996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

repairing deep scratch from key?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 AM
kem
kem is on a distinguished road
repairing deep scratch from key?

Some jerkoff keyed my car last night at REI (next time I will bring a prius car cover to be incognito). Its not super long (3-4 inches long, and 1/4 in wide) but it is DEEP, bastard put some weight into it with a key because it is down to the metal. Do I need to worry about rusting?

It's right above the driver side rear taillight on the rear fender.

What is needed to fix such a scratch and what should a quality job end up costing? (ballpark is fine).

thanks

Old 03-14-2007, 12:42 PM
tweety is on a distinguished road
My answer would only be based on what I have heard others say.
Labor is most of the repair and the paint that you have may yield a larger issue with matching up. This is a prime example of "you get what you pay for".
It won't be cheap. Say a grand depending the part of the country I think. Here in Houston I would call it in to be between 5-750.
Rusting? Yeah it will but if you get it corrected soon then it won't matter much. In the meanwhile, go get some clear nailpolish and cover the scratch.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:39 PM
kem
kem is on a distinguished road
Unfortunatly I've got so many financial commitments right now, repairing this will have to wait a month or so. Is putting clear nail polish on it really recommended?

Old 03-14-2007, 03:48 PM
tweety is on a distinguished road
It's a temp fix at that but it will keep the rust off and it won't jump out as much as anything else. It will be taken off when the repair is done anyway and won't wash off while you get stuff together.
Call a shop and ask them what they suggest and tell them what you are thinking about the polish.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:56 PM
silver_6r is on a distinguished road
how about factory touch up paint?

Old 03-14-2007, 04:19 PM
shimey is on a distinguished road
Get one of those really funny, cute band-aid stickers.

or clear nail-polish....get something with uv protection though. Some stuff I put on some tree-rash on my xterra has turned a nasty yellow.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Sorry to hear about that man. The haters can do a lot of damage. I put a pox on this idiot.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:20 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
bummer.. just.. bummer

Old 03-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
damn that SUCKS...

Old 03-14-2007, 07:03 PM
joesmoe is on a distinguished road
Get the guy who painted his calipers Red to repaint it for you! hehe

Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 PM
PeterK will become famous soon enough
I think repainting the entire panel is the only answer.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
If it's down to the raw sheet metal, you'll need a body shop to repaint it.

However, in the short-term, if you know how to detail and have the right supplies (or have a really good detailer) you can mask it. Here's how:

-Use your Porter Cable 7424 Random Orbital Polisher with a white Lake Country pad, set your PC to between 4.5 and 6 with some Optimum Compound. Work this HARD until it's gone. Wipe it off with a good MF towel. Switch padson your PC to a Lake Country orange power pad, and use Optimum Polish. Wipe it off. This should reduce the dullness and haziness. Switch to a black Lake Country pad, and use Menzerna Glaze. Wipe off. Things are looking good. Switch to a red finishing pad and use Menzerna FMJ to seal the area. Should be good for awhile, and make the scratch MUCH less noticable.

PM me for my phone number if you have questions.