997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

The benefits of the GIAC Flashloader system and ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
The benefits of the GIAC Flashloader system and ...

The benefits of the GIAC Flashloader system and how it incorporates and goes beyond the ignition map switching that exists in most OEM programs today.
The GIAC Flashloader system, which includes a flashing cable and a handheld switching device both designed and manufactured by GIAC, is one of the most advanced multi-performance flashing options on the market today. With the our proprietary switching technology, the end user has the option to choose from a host of different settings and modes. Once the GIAC 91 or 93 octane performance program has been purchased our customers can choose to add any combination of the following options: stock performance, race gas performance, "Valet" ( which is a part throttle only mode ), and "Kill" ( immobilizes the vehicle, even if the key is used ). Customers may also purchase our Privacy Firewall which will lock their Flashloader Handheld to their car with an embedded password, excluding all other Handhelds from switching your modes.
With a touch of a button the DME can be switched from a pump gas program to a race gas program or a valet program within a couple of seconds, even with the motor running. Not only does the Flashloader Handheld device alert the end user that the switch was successful by lighting an LED on the button, but it can also read out the current mode on command. Seconds after pressing the read button, the LED will light to show the current or active mode. The speed at which the Flashloader Handheld switches can really save the day. Consider a customer handing their keys to someone to whom they do not want to grant performance program access. As seen in the video compiled by AWE-Tuning and linked below, the Flashloader Handheld switches programs quickly and is very intuitive to use.
As some of you may know, the 997TT uses knock activity to determine fuel quality. The DME then uses this information to choose between four RON-dependant ( octane ) ignition maps from the factory. These maps are calibrated to take into account varying conditions and levels of premium fuel quality around the world. In fact, one could say that there has been some switching in most OEM programs for many years now, we have seen this since 1985. These maps are, however, closely grouped in terms of aggressiveness and cover a small range of octane levels. One way to offer tuning for race gas and pump gas with in a single program is to spread these four ignition maps farther apart. A tuner may calibrate the first map for say 100 octane, the second for 93, the third for 91 and the fourth for that occasional bad tank of 91. If the customer is running a good quality and quantity of race gas and the knock sensors are quiet, then the DME will run on the 100 map. If the octane level is below 100 and/or the knock sensors register enough activity then the DME will kick down to the 93 map. There have been many tuners that have offered a wider range of octane adaptability by riding the knock sensors through the different timing maps, however we have always wanted to provide our customers with a more stable system.
GIAC has developed quite a bit more for the 997TT computer than just re-calibration of the factory ignition maps to for adaptation to different octane levels. Because of our technical experience, skill and assets, we are able to completely disassemble, modify and reassemble all code within the DME. Since we are able to use GIAC authored micro-controller instruction code and functions in the DME, we are able to add more ignition and boost maps as well as additional functionality to the DME. In fact, we have four ignition maps for the stock mode as well as four for each of the two GIAC calibrations, race and pump. The benefits of this flexibility are that we have maps closely grouped around the target octane level. If a customer is running the race gas program on race gas but still gets some knock activity because of other conditions, like high ambient temp, the DME will kick down to one of the lower race gas maps rather then the 93 octane map in the example given earlier. Having 12 ignition maps also allows us to take advantage of much higher octane levels when customers want full competition files added to there switching options.
For the 997 Turbo, each mode was calibrated separately by GIAC. Our stock, pump and race gas modes are more than just ignition map differences. These are each complete calibrations. When a customer changes from our stock to pump or even to race mode, the DME is doing more than just changing which ignition maps it uses. Many current GIAC customers will notice that the boost changes as well between all three modes. Boost is higher on the GIAC race gas program vs. the GIAC pump gas program. When a customer changes to the stock mode, not only is the power stock, but the easy-to-read boost measurement on the dash will show stock boost.
If anyone has any questions about our Flashloader system, please feel free to contact me and or visit the following links.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
So is the stock mode exactly like stock? If I wanted to return the car to stock, would my installer simply load up your version of the stock program or does it revert back to the original factory program?

Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
thanks for the info Andrew. Sounds very sophisticated, the way the factory would want it programmed

Old 09-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
So is the stock mode exactly like stock? If I wanted to return the car to stock, would my installer simply load up your version of the stock program or does it revert back to the original factory program?
Stock mode with the G.I.A.C. Flashloader is just that, stock timing, fuel, and boost levels.

If you wanted to return the car COMPLETELY to stock, you could send your computer to any G.I.A.C. Porsche Flashcenter and they can upload your original stock programming.

Did that answer your question?

Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Did this make sense to the forum? Does anyone have any specific questions?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
Did this make sense to the forum? Does anyone have any specific questions?
I have a specific question: I'd like to see a same car, same parts, same dyno A/B test between a car with GIAC programming and EVOMS programming (and / or other competitors). A GPS-logged single-gear acceleration test would also be useful.

I find it impossible to sort through all the competing claims here.

-Chris

Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I dont think you can go wrong with either, Im still kicking tires on both these as installers are all local.

