996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Who has Skid plate/Sump Guard? Overheat Problem?

Old 03-26-2004, 05:06 AM
c2blk is on a distinguished road
Who has Skid plate/Sump Guard? Overheat Problem?

I'm planning to get PSS9 for my 02 C2. Have read that once lowered its good idea to get a skid plate? But also thought I saw something before about how it may cause overheating.

Just wondering what ppl's thought are about necessity for skid plate once you lower the car lets say to 25.5 to 26 inches.

Do most of ppl with lowered cars have sump guard?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2004, 05:59 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
I installed one on my ROW lowered C2. I saw no difference in engine temps.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:07 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
there is an OEM part for the 3.4L and 3.6L engines....I know for sure therer isnt one for the TT or GT2...I think such a large metal plate would actually help lower temps by acting as a heat sink...Had it been available for TT I would have gotten one for sure!!

Old 03-26-2004, 11:17 AM
safetywork is on a distinguished road
I have one for my '99 C2 and didn't notice any temperature changes.

Old 03-26-2004, 01:07 PM
996garage will become famous soon enough996garage will become famous soon enough
Where's a good place to purchase this sump guard? Is it only available at dealers?

Old 03-26-2004, 01:12 PM
c2blk is on a distinguished road
Hi Sloth,

Since GT3 ride height is pretty slow, does it come stock with a sump guard?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2004, 01:41 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Gt3 doesn't have a sump because it's a real dry sump with a separate oil tank.

Old 03-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Originally posted by DJ996
Gt3 doesn't have a sump because it's a real dry sump with a separate oil tank.
That would be true. The GT3 (and all prior 911's) has a split case with a dry sump with a separate oil tank and not the deep internal semi-dry sump of the Carrera.

If the car is lowered, it is cheap insurance. I got mine at Suncoast Porsche for ~$100. You can do the install yourself, very easy. Just back onto some 2x4's to give you some room to work.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:19 PM
orlando_deke is on a distinguished road
Guard Plate Installed with X74

I installed the sump protection plate when X74 was installed. Ran the car on the track at Roebling Road for a DE for three days. One day had 4 hours of track time, 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. No overheating whatsoever (tires excluded!!). You should not see any change.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:45 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I have noticed zero problems associated with the use of the engine protection plate aka sump guard. I would say it's worth having on any 996, lowered or not, a no brainer if you will.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:56 AM
L.A. Cab is on a distinguished road
My Cab is sits pretty low on PSS9's. The engine protection plate is very easy to install (3 screws) and I have had no scrpaing or overheating, it is a wise investment for lowered cars. I picked it up for $100 at Suncoast Porsche...
Hope that helps...

Old 03-28-2004, 01:38 PM
AdamB is on a distinguished road
I remember reading something about Porsche not officially even making a protection plate for the 2002+ 3.6L engine. Is this true and in this case are we using a part not designed for our cars? Perhaps they added extra protection?

Or am I totally wrong and just the victim of hearing a false rumor?

Old 03-28-2004, 09:08 PM
JakeMate is on a distinguished road
My '99 had one on when I bought it. I've had high water temp problems at the track in the middle of summer. After 15 mins, my water temp was getting pretty high. I added a third radiator and that seemed to help. I've never heard anyone mention that the guard may cause higher temps but now that you mention it, I guess it could.

C4C_leon and Peter_C4C were at the track too with their '02's (?) and they had zero problems. Maybe because theirs are newer, or maybe because they weren't running the guard? Interesting.

On a side note, I don't think my engine compartment fan is working properly. I've never heard mine come on after parking it while the other guys fans always come on. Maybe that's why mine was running a little hotter?

Old 03-29-2004, 11:13 AM
wyo996 is on a distinguished road
I was banging my bottom on my 00 C4 and the Gemballa motor protector helped. I placed it on my 02 C4S new and it has been great. We will see if it bothers with the EVO SC. But remember, this is Wyoming. Will

Old 03-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by AdamB
I remember reading something about Porsche not officially even making a protection plate for the 2002+ 3.6L engine. Is this true and in this case are we using a part not designed for our cars? Perhaps they added extra protection?

Or am I totally wrong and just the victim of hearing a false rumor?
The engine protection plate was for the earlier 996's as they had exposed bolts on the sump and there were cases where the bolts could catch and damage the sump or block. PAG changed the design to eliminate that issue, but it is still good protection for the sump and for low hanging water lines...

Like I said before... it is cheap protection and insurance.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who has Skid plate/Sump Guard? Overheat Problem?