997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Last night at the drag strip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:53 AM
BRN 997 TT is on a distinguished road
Cool Last night at the drag strip

For the first time I took my car to the track yesterday. Later at night I ran my car on the drag strip & to be honest with you it was pretty impressive. Although the weather was around 90-95F & humidity was around 80-85%.

This is my run
60' - 1.940
1/4 11.58 @ 132MPH

I launched the car very easy launch a bog. The car has a RUF550 package - 6speed (ECU & Cat-back Exhaust & drop-in filter) Boost 1bar ONLY.

Will post the Time slip as soon as i scan.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:45 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BRN 997 TT
For the first time I took my car to the track yesterday. Later at night I ran my car on the drag strip & to be honest with you it was pretty impressive. Although the weather was around 90-95F & humidity was around 80-85%.

This is my run
60' - 1.940
1/4 11.58 @ 132MPH

I launched the car very easy launch a bog. The car has a RUF550 package - 6speed (ECU & Cat-back Exhaust & drop-in filter) Boost 1bar ONLY.

132 MPH! WOW...

Old 10-18-2008, 10:34 AM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
wow... impressive trap speed...

Old 10-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Good trap speed.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:41 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
very impressive. That would indicate approx 650+ crank hp min

Old 10-18-2008, 01:44 PM
xandi911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NineNineSixTT
wow... impressive trap speed...

+1

are you sure its rigght?!?!

Old 10-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !

This is my run
60' - 1.940
1/4 11.58 @ 132MPH

Nice run, bro. That's very quick!

Just so the rest of you guys know, the dragstrips here in the US measure Trap Speeds differently than those in other countries.

Previous to 1989, there were three timing lights at the end of the track; one at the end of the 1/4 mile, one 66 feet before and one 66 feet after. The middle light was used to calculate the E.T., and the time to travel the 132 feet at the end of the track was used to calculate the Trap Speed. This gave the average speed at the end of the track...but most of the racers stayed on the throttle for an additional 66 feet past the end to get a consistent speed to evaluate their setup. The track's shut down area is a fixed length, but the pro racers were starting to hit 300 mph plus by the end. In an attempt to get these guys off the gas 66 feet earlier and make the cars 'appear' slower, the NHRA stopped using the last light around August of 1989.

Today, the Trap Speed is calculated between the light at the end of 1/4 mile and the one 66 feet before. So any timeslip after 1989 is really only giving the average speed between the two, which I believe is a good 2-3 percent slower than simply measuring the speed at the end of the run like the tracks in other countries do. Since I'm pretty sure that Bahrain uses the same setup other countries do (I've actually been to the track)...a 131 mph trap speed at that track would be a few mph slower here in the US.

Thus, the only way to accurately compare his car to one of ours is by using a Performance Box for some 60-130 runs.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-18-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:50 PM
BusyLivin has a little shameless behaviour in the past
^^^
wow, good info to know!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:51 AM
BRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant future
nice explanation, but the car with a hard launch and without it bogging and being in boost from first will trap higher than the 132 that it ran therefore even with your explanation below the car will still be over 130mph.
you can do the calculation..... it ran 1.94 60ft..... what if it ran 1.6 60ft....?????
the other reason is why the trap reading is accurate because allot of cars are purchased from the states and when they tested here they run the same...

are track is both NHRA, IHRA approved/certified (funny cars ran on the track to)

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Nice run, bro. That's very quick!

Just so the rest of you guys know, the dragstrips here in the US measure Trap Speeds differently than those in other countries.

Previous to 1989, there were three timing lights at the end of the track; one at the end of the 1/4 mile, one 66 feet before and one 66 feet after. The middle light was used to calculate the E.T., and the time to travel the 132 feet at the end of the track was used to calculate the Trap Speed. This gave the average speed at the end of the track...but most of the racers stayed on the throttle for an additional 66 feet past the end to get a consistent speed to evaluate their setup. The track's shut down area is a fixed length, but the pro racers were starting to hit 300 mph plus by the end. In an attempt to get these guys off the gas 66 feet earlier and make the cars 'appear' slower, the NHRA stopped using the last light around August of 1989.

Today, the Trap Speed is calculated between the light at the end of 1/4 mile and the one 66 feet before. So any timeslip after 1989 is really only giving the average speed between the two, which I believe is a good 2-3 percent slower than simply measuring the speed at the end of the run like the tracks in other countries do. Since I'm pretty sure that Bahrain uses the same setup other countries do (I've actually been to the track)...a 131 mph trap speed at that track would be a few mph slower here in the US.