Both add tons of power and frankly Im not worried who makes more power as the difference cannot be that much and I dont exactly want either of them walking to close to the bad end of the thin line reliability wise if you know what I mean.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Subbie is on a distinguished road
Having both GIAC and EVO flashes on my 07 997TT I feel that EVO has the ability to individually customize for my cars needs. For example I would call up and say letz tweek the agressiveness at a certain rpm range with 93 octane. They take the original customized file for my car and tweek it to my new request.

Maybe I'm more experienced with the entire flashing thing now but I never had that kind of customization with GIAC. I did like the ability to switch back to stock mode with the GIAC box.

In a nut shell I think both are fine choices, but if you are more experienced and want a higher level of customization EVO might be a better choice.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by chrisn
I have a specific question: I'd like to see a same car, same parts, same dyno A/B test between a car with GIAC programming and EVOMS programming (and / or other competitors). A GPS-logged single-gear acceleration test would also be useful.

I find it impossible to sort through all the competing claims here.

-Chris
I would like to see the same thing myself.

What I would hope the forum sees is the vast difference in the complexity of the tuning.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Subbie
Having both GIAC and EVO flashes on my 07 997TT I feel that EVO has the ability to individually customize for my cars needs. For example I would call up and say letz tweek the agressiveness at a certain rpm range with 93 octane. They take the original customized file for my car and tweek it to my new request.

Maybe I'm more experienced with the entire flashing thing now but I never had that kind of customization with GIAC. I did like the ability to switch back to stock mode with the GIAC box.

In a nut shell I think both are fine choices, but if you are more experienced and want a higher level of customization EVO might be a better choice.
I understand, but let me ask you something. They would make the changes then send you programs to test?

What did you do to assure that what you were running was safe? When I say that, I mean, how did you collect your data to know if what changed was actually working?

Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Subbie is on a distinguished road
Mike, they are not using me or my car as a test platform. They have their own car for that and have demonstrated their cars and their tuning ability with it. What I am saying is, if my driving style is a specific way, or I run a specific grade of fuel, they can custom tune it to my request. And because it’s a ‘been there, done that’ with their own cars I feel completely safe that the tweeked files won’t hurt the car.
<O</O
Addionally, if I like an aggressive throttle response, they can do this for me. Because they have their own car and do their own tuning in house, then I am sure that they know the limitations within certain parameters of safety with different fuel grades. Also, if I want my sport button to be tuned as a 100 octane race setting, they can do this as well.

I was just recently down in Tempe, AZ to see them and spoke to them in detail about what parameters they could safely change to individualize the car. Interestingly, some people like a much more aggressive throttle than I do, thus making it important to find out what the driving styles of their customers are. They are not just a cookie cutter tuner with an out of the box program.
<O</O
As I said before I think EVO is a better solution for the more advanced user. <O</O

Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
I understand, but let me ask you something. They would make the changes then send you programs to test?

What did you do to assure that what you were running was safe? When I say that, I mean, how did you collect your data to know if what changed was actually working?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:07 PM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
I have a GIAC flashloader for sale if anyone is interested.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:34 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Andrew (& Mike),

Thanks for the very helpful info. I suspect I am not the only one in this forum reading about the top 2 choices of ECU upgrade with much interest. A couple of questions please (I am COMPLETELY new to this and trying to learn as much as I could before making a decision. Don't mean to start a flame war. If the questions don't make any sense , pardon me and please explain why.):

1. Do you recommend an upgrade diverter valve to be used with the power upgrade?

2. Did I understand correctly, that if I plan to use ONLY 91 octane gas and never valet park my car, then I don't need the flash loader?

3. Did I understand correctly, that the implication here is that a mode switch between say pump and race gas is better done with a flash loader fashion (as opposed to an automatic switch with programs already loaded into the ECU), because it allows a more complicated switch (than an automatic switch)?

Old 09-06-2008, 04:43 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I for one am happy to see that G.I.A.C and EVO explain their processes so that people such as Cannga, myself and others who are not too in the know of these products can make an informed decision based on "our" belief of who has the better product, service and reliability. A few extra HP's here and there does not make my "nuts" tingle so I am not in it to for "i have the most HP" boost experience. I take my time on everything and this is the next big step for me so I will continue to digest this information and will quietly speak to one of the tuners when I am ready. Got to keep it on the down low in case a GT-R comes up on me

Subbie - I do not think Mike meant that your car was a guinea pig in a "sense". I think he was saying that if you call up any tuner and say hey I want a 95 octane tune and I want it back to be in a few days that they would have time to test the 95 octane update to make sure everything is okay and send it back to you in a fast run around. Mike please correct me if I am wrong but I read it that way.

I am glad we have knowledgeable tuners that test their own cars to make sure we get real world results.

Keep the information rolling..

Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
<!--StartFragment -->Subbie,

It is good to hear that your are happy with your car. One thing to note is that we do customize files on request. In fact, I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a engine calibration company with as many one off, kit, project car, and race team customers as we have supported. It is a double edged sword that this is something that we have been known for since our company was started back in the early 90's. Since then we have grown substantially in sales and brand recognition, amassing 192 distributors along the way, some of whom make calibration requests on their customers behalf daily. We get a large volume of people asking for different tunes and we take on as many as is reasonable, however time is a limited resource. If there is anything that we can do for you in the future, be sure to let us know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The benefits of the GIAC Flashloader system and ...