997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Another PSS10 installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:55 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
If you're not tracking the car, then I would strongly suggest sticking with the oem sway bars. If you are not familiar with car setup leave it alone, you can really hurt the handling of these cars or any car by jacking around with adjustable suspensions. Gene tracks his turbo and has a lot of solo track experience, somebody with less experience may do better with seat time. You just can't throw equipment at a car and make it a track car, I wouldn't even run R compounds until you are maxing out the street tires- you will know when this happens.
OK I'm off the soapbox.
This is exactly why I'd like to know what the different diameters of these sway bars are. I'd like to know what their stiffness is relative to the stock bars. Lever moments would also be helpful. I'll be calling H&R tomorrow, and hopefully they can provide some insight into this matter. Like Atomic80 I want a suspension that is more confidence inspiring than stock. I don't want to turn the car into a buckboard wagon. I just want to get something similar to my previous car (Dinan stage 3 E-46 M3), which was a great road car.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:12 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Exactmundo! Please post the info when you find out. I really have no problem with mine at the track, other than desperately needing track tires! I would check the alignment and watch the air pressures as a start.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:18 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Exactmundo! Please post the info when you find out. I really have no problem with mine at the track, other than desperately needing track tires! I would check the alignment and watch the air pressures as a start.
Roger that

Old 11-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Spoke with H&R this AM. They say their bars are fully tested and approved in Germany by the TUV. The application of these bars is intended for the street. The stock drop links are recommended for use with the 997TT bars. Case closed.

Now the most important piece of the puzzle will be dickin' around with the alignment. Hopefully I can get that sorted before I end up in the scenery.

So for now, it's full speed ahead. When it's done and I've had some test time, I'll post a report on "How to Screw Up Your Suspension".

Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
What are the diameters of the bars compared to stock?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:15 AM
The H&R guy didn't know. I'm still researching that and will post when I find out.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 AM
From the local dealers data: Front 22.5mm; Rear 22.5mm (w/ LSD) 21.7mm (wo/ LSD) You can draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by HUMMM 3; 11-21-2007 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Add mm
Old 11-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Both Atomic80 and I will have the Bilstein Damptronics (PSS10) and the adjustable H&R sway bars installed. Rather than use the stock drop links or the ones provided with the Bilsteins we'll be going with the Tarett Engineering links, which are more robust. Alignment and ride height values are still being discussed, but those should be finalized next week. Corner balancing will also be part of the package.

A definitive ride report may take some time as our roads here in Washington state have a rich patina of moss on them. That coupled with the famous Pacific Northwest banana slugs slithering across the roads and the cold wet weather (it rains a LOT here) makes our test track roads slipperier than deer guts on a doorknob.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:58 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Humm at least you can test out the PSM and TC on the Turbo from the roads

I don't the sways will help you on slippery when slugged - OEM or otherwise..

I would be surprised if you can really feel the positives of the sways on your setup for the street but then again if really can vary according to your skills..

It's not an expensive option if the return on the feel can really be felt. What setting are you going to put it on initially? Soft or the middle?

Old 11-23-2007, 08:14 PM
WildBill is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to the driving reports. I just got back from another sprited canyon and mountain run and I am amazed at the transfomation the PSS10's, corner balance, and alignment have made. The turbo is now a BLAST to drive in the corners and turns. It now has power, grace, and agility and no longer feels like a 3500 lb sled being pushed through the corners. I'm loving it!

Old 11-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Humm at least you can test out the PSM and TC on the Turbo from the roads

I don't the sways will help you on slippery when slugged - OEM or otherwise..

I would be surprised if you can really feel the positives of the sways on your setup for the street but then again if really can vary according to your skills..

It's not an expensive option if the return on the feel can really be felt. What setting are you going to put it on initially? Soft or the middle?
Probably start in the middle (three holes). Because we are adding two variables at the same time (Damptronics and sway bars) it will be hard to evaluate the benefits attributable to either. In any event I believe these modifications will definitely raise my threshold for stupid.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:00 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
LOL @ HUMMM3. Our threshold for stupid was already raised when we put a 198mph capable car in our hands.

I am very curious as to your findings as well as Jason's.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:37 PM
WildBill is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
In any event I believe these modifications will definitely raise my threshold for stupid.
That's funny, but it certainly worked for me

Old 12-03-2007, 03:28 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Some track footage with the PSS10's from this past weekend

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...75921816&hl=en

Bilstein PSS10's felt great at the track. Car was very planted and had great traction despite a very light drizzle, whereas many people were complaining of being loose all over the track. FYI a couple of laps after the video cam dropped I did finally get past the 997GT3

Old 12-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by eclou
Some track footage with the PSS10's from this past weekend

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...75921816&hl=en

Bilstein PSS10's felt great at the track. Car was very planted and had great traction despite a very light drizzle, whereas many people were complaining of being loose all over the track. FYI a couple of laps after the video cam dropped I did finally get past the 997GT3
eclou,

Nice video. I wonder, recognizing you have chipped your car, do you experience any turbo lag on the track, and if so how do you deal with it?

Larry

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another PSS10 installation