997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Edmunds 911 Turbo BEATS GT-R 0-60, 1/4 Mile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Tony (FL) is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Deity
The cars are also not running the same tires contrary to popular opinion. The rules are that all tires must come from the Tire Rack. The GTR is running stock RE070 runflats rather than the sticker stock Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires.

http://www.gtrblog.com/index.php/200...lts-upd?blog=4
There are no Michelin tires that come stock on the GT-R. It's either Dunlop or Bridgestone.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
LOL, you think you're clever dont you, I already know who you are. You tried this act last time you got reinstated, but not clever enough not to exhibit the same tendencies in your posts. Funny how everytime and arguementative fanboys dissappears, a new one arrives, prepare to get banned Z07. You'd better be smart enough to have a different IP, because you're about to get banned yet again. Funny how determined you are to post here, it's pathetic. MPD FTL.

Either way You cant read, Mid America, CMP and Beaver Run are all wilson tracks in case you cant read the schedule either. And since when is a kink like a regular road? And where is there a kink on tsukuba?
C'mon, it was obvious from the beginning who this "Deity" was.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony (FL)
There are no Michelin tires that come stock on the GT-R. It's either Dunlop or Bridgestone.

Not to mention, the RE070's are not an dissavantage in the stickyness department. You wont find anyone else running them because they are an import tire and specifically work good on import (japanese for the literally challenged) awd cars. Not to mention the GT-R has tires especially developed FOR IT, that have a much lower treadwear rating, which 9 times out of ten when its a complete 80 point difference in treadwear, means the lower rated tire will be much stickier. The softness ofthe compound isnt all that far from being R rated. The stiffer sidewalls are much more beneficial for a car like the GT-R anyways and track driving in general.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Tony (FL) is on a distinguished road
Not to mention, the RE070's are not an dissavantage in the stickyness department. You wont find anyone else running them because they are an import tire and specifically work good on import (japanese for the literally challenged) awd cars. Not to mention the GT-R has tires especially developed FOR IT, that have a much lower treadwear rating, which 9 times out of ten when its a complete 80 point difference in treadwear, means the lower rated tire will be much stickier. The softness ofthe compound isnt all that far from being R rated. The stiffer sidewalls are much more beneficial for a car like the GT-R anyways and track driving in general.
Agreed. You can't use the tires as an excuse when Nissan specifically designed them for the GT-R.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 AM
rafiki is on a distinguished road
LOL, you think you're clever dont you, I already know who you are. You tried this act last time you got reinstated, but not clever enough not to exhibit the same tendencies in your posts. Funny how everytime and arguementative fanboys dissappears, a new one arrives, prepare to get banned Z07. You'd better be smart enough to have a different IP, because you're about to get banned yet again. Funny how determined you are to post here, it's pathetic. MPD FTL.

Either way You cant read, Mid America, CMP and Beaver Run are all wilson tracks in case you cant read the schedule either. And since when is a kink like a regular road? And where is there a kink on tsukuba?
If it is Z07 LOL...

You guys provide great entertainment ...

Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Let's take a look at an RE070RFT

Outer blocks are almost completely solid like an R comp.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:03 AM
ztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to beholdztnedman1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Deity
Oh no! The GTR is 0.1s down in the quarter. That'll be really difficult to get back aftermarket.
You sound like an idiot when you bring up aftermarket. Its all about money then. If you are banking the GT-R being great becaue of aftermarket you will be SEVERLY disspointed. TTGallardo's, TT supras, TT Cobras, 996TT's, Foxbody mustangs, Modified Vettes, Etc.. etc..etc... And forget about a TT viper, or a liter+ bike.

As for your 700hp claims... I will believe when I see. Everything with the GT-R is all bench racing and speculation so far. Within a year the true story will surface. I'd keep it in your pants until then.

And quit bringing up after market. This is about stock-stock. Aftermarket is a WHOLE new can of worms, that NONE of the new cars have tapped yet. You need atleast 5+years before solid really good tuning setups are out and proven. Until it shows up when it COUNTS, your speaking out of your ***. IT MAY be as good as claims, the Z06 was, but I highly doubt it will be.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Dopod is on a distinguished road
Hello......my 1st post here (obviously!)

Here are links to some new Best Motoring videos of 6sp manual TT with Ceramics but non-cup tyres vs GTR, LP640, Exige S and SL Gallardo. Its at a much more open track than the normal Tsukuba.

From what I can see:

1) Clearly the 997 turbo is faster in a straight line. In fact even the LP 640 has a hard time passing the turbo

2) The turbo seems to be driven competently. The driver was handicapped by big understeer but was not wasting time with driving sideways.

3) The GTR looks very stable in direction changes.

My opinion: The GTR was built by Nissan to purely chase numbers and get headlines. They have clearly hit the target!! It is pointless to compare it with anything on the market because the car is so clearly focused on numbers. The front engine, 4wd and trick transmission gives it so much stability that it allows the engineers to equip it with super aggressive tyres plus super stiff suspension and still allow it to be useable on the road.

No point for turbo owners to be hung up on it. Porsche could easily focus on the numbers alone and build a faster car....but they didn't. Its because they wanted to build a nicer one... Tolerable ride comfort, more easily available tyres, good road feel..... that's important to them. The laptime is just a byproduct and not the focus of their engineering. If laptimes are so important to an owner of a road car (strikes me as odd), then just slap some full on race coilovers plus bushings, roll bars and semi-slicks and you will be just as quick......but it probably won't be as nice a car to own and will definetely mean less sales for Porsche. They know their market better than anyone.

I guess the real question should be would anyone buy a GTR over the 997 turbo if the turbo was the same price as the GTR??? I am pretty sure of the answer to this

Videos:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2J7tI77tEo

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCOXTuxb_oY

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK96ijHYi1Y

Old 05-08-2008, 11:44 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
clear as day the TT is quicker on the straights, but GTR sure does brake late and make up the distance - in this vid.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by RichardNixon

I think you are missing the point. A GTR can go to 611hubhp with just an ECU and exhaust. Can a TT do that? Can a Gallardo? Can a Cobra? etc. A Viper probably can but that's about it. How much does an exhaust and ECU cost? Not about money at all really.

not at the hubs, at the crank TrickyDick/Deity/Z07. I already explained that to you. TCF of 1.1 includes a correction factor of 10% for driveline losses, and even then it was on a Dynapak.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:26 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Anyone else in favor of a mass GT-R newbie banning?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RichardNixon

I think you are missing the point. A GTR can go to 611hubhp with just an ECU and exhaust. Can a TT do that? Can a Gallardo? Can a Cobra? etc. A Viper probably can but that's about it. How much does an exhaust and ECU cost? Not about money at all really.

131 BHP from ECU and Exhaust.

Where's the BS flag at on 6speed? If the ECU consists of adding 4 to 5 pounds of boost then a so called ECU might fly but if not... I'm still looking for that flag just in case. I'll just leave it at that because leaning it out adding some timing with some octane will not get you 80 to 90 HP to the wheels... not on the same boost level.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:21 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
This Z07 dude is obsessed. Sad Sad individual.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Anyone else in favor of a mass GT-R newbie banning?

Contact Scott (divexxtreme) he's taking care of them for us.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 PM

He didnt even bother putting a location this time.

Dammit dude, give it up already, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE!!!!!!

As quick as Scott can ban him, he's back again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Edmunds 911 Turbo BEATS GT-R 0-60, 1/4 Mile