996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

No mufflers, no problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:05 AM
ZEMDOGG is on a distinguished road
No mufflers, no problems?

Ok Ive been talking crap for years now. Always saying that if I bought a 996 I would put muffler bypass pipes on it. Well I finally bit the bullet. Joe over at Fabspeed hooked me up(Great guy). All I can say is HOLY S*#T. At first I thought I was out of my mind but now Im loving it! You can feel a drastic increase in low end torque when combined with teh Fabspeed air kit. Throttle response is like hitting the sport button on a 997. Anyone have any experience running their car with no mufflers? tickets? Problems? Just wondering before I fall in love with it lol. Thanks!

Old 12-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Gabo2k is on a distinguished road
Re: No mufflers, no problems?

Originally posted by ZEMDOGG
Ok Ive been talking crap for years now. Always saying that if I bought a 996 I would put muffler bypass pipes on it. Well I finally bit the bullet. Joe over at Fabspeed hooked me up(Great guy). All I can say is HOLY S*#T. At first I thought I was out of my mind but now Im loving it! You can feel a drastic increase in low end torque when combined with teh Fabspeed air kit. Throttle response is like hitting the sport button on a 997. Anyone have any experience running their car with no mufflers? tickets? Problems? Just wondering before I fall in love with it lol. Thanks!
I am currently planning openning up the mufflers and inserting bypass pipes within, this just to keep the stock mufflers on.

Can you post any sound clips before I begin my project?

Old 12-21-2005, 10:33 AM
I wouldnt mess with the stock mufflers. If you ever go to sell the car your stuck with a loud exhaust which does not appeal to everyone. Plus you save 50 lbs off teh rear of the 911!!! Call up Joe at Fabspeed he has the pipes for like $500 I think. Easy on easy off. Plus you can sell them when your done. I unfortunately am not very good at the whole computer thing so no I cant post a clip but they have it (and it's very good) at Fabspeed.com

Just keep in mind its even louder in person.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Chronos is on a distinguished road
I've been running with muffler bypass pipes for about 3 months now and no tickets. Whenever I do see an officer I'm careful with my throttle. At first I thought they were too loud but now I'm sold.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Gabo2k is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Chronos
I've been running with muffler bypass pipes for about 3 months now and no tickets. Whenever I do see an officer I'm careful with my throttle. At first I thought they were too loud but now I'm sold.
Any problems with check engine lights (CEL)?

Is the sound deeper?

Instead of purchasing Fabspeed bypass pipes, I'm thinking of having them fabricated at a muffler shop (probably less expensive).

Old 12-21-2005, 11:18 AM
I know I'll get used to the sound the first day I was like WHOA but this morning I feel like I cant live with out them. I cant wait to get in my car again.

Once again modiflying your stock muffler just sounds like such a bad idea. Once you do it you cant go back. If you save a couple hundred bucks now you'll end up spending close to $1000 getting new stock ones. Plus if you dont like the sound (it is loud as hell) your stuck. Just my 0.02.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:07 PM
C4S ESQ is on a distinguished road
Its worth it!

I've had fabspeeds bypass pipes since September. I love them! This is what the car is suposed to sound like. At Sebring for DE everyone commented how awesome it sounded and it almost eliminated the need for looking at the tach since the car could communicate so well through sound.

And the performance is awesome with intake and flash. You can clearly hear the valve timing change under different conditions and really tweak your driving. I think the snap in the throttle is better than the 997 sport button, and the experience is clearly more rewarding.

Only 2 drawbacks, you need a loud radio and the car will start to rattle! But, the sound can be maniupalted through RPM and load, making everyday non agressive driving tolerable.

IMO the rush provided is well worth the minor drawbacks. The bark when you stab the throttle and the GT3 scream above 5k on WOT is awesome.

BTW, my car as modded picked up more power than advertised. It can run down a stock 997C2S (355 hp) and a 996C2 Evo Supercharged/Fabspeed exhaust (400+hp---50k miles old).

Old 12-21-2005, 12:29 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I don't know how you guys drive those day in day out, I use them for the track only. The noise is just too much on a DD IMO.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:04 PM
C4S ESQ Does the Giac software really make that much of a difference? I have a 99 Carrera with an 88 pin ECU and most companies dont have easy plug and play software for it. Do you know if it will work on my car?

Oh and BTW I just went to lunch, thumbs up by 1/2 a dozen people. It's way worth it!!!

Old 12-21-2005, 01:14 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Zemdog: I tried them and took them right off. IMO, way to loud for around town. You will not get much increase in power with simply removing the mufflers, but the weight loss is beneficial. Claims above that an '02 C4S can "run down" a properly running EVO SC'd 996 C2 is a dream. No matter what you do with your NA engine, you will never even stay close to a turbo or SC'd 996. Some people, I guess, believe that the louder the engine, the faster it is.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 12-21-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Im just looking for like 315 horsepower. I think the chip is the final fronteir. I just need to know what works?

Old 12-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Chronos is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

No CELs, yes it IS loud but as long as I don't open the throttle too aggessively and shift before 3k it isn't obnoxious. FT only on open, deserted roads. Otherwise you'll alert every police officer within 5 miles...

The snarls, the pops, it is all worth it. More performance? I doubt it other than the weight loss (a good thing). But it sure sounds great.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:28 PM
kem
kem is on a distinguished road
Maybe I should have got these instead of the fab mufflers, I find them a tad too quiet so far. I go WOT pretty often so maybe its better I dont have them. lol

Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 PM
C4S ESQ is on a distinguished road
i only use car 2 days a week, and i really look forward to those days.
if it were a DD, it would be a tougher decision, but i'd still do the bypass. i personally think the fabspeed mufflers on the 99 SC'd 996 are way to quiet, but there is nothing i've seen in between.

ZEMDOG--i can't tell you which mod was the best, i did them all together as a package and my car returned a different animal.

1999Porsche911--no need to be condescending (loud=speed). i think it was due to a 'tired' SC'd 996 engine, hence, the explanation that it had 50k plus miles on it (and most were hard with SC). i would fully expect a different result from a 'properly running' car and i never 'claimed' anything different. However, there is not as big a difference between our cars as you think. Now the EVO GT700 that always passes me like i'm standing still is FAST. REALLY FAST.

Originally posted by 1999Porsche911
Zemdog: Claims above that an '02 C4S can "run down" a properly running EVO SC'd 996 C2 is a dream. No matter what you do with your NA engine, you will never even stay close to a turbo or SC'd 996. Some people, I guess, believe that the louder the engine, the faster it is.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:28 AM
NC Bob is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by C4S Surgeon
I don't know how you guys drive those day in day out, I use them for the track only. The noise is just too much on a DD IMO.
I agree. At low rpms, it sounds like an old straight six Chevy that needs a muffler. Recently saw a beautiful 996 Cab with the bypass and the awful sound really detracted from the car's beauty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No mufflers, no problems?