996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How loud is loud - to bypass or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 12:30 AM
John Romano is on a distinguished road
How loud is loud - to bypass or not?

I’ve been reading the posts regarding the FabSpeed muffler bypass. The comments seem to be as polarized as the options available – the cat back systems are too quiet and the bypass is too loud. I think many of us would be happy with something in the middle?

I think if that little stub of bypass pipe that runs from the cats to the EL were replaced with some kind of glass pack, we might be on to something. In fact, I’m thinking of just buying the quad tips I like and going to a muffler shop and see if we can design the piece by locating the tip properly at the rear valance, find a pair of stubby glass packs short enough to fit between the EL and the cat, and then weld it all up. How hard could that be? I’m thinking pretty close to Tubi equipped Ferrari?

BTW: What exactly is loud to you guys anyway? Are we talking Harley Davidson loud? After market sport bike pipes loud? Those sound bites on the FabSpeed website are useless in determining audio level. I’m betting being able to temper that growl just a little would make most of us really happy.

Any suggestions?

John..

Old 12-24-2005, 04:52 AM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
i considered the muffler bypass too, before installing my PSE, main reason being the weight savings too, however, i started the car up for a short while without the mufflers in place and it was pretty nuts, doubt i could live with it in the long run, I already have a buddy with a Viper GTS on which we added 3” exhaust and minimal mufflers, and he’s partially deaf in his right ear now as a result of it….

Old 12-24-2005, 07:32 AM
marcsanz is on a distinguished road
In my experience the bypass pipes work great. Keep in mind if your car is a six speed you can control the sound a lot better with your gear choice. under full load they can definately be loud, but most people like the sound.

Old 12-24-2005, 07:46 AM
ZEMDOGG is on a distinguished road
One of the best sounding Porsches ever in my opinion, but there a lot of that sound a lot of the time. It's not as loud as a Harley but it pretty much has the same effect. You would have basically one of the loudest cars on the road. But like someone mentioned you can control it with a 6 speed. My real only problem is the low deep bassy sound you hear in the interior while going slow. It can get to you at times. Overall It's been 5 days now and I feel like I couldnt live without it!

Old 12-24-2005, 10:21 AM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
I have the Fabspeed catbypass pipes along with standard mufflers off a new 996 and it sounds amazing. Significantly louder and racier sounding. I have an autox clip that shows the sound if anyone can help me post it.

Only problem with the catbypass is the CEL light gets tripped every 25-30 starts. I have a local tech that checks is regularly for me and resets. If this little inconvenience could be fixed, I'd say everyone should have them!

Old 12-24-2005, 11:08 AM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
Re: How loud is loud - to bypass or not?

i've been thinking of doing the same thing. did some research on the web, from glasspacks to supertrapps. the problem is it's a short distance from the end of the cat pipe to the opening in the bumper. the glass pack mufflers i've found are 8" whereas i am thinking 4-6". might just have to fab one up

it would be great if it could be done. loud enough for the street and easy off for the track. not mention light.

Originally posted by John Romano
I’ve been reading the posts regarding the FabSpeed muffler bypass. The comments seem to be as polarized as the options available – the cat back systems are too quiet and the bypass is too loud. I think many of us would be happy with something in the middle?

I think if that little stub of bypass pipe that runs from the cats to the EL were replaced with some kind of glass pack, we might be on to something. In fact, I’m thinking of just buying the quad tips I like and going to a muffler shop and see if we can design the piece by locating the tip properly at the rear valance, find a pair of stubby glass packs short enough to fit between the EL and the cat, and then weld it all up. How hard could that be? I’m thinking pretty close to Tubi equipped Ferrari?

BTW: What exactly is loud to you guys anyway? Are we talking Harley Davidson loud? After market sport bike pipes loud? Those sound bites on the FabSpeed website are useless in determining audio level. I’m betting being able to temper that growl just a little would make most of us really happy.

Any suggestions?

John..

Old 12-24-2005, 11:10 AM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
get an OBDII scanner and you can clear the code yourself

Originally posted by racerjsz
I have the Fabspeed catbypass pipes along with standard mufflers off a new 996 and it sounds amazing. Significantly louder and racier sounding. I have an autox clip that shows the sound if anyone can help me post it.

Only problem with the catbypass is the CEL light gets tripped every 25-30 starts. I have a local tech that checks is regularly for me and resets. If this little inconvenience could be fixed, I'd say everyone should have them!

Old 12-24-2005, 11:21 AM
ZEMDOGG is on a distinguished road
Hey Karlooz,

How much of a diffeerence did the flywheel make? Are there any other mods that you have to do to get it to work right? Is the drivability greatly affected?

Thanks!