997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turn Signals to DRL Conversion........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:06 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
Most states that enforce DOT lighting standards will/do require yellow directionals up front. The new Audi's had to revamp the original prototype design just for this reason. It was so much cleaner before they 'had to' make the change.

Now - If they're squeezing twin sets of LED's into the housing, one strand with parking/driving lights and a separate yellow strand directional - then they've got a winner. But there'd have to be some relay replacements (and other wiring items) included.

As for the price - if it comes with all the above, I'm in, however if not ... it is too much. Add the cost of yanking the bumper, storing the car, waiting 4 days (sure, they'll get in, mod'd and out of Germany into our hands in 4 days ... ) installed and the bumper hung again, you're looking at a big bill. Half that price is approachable with all the other costs involved.

How would we handle warranty and bad bulb issues?

I am intrigued though - looking forward to your reply.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:11 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
I just pulled some data from the service manual...wow, to change the cluster requires a front bumper pull. No wonder Jason was so pissed when his cluster melted.
The LED cluster takes 30 seconds (each side) to remove. One screw, pull, disconnect single plug and your done.

Im sure if its only the LED's being replaced thats all you need to send to the company swapping the yellows out for white.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
How to you reach the plug? I pulled the cluster and while the parking light can disconnect, the led wiring seems to go deep into the bumper.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
Well, thought the Germans were being clever...there are LEDs that emit multiple colors...http://www.superbrightleds.com/TriColor%20LED.htm

The reason I ask is that in the state of Blizzard (oops, I mean Wisconsin), it is illegal to have a turn signal any other other than amber.

a lot of states have that amber law.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
If anyone comes up with a quick clean cheaper install please let me now, My local guys would love to have this done.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
my bad, I was referring to swapping the bulb, ignore that post.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Site Sponsor
Originally Posted by SaintlySins
Most states that enforce DOT lighting standards will/do require yellow directionals up front. The new Audi's had to revamp the original prototype design just for this reason. It was so much cleaner before they 'had to' make the change.

Now - If they're squeezing twin sets of LED's into the housing, one strand with parking/driving lights and a separate yellow strand directional - then they've got a winner. But there'd have to be some relay replacements (and other wiring items) included.

As for the price - if it comes with all the above, I'm in, however if not ... it is too much. Add the cost of yanking the bumper, storing the car, waiting 4 days (sure, they'll get in, mod'd and out of Germany into our hands in 4 days ... ) installed and the bumper hung again, you're looking at a big bill. Half that price is approachable with all the other costs involved.

How would we handle warranty and bad bulb issues?

I am intrigued though - looking forward to your reply.

Im sending out an email to Speedart today, hopefully will get a response back before the weekend.

As for warranty claims, at the least you would have to send the leds to us and we can either fix them in house or have to send them back to germany. They claim they only need one business day to do what they need to do to make the drl's work, figure 2 days for overnight shipping back and forth and an extra day for time difference and unforseeable issues

Old 10-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Site Sponsor
you can purchase a set of new lights from speedart in germany and have them sent over for a direct replacement so there is no down time.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:46 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
Now you're talking Matt ... how much for the replacement? Is it the whole housing for an easy off/on replacement - or the lights themselves and I swap out the guts?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:28 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
changing the cluster is a cluster...

Old 10-23-2008, 07:15 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I think the lights are like $400 each from the last time I think gradyex and atomic80 had to replace them. That is US money. If you buy them from SpeedArt you will pay the Exchange rate in favor of the Euro.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't understand BBYWU --- " ... is a cluster ..." a cluster 'what' ???

Old 10-23-2008, 09:45 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
The cluster is the cluster of LEDs(amber turn signals) in the front. There are the LEDs then there is a peanut bulb at the end that is a 12v and the LED's are not 12V. You can service the peanut bulb pretty easily but in order to remove the cluster of LEDs you have to generally remove the bumper because your wiring harness runs back to the passenger side. So the the wires for the LED cluster runs along the inside of the front bumper skin so in order to remove them for shipping or remove them to fix it would generally require the removal of the bumper.

Also there is DOT issue that you mentioned before. The problem is that the peanut bulb that is white on the end of the cluster of LEDs do not blink. You can stick a silvervision peanut bulb or an amber bulb but it doesn't flash. I am not sure how states will allow for you to get away with it. Most states are pretty picky about an amber signal in the front of your car.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 PM
I know that gradyex and Jason had experimented with different LED bulbs for the parking light...apparently the LED burns warmer in a enclosed space than the incandescent bulb. I'm trying to find a wedge LED bulb with fewer LEDs or that burns cooler...thinking about using a IR thermometer to test temperatures.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Site Sponsor
Originally Posted by SaintlySins
Now you're talking Matt ... how much for the replacement? Is it the whole housing for an easy off/on replacement - or the lights themselves and I swap out the guts?

ok this just in from germany fellas......

Speedart first takes your OEM LED's and modifies them with White ones. These White LED's are almost the same cost of the OEM ones that are on your car right now. OEM ones are about $600-$700 euros for the pair and the white ones are just about the same and then theres shipping to and from speedart.

So.... You can buy the white ones from Speedart, at half the price almost but you still have to have someone install them into your OEM LED's.

Speedart has found a way to make your DRL's work as follows.

When Driving, they are white

When you flip your right our left signal or the hazard button, They flash orange.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Turn Signals to DRL Conversion........