997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bilstein B16 Damptronics Drop (aka WEAK) Links

Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TRGPete
Correction, they are curved to allow added clearance of the axles. Especially importanted when steering is turned lock to lock and the suspension moves through its arc.

That link is to our old site. Below is our new one.

Use this link: http://www.nexternal.com/trgparts/Product3923
Thanks Pete, just ordered a set!
c

Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I had the TRG links installed today by Spencer ***~the former Farnbacher-Loles shop (now called speed sport tuning, already mentioned this to the mods), once again a nice job. Fresh brake fluid, 4 corner balance, aggressive alignment.
I finally had one of the bilstein links pop out during a hard turn, I believe the issue is the geometry with aftermarket adjustable front sways. I actually rigged it back together and drove on it all week using some rubber cement around the bushing and pressing it in place with channel locks. Not fancy, but worked (You can take the boy outta the country, not the country outta da boy).
The TRG links are great, not jaring at all, very sturdy, fit like a glove.
Here is a crappy phone pic seconds before install.
c

Attached Images  

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 03-15-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:46 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
all of you guys are experiencing failures probably have the B16 sway link mounted inboard of the sway blades. When I installed mine I noticed that there was significant binding in this configuration (same way the stock link was installed). If you switch the sway link mounting to the outboard side of the sway blade, there is no issue. I have a done enough laps on hard cornering tracks (banked 120mph sweepers) to wear out the ball joint on the control arm but never popped out the sway link.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/1465634-post37.html

Old 03-16-2010, 07:53 AM
I did have mine mounted on the outboard side as I recall. My gmg bar is shaped slightly differently than the stock front bar, probably exaccerbating the tendency to bind up.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
all of you guys are experiencing failures probably have the B16 sway link mounted inboard of the sway blades.
Here is a photo from the Bilstein install instructions:

I really don't think the Bilstein drop links are up to task and the company remains a quite dismissive about their failures. Without acknowledgement, they have quietly changed the 996TT drop links. I do understand your point, but I think most drop links have been installed per Bilstein's own instructions; faulting the installation let's Bilstein off the hook a bit too easily.

Last edited by sparkhill; 03-16-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sparkhill
Here is a photo from the Bilstein install instructions:

I really don't think the Bilstein drop links are up to task and the company remains a quite dismissive about their failures. Without acknowledgement, they have quietly changed the 996TT drop links. I do understand your point, but I think most drop links have been installed per Bilstein's own instructions; faulting the installation let's Bilstein off the hook a bit too easily.
I would agree that the instructions are lacking. However the installers need to use some common sense. It is pretty obvious when the links go on that if you mount them as shown in figure 10 there will be excessive binding. When I did the job almost 3 years ago it was readily apparent that the units were not meant to be installed in the stock orientation regardless of bushing material-the geometry was all wrong

Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
all of you guys are experiencing failures probably have the B16 sway link mounted inboard of the sway blades. When I installed mine I noticed that there was significant binding in this configuration (same way the stock link was installed). If you switch the sway link mounting to the outboard side of the sway blade, there is no issue. I have a done enough laps on hard cornering tracks (banked 120mph sweepers) to wear out the ball joint on the control arm but never popped out the sway link.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/1465634-post37.html
I believe eclou (as expected) has finally solved the mystery of the popping drop link; or at least identify a major contributing factor.
Enclosed is picture of my installation as done by Lucent, Los Angeles, who has done a good number of these. We've never talked about it, but now that I look at the old pictures of my installation, I realize Lucent does it the exact same way as eclou's. Looking at the picture, you could see why installing on the inboard side of the blue sway blade would cause potential problem, especially as the wheel is turned at a severe angle. Installed inboard (the incorrect way), the drop link will have to "cross over" the sway blade and that's where I believe the popping occurs. The picture shows the Tarett drop link, but my Bilstein drop link is installed the same way.
Although I don't track the car, it's been driven by nutty semi-professionals (very rough) and nothing has popped.

I would suggest everyone to check your own and make sure it's installed the "correct" way.

Last edited by cannga; 03-16-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:51 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Mine are installed the same as Eclou and Cannga:

Above images are thumbnail clickable
<thumbnail clickable=""> </thumbnail>

Last edited by Alex_997TT; 03-17-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 PM
tranman329 is on a distinguished road
I just had mine redone today when they installed my front RSS sway bar. Has anyone installed the Tarret drop link on the rear and been able to go with the stiffest setting on the sways? My installer say he couldn't get the stiffest setting with the Tarret drop links. With my factory drop links i was able to.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Alex_997TT
Mine are installed the same as Eclou and Cannga:

Above images are thumbnail clickable
<THUMBNAIL clickable=""></THUMBNAIL>
So was mine, still popped.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
So was mine, still popped.
As were mine...Chris, FL set your car up right? Ruf did mine. I have to believe that there is some level of experience between the two and the installation has nothing to do with it. Bilstein's drop links are just plain weak.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
****So was mine****, still popped.
TT Surgeon, your memory might be off: it was NOT. I believe yours was installed on the wrong side -- inboard. You posted some pictures and I saw them at the time but since it was professionally prepped by such a big company I didn't feel like commenting; didn't think it would cause any problem until eclou pointed it out. (I do have good memory when it comes to anything Bilstein on 6speed. )

Bob, I do believe that eclou is right again. See above -- even the biggest of them, Farnbacher Loles or not, may make mistake. I assume yours is outboard like eclou's, Alex's, and mine? So far we have at least 2 that pop, sparkhill's and TT Surgeon's, that are both inboard.

Last edited by cannga; 03-19-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 AM
No, they were outboard, after that pic I adjusted them at the track, the only way I could get full stiff was going outboard. They were initially inboard, as per bilstein instructions, but for less than a week.
I don't know about you, but at the track I'm constantly adjusting my sways. But, thanks for keeping an eye on me....and my memory. I admit I forgot to check in with the board when I adjusted my sways, won't happen again I promise

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 03-19-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
I love the debates on here but somnetimes I wonder if Im at a AMA medical meeting rather than 6 speed as gas passers and surgeons square off, just like in the OR....

But Can., at least the surgeons cant boss ya round on 6 speed huh?...

Old 03-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bilstein B16 Damptronics Drop (aka WEAK) Links