Thus, the only way to accurately compare his car to one of ours is by using a Performance Box for some 60-130 runs.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BRN997GT3
nice explanation, but the car with a hard launch and without it bogging and being in boost from first will trap higher than the 132 that it ran therefore even with your explanation below the car will still be over 130mph.
Even if it does trap 132 over there...that still doesn't mean it's over 129 or 130 here in the US.

you can do the calculation..... it ran 1.94 60ft..... what if it ran 1.6 60ft....?????
Then your E.T. would definitely be better, but not necessarily your MPH. 60' time is all about E.T. and usually even causes the reverse to happen (the slower the 60' time, the faster the trap speed).

Some of my highest trap speeds have been on runs with the worst 60' time. As you can see in below pictures of runs that I ran at the 900+ HP level and 675 HP level...my fastest traps were achieved on my runs with the slowest 60' times. At 675 my worst 60' time was 1.85 and I trapped 136 mph on that run (the runs with better 60' times I only trapped 135). At the 900+ HP level, my slowest E.T. on street tires was 2.35 and I trapped 148 mph on that run (the others with better 60' times were 145 and 146 mph).

the other reason is why the trap reading is accurate because allot of cars are purchased from the states and when they tested here they run the same...

are track is both NHRA, IHRA approved/certified (funny cars ran on the track to)
The tracks in the US have to abide by the speed measurement setup that I described above for insurance/liability reasons. If the track is located outside the US, even those that are NHRA/IHRA certified, they can use a normal setup (one that measures the peak speed at the end of the run) since US insurance companies have no say in it.

So again, the trap speeds are not comparable.

Attached Images   

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-19-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:47 AM
And your point is? Just for your info, i graduated from the states & I was drag racing sense 1995, & Just to inform you the track in the US are way off too, since not all the tracks are straight, some tracks are slanted downwards, which increases trap speed. for example (when you run in Atco raceway Vs E-Town you always run faster in atco). Therefore your 1989 theory doesn't make sence, sinse we are in 2008.

Bahrain Track as mentioned prior is fully sertified, therefore i dont think they would use any time board/sensor to cut cost. Our Track was set-up by the same people who have setup E-Town, which is one of the best tracks in the US.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:52 AM
BRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant futureBRN997GT3 has a brilliant future
you are right in regards of the 60ft, but thats if you have wheel spin, not if the car bogged and was not in boost (lag) if the car was launched and was in its power band the car would trap higher.... to prove it, we will run the 997tt again next weekend.

there might be another reason why your car trapped higher in your final run with a bad 60ft???
if you see the time of run, the first run it was 9.19, the second run was 9:30 = 11minutes cool down and the last run with the highest trap = 24mins cool down that helps the car run faster.....

Last edited by BRN997GT3; 10-19-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 AM
And your point is?
Just clarifying some things for people who weren't aware.

Just for your info, i graduated from the states & I was drag racing sense 1995, & Just to inform you the track in the US are way off too, since not all the tracks are straight, some tracks are slanted downwards, which increases trap speed. for example (when you run in Atco raceway Vs E-Town you always run faster in atco). Therefore your 1989 theory doesn't make sence, sinse we are in 2008.
LOL..it isn't theory. It's a fact. I'm sorry if that upsets you.

Bahrain Track as mentioned prior is fully sertified, therefore i dont think they would use any time board/sensor to cut cost. Our Track was set-up by the same people who have setup E-Town, which is one of the best tracks in the US.
I never said it's not certified. Re-read what I wrote earlier.

As far as my runs, I was short shifting 1st and 2nd to prevent wheelspin...which led to a higher trap. My point was that a faster 60' time does not always mean a higher MPH, which is what you were implying earlier. It can also mean a lower MPH....proven by the timeslips I posted.

Regardless, your car runs well...but the only way to accurately compare it with our cars in the US is to buy a $500.00 Performance Box and get some 60-130 runs in. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Here is my time slip..

Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2008, 05:45 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Even worst case @ 3% less it's still over a 128 mph trap. So still a car that's capable of 130 mph trap in good conditions with good driving, which is still amazing for the claimed hp. No need for this to turn to a pissing match. Bogging undoubtedly costs mph as well so without bog humidity, thats a 130 mph trap even here most likely, certainly northeast on a good day.

Lets focus on the positive. Worst case here is 128 mph in high humidity with bog. Best case is 130+ mph.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.