway just wanted user experience
Lol, wow is right. You never specified being -2.5 deg down. Be a bit more specific if you want the best responses.

By your logic, why not get solid engine mounts too since you don't have to worry about rubber wearing out there too?

To be helpful, your best bet is to get new stock mounts. Rubber exist in quite a few places for comfort and nvh control on a street car. I see many peeps trying to out engineer the factory when it comes to a normal street car which often ends in less than desireable results. Building race or track cars are the exception.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Lol, wow is right. You never specified being -2.5 deg down. Be a bit more specific if you want the best responses.

By your logic, why not get solid engine mounts too since you don't have to worry about rubber wearing out there too?

To be helpful, your best bet is to get new stock mounts. Rubber exist in quite a few places for comfort and nvh control on a street car. I see many peeps trying to out engineer the factory when it comes to a normal street car which often ends in less than desireable results. Building race or track cars are the exception.
my logic is sound, I don't have a ride comfort complaint at all and this is a "life" part; ride comforit issue would be more comparable to your engine mount point about harshness.... I realize rubber is easier on the ride but thats not my issue really at all. And I don't mind the tighter steering. Again no issue....this is just about blowing out tires every few thousand miles....The issue is around "Can I" reduce the negative camber from 2.5 to even 1.5.

Yes I should have been more specific about my camber setup. I have not been able to call tarret yet

I love the monoballs...they rock. My ride is better than stock even with H&R lowering springs and bilstein sport schocks + monoball. This is just as simple as getting better wear on tires....

Old 08-28-2015, 09:11 PM
m
I love the monoballs...they rock. My ride is better than stock even with H&R lowering springs and bilstein sport schocks + monoball. This is just as simple as getting better wear on tires....
What are your settings on your front toe? Toe shreds tires more than camber but they go mutually hand in hand. List your toe settings.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:28 AM
What are your settings on your front toe? Toe shreds tires more than camber but they go mutually hand in hand. List your toe settings.
ok let me find the paperwork. As a background, I installed the camber plates last year....so the alignment was then. So I have to find that printout if I even have it...the tires popped on my a few days ago with only a few thousand miles on em (like literally 4k on them). So this was the reason for the post. I knew the extra camber would wear them quickly for sure...but I was expecting to get around 10k out of them.....

Let me see if I can find the toe numbers. As a matter of course, I think the guy tried to set the alignment up as close to stock as he could...other than the 2.5 deg camber...

Old 08-30-2015, 07:33 AM
yeah, i don't have the printout. Crap. Here is what I do remember, the guy said he got everything in stock range "in the middle" but the camber was -2.4 on one side and -2.6 on the other...I clearly recall that...but I don't have the toe numbers to confirm.

However, if with negative camber, I need to be on one side of the toe range vs the other, vs in the middle, it would be helpful to know that so I can get them to set it up that way?

Old 08-31-2015, 06:15 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Okay, I had mine aligned and asked for this, in the rear I ask for neutral toe and just a small amount of negative camber, the rears sit pretty flat but you can see a tad negative camber, them on the fronts I asked to set to compliment the rear settings. I'm at 8500k on them and still have plenty of tread. The "toe out" really destroys the tread.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
Okay, I had mine aligned and asked for this, in the rear I ask for neutral toe and just a small amount of negative camber, the rears sit pretty flat but you can see a tad negative camber, them on the fronts I asked to set to compliment the rear settings. I'm at 8500k on them and still have plenty of tread. The "toe out" really destroys the tread.
so the front I would as for neutral toe?

Do you know what stock is?

Old 08-31-2015, 07:29 AM
If you have neutral toe, that's what I would keep it at. Swaying further from the manufacturer's settings will take away some character and may no longer feel like a Porsche.

Since it's been awhile, I suggest taking it in to get the alignment checked at a real good place. Some of them don't charge you just for checking it. It's better to spend the hundred or so on a real good alignment vs having to replace tires often.

Toe is tied to camber and can only be adjusted so far depending on your camber settings.

What does your other suspension pieces comprise of and what brand/model tires have you been using?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:47 AM
If you have neutral toe, that's what I would keep it at. Swaying further from the manufacturer's settings will take away some character and may no longer feel like a Porsche.

Since it's been awhile, I suggest taking it in to get the alignment checked at a real good place. Some of them don't charge you just for checking it. It's better to spend the hundred or so on a real good alignment vs having to replace tires often.

Toe is tied to camber and can only be adjusted so far depending on your camber settings.

What does your other suspension pieces comprise of and what brand/model tires have you been using?
Suspension is Stock other than: H&R Sport Springs. Bilstein Sport Shocks. And front camber plates. Otherwise all stock (sways, droplinks etc)

Tires...in the front were michelin pilots. I went cheap this time with a set of Kuhmos....but actually I like them.

The alignment was done last year. I will bring it in to do that, make sure the toes are neutral on front and rear etc....This time I will bring it to a different spot just incase....

Old 08-31-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm running Kuhmos as well and like them as well.