997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bilstein B16 Damptronics Drop (aka WEAK) Links

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:18 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Bilstein B16 Damptronics Drop (aka WEAK) Links

The high failure rate of the poorly-designed Bilstein front drop links is well documented. I have Bilstein B16 Damptronics and RSS anti-roll bars installed. My Bilstein drop links have failed after 4K miles. Before I change to the Tarett drop links, I was wondering if anyone has other recommendations? Thanks.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:28 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Was RSS working on some?

Old 08-12-2009, 03:11 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
Was RSS working on some?
Yes, RSS does make them now and are in stock so I ordered a set. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
I run the same exact setup. How did you know your drop links went bad? Did the ride drastically change? Pardon the stupid question.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by NeilM
I run the same exact setup. How did you know your drop links went bad? Did the ride drastically change? Pardon the stupid question.
I heard an unusual (and noticeable) front suspension creaking sound coming out of my driveway. I took a corner fast and as the weight transfered to the front, I could hear the suspension noise again and upon turning a corner I routinely take pretty fast, the car handled a bit differently. When I looked under the car, I could see the drop link dangling.

Both RSS and Tarett sell replacement drop links for $275 and SharkWerks has seen lots of failures since Bilstein went the cheap route. It might be worth the swap next time you have your car on a lift just for the peace of mind.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
FYI, it is pretty easy to install the drop links wrongly by mistake. Been there, done that.

If they are inserted into the shock from BEHIND, they will pop apart in a short amount of time. They must be inserted through the tab on the shock from the FRONT of the car on both sides, with the lower ends residing inboard of the swaybar ends.

There are no clear instructions with the kit, so Bilstein may be getting an undeserved bad rap about this because of simple install error.

(I am sitting at my desk right now, so I can't tell from your pic which direction yours are pointing)

Originally Posted by sparkhill
The high failure rate of the poorly-designed Bilstein front drop links is well documented. I have Bilstein B16 Damptronics and RSS anti-roll bars installed. My Bilstein drop links have failed after 4K miles. Before I change to the Tarett drop links, I was wondering if anyone has other recommendations? Thanks.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:56 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
thanks! So if I look under the car now, it would be easy to see the drop links dangling if they're bad?

Old 08-12-2009, 04:00 PM
thanks! So if I look under the car now, it would be easy to see the drop links dangling if they're bad?
To look at your car, just turn the wheel away from the side you are looking at and peek in. You can also stick a digital camera in there and snap a photo.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Todd/AWE
FYI, it is pretty easy to install the drop links wrongly by mistake. Been there, done that.

If they are inserted into the shock from BEHIND, they will pop apart in a short amount of time. They must be inserted through the tab on the shock from the FRONT of the car on both sides, with the lower ends residing inboard of the swaybar ends.

There are no clear instructions with the kit, so Bilstein may be getting an undeserved bad rap about this because of simple install error.

(I am sitting at my desk right now, so I can't tell from your pic which direction yours are pointing)
Todd,

Thanks for the reply. Here are a couple more photos taken from the rear of the front wheel with the camera facing forward. My link sits on the inboard side on the sway bar but on the rear side of the shock. Should the shock end of the drop link have been installed from the front?

Old 08-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Bingo! There is your problem! I am actually surprised they lasted as long as they did in that position.

The tab/shock assembly is angled slightly, not vertical, so with the end link installed from the rear like on your car, it "over arcs" when turning the steering wheel and stresses the bond between the plastic and metal.

When installed from the front, the end is on the "down" side of the tab and it is not stressed when turning.

Everyone should check their end links for this orientation! It is a simple fix if they are not broken yet, you just swap side to side.

Todd,

Thanks for the reply. Here are a couple more photos taken from the rear of the front wheel with the camera facing forward. My link sits on the inboard side on the sway bar but on the rear side of the shock. Should the shock end of the drop link have been installed from the front?

Old 08-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Ok Todd. Just to make sure I follow what you're saying. In the last picture, the top end of the drop link need to be connected to the other end of that blue thing? Towards the front of the car?

Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Todd/AWE
Bingo! There is your problem! I am actually surprised they lasted as long as they did in that position.
Well, thanks! I guess this will serve as a PSA to everyone running the B16's: Stick a digital camera behind your front wheel and make sure your drop links are properly installed.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Former Vendor
Ok Todd. Just to make sure I follow what you're saying. In the last picture, the top end of the drop link need to be connected to the other end of that blue thing? Towards the front of the car?
The blue thing is the part that broke out of the end the loop shape on the end of the link. It is part of the end link.

There is a threaded stud coming out of the blue thing and that is facing away from the camera in this pic. It needs to be pointing towards the camera, which would be pointing towards the rear of the car, ON BOTH SIDES.

The end links are side specific and these were installed on the wrong side of the car.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor
Well, thanks! I guess this will serve as a PSA to everyone running the B16's: Stick a digital camera behind your front wheel and make sure your drop links are properly installed.
Yep, even if you installed beefier aftermarket ones, they too would bind up when turning if installed in this same orientation, causing wear and eventual failure.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:05 PM
I talked to a couple more shops and it sounds like the issue has at least as much to do with the fact that Bilstein switched from steel bushings on their earlier lines (PSS9, PSS10) to the cheap blue plastic bushings on the B16's. I am not sure whether one install direction fails more quickly than the other but I am certainly in no position to dispute what Todd@AWE has been kind enough to add. I just do not want my comments to cause people to become overly worried.

Tarett and RSS both offer all-metal drop links. I am installing the RSS front drop links this week so I will post a review soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bilstein B16 Damptronics Drop (aka WEAK) Links